Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Road-trip -> Brisbane to Port Macquarie to Dubbo to Brisb
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame
Road-trip -> Brisbane to Port Macquarie to Dubbo to Brisb

Hey all,

The GF and I are taking a road-trip later this month from Brisbane to Port Macquarie (to do a jet-fighter experience flight [can't wait]) then across to Dubbo (to go to the zoo) and then back up to Brisbane. It is our first road-trip in the FL2.

We are looking to take about a week all up (could be longer or shorter though) and apart from those two definite destinations we were just going to 'wing-it'.

Does anyone have any suggestions on good places to pop into on the way? Any *easy* 4WD tracks worth popping into on the way past, you know for a good look-out or something? Places where I should definitely not stop?

Any hints on what to do to prepare the car? Any particular supplies to take with us that are FL2 specific? We will be getting RACQ cover since we ran out of warranty/roadside-assist earlier this year. Does anyone know what the mobile phone coverage is like on the route (using a Virgin/Optus mobile)?

Cheers for the help,
Whytey 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #100780 4th May 2011 4:54 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

You can do some beach driving at both Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour. I would go to Dubbo via Gloucester as there are a stack of easy fire trails around Barrington Tops. Good scenery with lookouts. On the way home Coonabarabran is the astronomy capital of Australia and well worth a visit. At Dubbo zoo, do some paid attractions. They don't cost much really and are well worth it. Things like going behind the scenes and feeding the lions and tigers. Its a big zoo that you drive through so you sometimes need binoculars to see an animal sleeping. I hear the sleep over is good as well.
Mobile coverage is hit and miss the further west you go unless with Telstra. I'm with Vodafone (until next month thank goodness) and had reception in Port and Dubbo. A lot of towns you think should be covered are not.
Be careful in Port Macquarie as its the only town I've had friends mugged in, 2 of them on separate occasions would you believe. Kempsey is a bit rough as well. I'm not saying Port is rough, its actually a nice looking place, just saying what happened to 2 separate friends there. Have a great trip. Mike

Post #100833 4th May 2011 2:52 pm
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

And we're back!

Duration: 7 nights; Distance: 2,258.6km; Avg Speed: 70.1km/h; Fuel: 10.1l/100km.

Map of the trip on Google Maps.

The car performed well. Nice and comfy all the time even when driving for ~7 hours one of the days. It got quite dirty, mainly at Mount Barney just yesterday thanks to the dust tracks, but it is all sparkly and clean again now. A few new stone chips around the place which is very annoying.

On the leg between Stanthorpe and Mount Barney, we did the Mount Lindesay Road, which was about 70kms of windy mountain road. Very annoying to drive and a little hairy when I met a semi-trailor who somehow managed to be going twice as fast as I could possibly go coming the opposite way around the corner. Anyway, whilst doing this windy road, I noticed that there was some whining coming from the steering, which I can only assume is down to it all being over-worked since it has stopped now.

Will try and upload a couple of pics, but nothing too exciting. 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #102870 22nd May 2011 11:20 am
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sounds great. At least you "got out there", quite unlike many of the forum members who seem to sit at home perched on their PC's waiting to lay . . . . on those who choose to use the Freelanders for the purpose they were intended.
I found it a great let-down looking back on either still photos (which might have nice backgrounds) or videos (where it's either too bumpy, too scratchy, too boring, too small etc).
. . . anyhow*, we all get it. Hope you enjoyed the trip - next time, go further north and I'll give you plenty of tips. Queensland is re-open for business! Cheers, JK

Post #102876 22nd May 2011 12:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1