Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Sport mode on auto box.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
russben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

The furthest I have been off road so far is playing in the snow we had earlier this year, and the manual gearbox suited me fine. Yes, the auto is probably easier to use in proper off road situations, but 95%+ of my driving is on road and as an advanced trained driver I prefer to select what gear I am in.
My company vehicle is an auto, and it is forever changing up a gear as I slow down to make a turn when in town. This also means there is less engine braking available.
Yes, you can select command shift on the Freel2, but then what was the point of buying an automatic if you have to change gear yourself? Like I said in my earlier post, I find auto boxes really frustrating.

Each to their own, though. Neither is right or wrong, just different choices. Very Happy Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Gone - 2008 Freel2 HSE Santorini Black
Hello - 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black

Post #98405 11th Apr 2011 3:27 pm
EYorkshire

Quote:
My company vehicle is an auto, and it is forever changing up a gear as I slow down to make a turn when in town. This also means there is less engine braking available.
Yes, you can select command shift on the Freel2, but then what was the point of buying an automatic if you have to change gear yourself?

This is where I wouldn't use "Command Shift" but use "Sport mode" in a town, it holds on to the gears longer and is reluctant to change up to early thereby giving some engine braking. Suits me and I'm still using it in Auto, but yes, whatever turns you on and you're happy with, that's what counts. Wink

In truth I won't come out onside of one or the other, each has it's merits and is an individuals choice.

Post #98406 11th Apr 2011 3:36 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Chances are Russben it's not actually changing up a gear as you turn into a junction, just disconnecting drive Thumbs Up Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #98416 11th Apr 2011 7:19 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

YAWN!

Post #98421 11th Apr 2011 7:39 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Another thing about using the "sport" mode is that not only does it hang onto the gears longer, it also locks out 6th gear although if you then manually shift you can force it into 6th with command shift How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #98427 11th Apr 2011 8:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123