Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > New LR2 XS - Is it worth keeping?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bananaman

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Fuji White
New LR2 XS - Is it worth keeping?

Hi everybody,

I'v had my new FL2 XS auto since the middle of December 2010 and it has now let me down 4 times (it was dead when I tried to start it, key gets stuck in ignition and it won't lock unless you do it manually and even then the tailgate is still open) AA has been out twice, land rover assist out once and once I jump started it and took it in.

I love the car but it cost me a lot of money and I don't feel that a £30,000 + motor should be letting me down this much. It's currently back at the main dealers with 4 software faults, engine management problems and its stuck in gear even though I left it in park.

I was wondering if any of you guys or girls had experienced anything similar and if so what was the outcome?

Did you push for a replacement or a refund or hang on in there and and let them sort it out or end up regretting it?

Any info much appreciated Bow down

Post #98666 13th Apr 2011 9:46 pm
dunroof

You'll be lucky! There is a recent thread on a guy having serious trouble with his motor. The problems your having are annoying, but not a reason to dump the car on the dealers forecourt and demand your cash back - mores the pity.

Bottom line is employ a Solicitor if you think you have a case.

Post #98669 13th Apr 2011 9:57 pm
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Involve a lawyer and setlle for nothing less than a replacement with a new car. Done that (not in UK), but you should not settle for some car that is letting you down all the time. 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #98672 13th Apr 2011 10:03 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I think you should give the dealer chance to fix you car. Make sure you get a loan car and don't give it back until your car is sorted Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #98686 13th Apr 2011 11:05 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Involve customer services, keep phoning them and asking for update on repairs, voice dissatisfaction, and keep at them.
I involved them from day 1 of the vibration problems with my 10my GS, they did help and eventually came up with a very substantial cash contribution along with dealer discount for a 11my SD GS.
I accepted this as car was by then 9 months old and 12k on clock.
It never let me down, just very annoying vibration at 70mph/1800rpm.

Although a fair outcome it should NEVER have had to happen, it still cost me money for a defect in a new vehicle.
I weighed up all the options of going down legal route against offer and decided on the quick easy route. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #98713 14th Apr 2011 9:42 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

Wintermute wrote:
Involve a lawyer and setlle for nothing less than a replacement with a new car. Done that (not in UK), but you should not settle for some car that is letting you down all the time.

agree, demand a replacement car, you don't need all this hassle, and you don't want to be left with a lemon.

Iain

Post #98717 14th Apr 2011 10:24 am
Triple7

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

My take. Give them the time to fix it, it's not their fault either. If you have lost confidence in the vehicle, I would look at their other cars and trade it in. You can't expect to get your money back in this case as you have put miles on the car. Might be the most expensive way forward, but electrical gremlins are the hardest things to rectify. 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #98753 14th Apr 2011 4:00 pm
Bananaman

Thanks for the advice chaps,

I picked it back up today after calling them to find out what was going on.

There was a fault in the electronics module and a blown fuse apparently......LR assist had put a new battery on it Sunday trying to fix it and that had been charged up as well. According to the very nice man from LR assist, the battery that is put on from new, sucks.

Whilst I am aware that it is not the dealers fault personally, I bought it from them and they will have to deal with the fallout if it breaks down again. I can't fault there service people, they have been nothing but pleasant and helpful from day 1, but I didn't spend £30,000 + of my hard earned to put up with a dodgy vehicle.

If I get anymore problems i'll post and let people know the outcome, and then if somebody is unfortunate enough to get a Friday afternoon lemon, maybe it will help them.

Post #98775 14th Apr 2011 8:39 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

keep the faith!! Very Happy

Back in 2008 my 2 month old FL2 developed an annoying knocking noise whenever i went over a bump, sped up, slowed down (basically all the time!!). Took 3 attempts and 6 months to sort and i lost alot of patience in the process. In the end dealer came good and finally sorted it and i was rewarded with the best driving car I had ever owned.

Hope they get it sorted for ya! Thumbs Up Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #98779 14th Apr 2011 9:25 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

is it still behaving itself ? fingers crossed.

Have you ever left it parked more than 3 weeks ? before you have used it ?

I have had a pig of a freelander and after 2.5 years its fixed by myself and now the best vehicle I have ever had, I have to say I'm not sure about the competence of the dealerships. I think bonuses get in the way of fixing ! Complicated yes but anything can be fixed with common sense and a bit of application.
I looked at getting shot of mine after a few months to by Ford kuga as my Ford dealers have always given ,me very attentive service but the Freelander now I have to say is the better vehicle so glad i stuck it out.

Post #99918 26th Apr 2011 3:29 pm
Bananaman

Hi Guys,

The FL2 is still OK so far. It doesn't get time to sit still with two young kids so I can't comment. It generally gets used everyday.

One thing I have noticed and that is fuel consumption. When it was brand new it was doing 31 miles per gallon on average, and that is for approx 15 miles at 50mph and then around town. Just before the last set of probs, it had dropped to 28 (same journey).

Its now back to 31-32 and I even got 36 on Monday after a run to the coast. Whilst it could be coincidence, I don't think so. Hopefully MPG will improve as the car gets more miles on it (currently 4000) and I won't have anymore problems.

Post #99945 26th Apr 2011 6:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1