Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > The thingy that slides over the luggage compartment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
hmonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Zermatt Silver
The thingy that slides over the luggage compartment

Can't remember what it is called, but the thing that you pull across to cover the luggage comaprtment popped out the other day whilst i was driving along - no damage, but it made a hell of a racket and nearly gave me a coronary. Problem is, I can;t get the pesky thing to lock in properly. The end that locks has two spring loaded tabs - one that comes out the bottom that seems to be a tensioner and one that comes out the end that locates in a slot to lock it in. Well, it is supposed to locate in the slot, but I can't get it to go in!!!

Anyone else have this problem - is it just a case of brute force to push the dang thing in?

Post #6813 15th Sep 2007 7:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

hmonster take the cover mechanism out. Then put the left side properly in place - you don't have to press anything yet. Last, push the spring mechanism on the right side in, let the whole cover mechanism sit in place on the right side and then release the spring lever. That should do it. Hope this helped... Cool

Post #6817 15th Sep 2007 9:09 am
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Because of the way my car gets used I remove the luggage bay cover frequently, in fact just removed it not 30 minutes ago!

On mine it is certainly not the case that brute is needed to remove/replace it, if that level of force is required it sounds like something may be wrong.

There are 2 spring loaded tabs on both ends of the main body of the cover. The ones in the right hand end, (looking into the back of the car towards the front) have an override catch that you operate to allow for removal of the cover. Plus on the right end there is an additional tab on the underside. All these tabs are quite easy to operate with finger pressure.

When replacing the cover I tend to locate the left end first then right end and operate the catch at the same time, I've just found that to be easier than slamming it into place, which might be another option! Once it is in place I always give the body a good tug (there you go Carl ...) to make sure it is secure.

The way the flexible cover locks in place by the tailgate isn't perfect, I could see that becoming detached, the cover rewinding at speed and causing the main body to jump out of place. I wonder if thats what happened to you hmonster? The construction and operation of the luggage cover is something I've noted as a poor compared with my previous car.

Post #6818 15th Sep 2007 9:13 am
hmonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Zermatt Silver

I popped it into the local dealer today ,and they confirmed that the luggage cover does not fit - so it is not just me being a bit thick. They have a new one on order so hopefully this will fix it!

Thanks everybody for your input.

The "popping out" of the cover actually occurred at the crossbar end - I guess where the tab on the right hand side does not locate properly, the bar tends to twist up at the back when you pull the cover across, and as it is always under tension it only takes a little pothole or something to give it the "bounce" it needs to jump out of the trough it sits in.

Post #6840 15th Sep 2007 6:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Have I said something................ Whistle Embarassed Wink

Post #6851 15th Sep 2007 9:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1