« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Knocking noise when slowing down
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mark12

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Ipanema Sand
Knocking noise when slowing down

Last week I noticed that my 3 week old MY11 TD4 makes a gentle knocking noise when slowing down, just before the car comes to a dead stop. It is only a single knock I can hear, but, if I rest my hand on the gear level I can also feel it. It is as if something is disengaging.

Before I ring the dealer and ask them to look at it I am wondering if anyone else has this issue or is it a characteristic of the car.

Post #97521 3rd Apr 2011 3:40 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I had a similar issue. Just a single knock would occur when pulling away and also when braking. Having taken advice on here I took it to LR dealer explaining how others had complained about a similar issue that involved a loose panel in the B pillar if memory serves me well. LR said it was a problem they were aware of and duly modified the part under warranty. No problems since touch wood. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #97523 3rd Apr 2011 4:20 pm
Mark12

I did a search on the forum for issues with knocking noises and saw the problem you and others experienced in another thread.

In my case I am not sure if I have the same problem as I can actually feel the doc when holding the gear leaver.

Post #97527 3rd Apr 2011 5:32 pm
jobbo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Auto Lago Grey

Hi - thid sounds exactly like my issue (posted by JOBBO). I have not noticed it feeding back through the gear lever but i have an auto so less likely to have experienced this, although I will try next time just to see. Its just a gentle knocking mainly at low speed. My local dealer has accepted that this is an issue, so If I were you I would get in touch with your dealer as well. I am with Beadles Land Rover in Sidcup South East London. I don't know how much these guys talk to eachother but hoping that information is shared - may save a lot of time and hassle.
Cheers and good luck....I'll keep my thread updated, please do the same.

Post #97572 3rd Apr 2011 10:43 pm
Mark12

jobbo wrote:
Hi - thid sounds exactly like my issue (posted by JOBBO). I have not noticed it feeding back through the gear lever but i have an auto so less likely to have experienced this, although I will try next time just to see. Its just a gentle knocking mainly at low speed. My local dealer has accepted that this is an issue, so If I were you I would get in touch with your dealer as well. I am with Beadles Land Rover in Sidcup South East London. I don't know how much these guys talk to eachother but hoping that information is shared - may save a lot of time and hassle.
Cheers and good luck....I'll keep my thread updated, please do the same.

Got my car booked into the dealers for this Thursday. They are going to check out the knocking noise and also why my Eco mode has not worked since the first week I picked the car up.

I will keep this thread updated in case anyone else experiences the same problem as I am having.

Post #97694 4th Apr 2011 7:34 pm
Mark12

I had my car in Farnells Bradford today so they could investigate the knocking noise and they told me the noise I can hear and feel is a Characteristic of the Freelander Shocked They said they had compared it to another FL they had and it was the same as mine.

Not convinced so I am going to take the car back to the dealer where I purchased the car from and ask to test drive another FL to see if it also has the knock I can hear and feel.

Whilst the car was in with them I also asked them to check the Eco mode, which has not worked since the first week I had the car. They told me they had "Tweeked' some software setting, surprise surprise, drove the 33 miles home from work and not once did the engine cut.

So marks out of 10 for Farnells ....... Zero.

Post #98100 7th Apr 2011 8:01 pm
Mark12

Well I have finally found out what the knocking noise I can hear and feel is. It is the solenoid disengaging the locking mechanism which prevents you from accidentally putting the car into reverse gear when you are travelling in a forward gear.

Post #98418 11th Apr 2011 7:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1