Home > Maintenance & Modifications > power point in boot
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
krankyd

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver
power point in boot

HI,

Can anyone tell me if there was / is an option to get an additional powersocket (cigarette type) in the boot instead of the back row of seats? I do a bit of camping / touring, and it's a bit of a bain having my coolbox in the backseat where I usually stow it away in the boot out of sight. Problem is the lead is just that little bit too short to reach from the boot to the socket by the rear seats!

Any thoughts?

Post #6471 10th Sep 2007 9:22 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Even if it isn't available as option it would not be overly complicated to install or have one installed in the boot area.

However, the easiest solution and most cost effective by far is to buy an extension (see below link as example). If it is a normal cable (instead of coiled) you can route it under the carpet and into the boot from the socket in the back seat area to keep it tidy, or just plug it in when you need it and feed into the boot over the seats.......which will not look as clean but for the few occasions you'll need it and ease of installation it would be my choice.

http://www.cetsolar.com/cigplugs.htm

Alternatively you could just add some wire into the cool box cable to extend it.

Post #6473 10th Sep 2007 9:34 am
krankyd

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

Cool - never thought of that Smile

Post #6474 10th Sep 2007 9:51 am
RoamerReg

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver
Power Point in boot

Our local LR agent fitted one for us in our FL1 and it was really useful. It wasn't very expensive either,-yours will give you a quote. The trouble with leads everywhere is that they catch up in all the other equipment you carry when travelling. We have just taken delivery of a FL2 and will certainly get one fitted in the boot again

Post #6863 16th Sep 2007 11:20 am
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

PowerPoint in the boot .... why .... would you want PowerPoint in the boot, I get enough of that at work Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #6884 16th Sep 2007 9:44 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Mad fool!!! Laughing Laughing

Post #6888 16th Sep 2007 10:25 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

avtur wrote:
PowerPoint in the boot .... why .... would you want PowerPoint in the boot, I get enough of that at work Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

So you can give presentations at the Freel2 meets! Laughing

Post #6904 17th Sep 2007 8:59 am
mburton2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I just got hold of the main parts (Including a LR Green glow-ring, so I can illuminate it too!) to add one into the rear of mine...Might have a go over this comming weekend. '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #9948 13th Nov 2007 9:02 pm
muddywheels

England 

Thought this thread might be of interest.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic1062.html?highlight=boot+power

Post #9957 13th Nov 2007 10:22 pm
mburton2

Oooh...thanks! Thumbs Up I'd just been out in the garage, wondering how the hell to take the side panel off without damaging it!... '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #9960 13th Nov 2007 10:34 pm
mburton2

Power point added to the boot today. Pic included in my Gallary.

The Censored Pilot broke on the hole-cutter I was uing to go through the trim...managed to mnake some nasty looking gouge's Evil or Very Mad Embarassed which realy Censored me off!.. But its done.

I also increased the brightness of the dull lamp in the boot, by replaceing it with a high-power white LED bulb. '57 FL2 GS

Post #10227 17th Nov 2007 5:19 pm
DeanoUK

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black

Hi mburton2, I don't suppose you have any info on where you sourced your Power point from, and how / where you connected it back too? Also intrested in where you got the LED for the boot?

Shame about the Censored bit snapping

Post #10228 17th Nov 2007 5:27 pm
mburton2

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/u36w6-39mm-cool...-1384.html is the LED bulb I put in the back

I got power from the supply that the Tow-bar people added (3rd party Towbar), it was a huge perm +ve wire, with a 10A puse inline. I changed the "input" to the fuse, to a piggy-back style I had, added anther 10A fuse & Holder.

The Original whire had been Scotch-locked onto a wire from the fusebox, next to the spare wheel, but it had been re-taped up, so I dont know which one, Sorry Sad

I also utilised the additional Earthing point Indespension (TowBar fitters) had made, when fitting the Towbar, as it was just in the right place, I just crimped on a eyelet, & I was done.

The Powerpoint is also illuminated (When the lights are one), and this was just a Scotchlock onto the green/purple wire from the rear light cluster. '57 FL2 GS

Post #10229 17th Nov 2007 6:05 pm
wildrover

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Indus Silver

Hi MB2,
ouch, that cutter certainly made some damage.
I'm planning to install a socket in the next few weeks. Before I start, is the position you installed yours the only place available due to what's behind the panel or can it be installed anywhere? I was thinking of putting mine on that sloping part below where you have yours or maybe closer to the tail-gate at the same height as yours. The sloping section might not be a good idea in case something moved in boot and hit the plug so the height you have installed at might be a safer option. Or being left handed, maybe on the right side. Some manufacturers install them on the right and some on the left so maybe it's something to do with keeping it away from the fuel nozzle side. Shouldn't be a problem with diesels.
Thanks... Out with the old (2007 SE)
In with the new (2012 Dynamic with everything). Now also gone.

Post #10512 23rd Nov 2007 3:43 pm
mack

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

mburton2 wrote:
Power point added to the boot today. Pic included in my Gallary.

The Censored Pilot broke on the hole-cutter I was uing to go through the trim...managed to mnake some nasty looking gouge's Evil or Very Mad Embarassed which realy Censored me off!.. But its done.

I also increased the brightness of the dull lamp in the boot, by replaceing it with a high-power white LED bulb.
Hi MB , just wondered where did you get the LED for the boot light? Mack

HSE TD4 Sumatra Black

Post #10535 23rd Nov 2007 11:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>