Home > General > Saris solo bike carrier
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
joe1978

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White
Saris solo bike carrier

Hi all,

I've recently taken up cycling and it a PITA to get the bike in and out of the boot every day.
It's only me cycling and this has been recommended by a few LBS and online forums

Now i have been trying to figure out how I could attach it and 2 different retailers have suggested the position in red on the photo resting on the MY11 long boot shelf. It is the best aesthetically but would it be safe?

The other option would be the blue position but this would temporarily obstruct the number plate Whistle

fl2.1 by joett1978, on Flickr

What think you all??

Ta

joe MY11 Fuji white Td4 150 GS straight up no mixer.

Post #99227 19th Apr 2011 5:55 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Saris solo bike carrier

joe1978 wrote:
Hi all,

I've recently taken up cycling and it a PITA to get the bike in and out of the boot every day.
It's only me cycling and [url=http://www.saris.com/index.php?

fl2.1 by joett1978, on Flickr

What think you all??

Ta

joe

Its not really a good idea putting you bike on the back of a Freelander, I did it, once, the bike gets extremely filthy in wet weather as FL2 tends to pick up all the dirt going on the back like no bodies business, your bike gets trashed and needs a wash before you can use it, if you dont want to end up looking like a tramp afterwards that is.
Yes it takes a few minutes more to put it inside the back but its better to do so in my opinion if its just the one bike. I was only wrong once and thats when I thought I was but wasnt.

2010 Freelander 2 XS Stornaway Grey
2010 Aston DBS Morning Frost
2010 Bentley Continental Brooklands Green

Post #99229 19th Apr 2011 6:13 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Remember blocking the number plate will mean points on the licence

Dependant on position you might also need a light board which would mean towing electrics, and for the extra cost if needed a tow bar would be the best carrying option IMO Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #99233 19th Apr 2011 6:19 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

a high mount one from halfrauds does the trick,leaves lights and plate visible, no need to buy a f'ing towbar to hold up a bike or two Rolling Eyes (vanist propaganda)
however if you want to use it very regularly and/or you need secure locking then you need a under bumper bike rack mounting bar Whistle

mine uses the red positions, take fuse out of rear wiper as it will come on when you select reverse in the rain no matter how good you are at not putting it on yourself Confused At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Last edited by chicken george on 19th Apr 2011 8:35 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #99234 19th Apr 2011 6:26 pm
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

It looks stylish but......
If the bike does obscure the plate, can you attach a second plate holder? traditional racks have bars to attach one to. Also is there anything to stop the bike swinging back and forth whilst driving. It appears to be secured by only the top tube?
I think positioning will be self evident once you fit it, ie you will judge the safest most secure position.
I was always a bit paranoid when using a strap on BIKE carrier about straps working loose, so often stopped to check/tighten. I think a tow hitch version would be a better choice.....sorry not to be more helpful!, JT Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #99235 19th Apr 2011 6:33 pm
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

"under bumber bike rack mounting bar" is CG's euphimism for a Tow Bar!, I agree about the rear wiper, often comes on when you select reverse so you cannot rely on remembering not to switch it on....... Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #99236 19th Apr 2011 6:38 pm
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I would go for the tow bar option, safe and secure and less chance of the bike falling of, Thule make all sorst of racks and i have never had a problem with them, my Thule rack drops down if you need to get in to the boot.

Post #99246 19th Apr 2011 7:40 pm
dunroof

npinks wrote:
Remember blocking the number plate will mean points on the licence

Dependant on position you might also need a light board which would mean towing electrics, and for the extra cost if needed a tow bar would be the best carrying option IMO

Nope, this part of the Registration and Licensing Act only allows for a non endorsable fixed penalty to be issued or if thats refused, inapplicable etc. straight to court, but points is not compulsory nor even discretional for the offence. Same sort of thing for seatbelts, lighting regulations, obstruction.

Post #99260 19th Apr 2011 8:33 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

toeknee wrote:
I would go for the under bumper bike rack mounting bar option, safe and secure and less chance of the bike falling of, Thule make all sorst of racks and i have never had a problem with them, my Thule rack drops down if you need to get in to the boot.
 At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #99261 19th Apr 2011 8:35 pm
joe1978

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Thanks for all the input!! I meant to say the dots are where the feet would sit and the lines the straps.

I never considered the movement of the bike due to the only connection being the cross bar.

I think the solo is the only 1 bike carrier around I really can't justify a towbar fitting for one bike. Swmbo has made it clear she has no interest in cycling at all!!

Back to the drawing board then Big Cry MY11 Fuji white Td4 150 GS straight up no mixer.

Post #99264 19th Apr 2011 8:40 pm
toeknee

CG thanks for pointing out my mistake , but i have towed just once with it Whistle so that sort means it’s a tow bar, but it was a trailer from last years Yorkshire Show, helping out one of my Farmer mates

Post #99279 19th Apr 2011 10:09 pm
ad210358

England 

Mind you don't get Cherry Blossom Poisoning Toeknee Whistle

Post #99280 19th Apr 2011 10:24 pm
toeknee

Think he'll understand, it was for a mate and a farmer at that Rolling with laughter

Post #99281 19th Apr 2011 10:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1