« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Olympics 2012
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mini-eggs

Wales 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Bali Blue
Olympics 2012

So tickets are now available to apply for, Who's going???

Being really into biking, Im going to aim to go to the mountain bike races which are in essex, should be a nice afternoon, find a nice spot on the course, sit down and watch.

But in two minds whether to go for the BMX, I'd like to go and see the event and the olympic park, but puzzling over how easy is it going to be to get into London with a gf, 1 young child and a baby, where to park the car etc. during the height of the olympics.

Would love to go to the velodrome but Censored tickets are pricey.

Post #95466 17th Mar 2011 10:32 am
EYorkshire

It is a bit expensive, my wife keeps a horse for riding so I would like to surprise her with tickets for the 'show jumping' but perhaps I will just buy her a Chinese takeaway and let her watch it on TV. Very Happy
£20-£95 for the qualifiers and £275 for the finals Shocked

If we do decide to go I wouldn't entertain driving into London, it would have to be by Tube from the outer reaches, even then their will be thousands doing the same thing. With a family it would be a 'bummer' trying to get around up to your eyeballs in baby needs Sad

Post #95476 17th Mar 2011 12:19 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

bar the atmosphere the coverage will be better on TV

and thats were i won't be watching it Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #95477 17th Mar 2011 12:23 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Splash out and buy a ticket to something. We had the Olympics in Sydney not so long ago and the whole city pumps. Everyone just lifts and packs away the nasty shoes for the duration of the event (including the Paralympics shortly afterwards). It's worth experiencing the hustle and bustle to get to events. Everyone is happy and in high spirits. England is doing exceptionally well in all manner of international sports at the moment so there will be plenty of "glory" moments. You will be surprised how well the public transport system will operate and there should be plenty of facilities for people with babies, disabilities, caravans an so forth.

Post #95478 17th Mar 2011 12:42 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

is there anything in Leeds for the olympics? Diving or anything Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #95484 17th Mar 2011 1:01 pm
taztastic

England 

jaksbak@freel2 wrote:
Splash out and buy a ticket to something. We had the Olympics in Sydney not so long ago and the whole city pumps. Everyone just lifts and packs away the nasty shoes for the duration of the event (including the Paralympics shortly afterwards). It's worth experiencing the hustle and bustle to get to events. Everyone is happy and in high spirits. England is doing exceptionally well in all manner of international sports at the moment so there will be plenty of "glory" moments. You will be surprised how well the public transport system will operate and there should be plenty of facilities for people with babies, disabilities, caravans an so forth.

Your havin a laugh Laughing

London roads are nowhere near the standard of Sydney, the rail system is already at capacity.
The pricing and ticket allocation seems to be biased towards the rich and coporate end of the market, who will no doubt helicopter and limo themselves around.

Agree with others.....Bar is best

Post #95485 17th Mar 2011 1:02 pm
mini-eggs

Wales 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Bali Blue

Well i've now read that "limited parking" will be available, if you get tickets you can apply for parking, preference is given to disabled and members of national sports clubs. London is bad enough as it is, so during the olympics dont think I stand a chance of getting there let alone parking for the day.

Hmmmmmmmmm looks like i might just stick to the events outside of London, I'm just glad the 1 i'm really into should be easy to do Smile

Post #95490 17th Mar 2011 1:12 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Really fancy going,
Was looking at a 3 day trip for the family, but you have pay up front for events/ tickets, before you you know want tickets your getting Surprised , plus you have to mix your trip with good events and not so good events and the Costs are MEGA Shocked .

Can see we will be Watching it on the TV with a cold beer !!!
Sad because if it wasn't a Censored ballot for the tickets I would pay the silly prices and go Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #95491 17th Mar 2011 1:12 pm
dunroof

Yeah, I'll apply, opening or closing will do and anthing else inbetween it's all multiply by 5, deep joy, but it's unlikely to happen again in our lifetime!

Post #95498 17th Mar 2011 2:08 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i doubt it will happen in our lifetime again, and if it did ever again, we will still be paying for this one Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #95501 17th Mar 2011 2:19 pm
Andy66

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Got to say that I got a copy of all the ticket prices and Censored me! Are they taking the Censored !!

Some of the prices are only for a 1-2 hour slot!

Think I will be watching on the telly, which is a shame as I travel on the train everyday and go past the stadium and the swimming pool and I'd really like to see them close up.

Andrew

Post #95505 17th Mar 2011 2:39 pm
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

npinks wrote:
is there anything in Leeds for the olympics? Diving or anything

Just Olympic drinking same as every weekend.....

is it that long since you came into town? Where would they do anything else? There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #95509 17th Mar 2011 2:56 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Isn't there a olympic swimming pool?

There was when I was a kid Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #95511 17th Mar 2011 2:58 pm
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: Olympics 2012

mini-eggs wrote:

Being really into biking, Im going to aim to go to the mountain bike races which are in essex, should be a nice afternoon, find a nice spot on the course, sit down and watch.

I live in Hadleigh and from what we can see, there's very little space that you could just plonk yourself down and watch. The tickets are for standing and look to effectively be next to the track. And 40quid is pretty steep, more so than the track if the critics are to be believed. Looks pretty bloody steep to me. Shocked For a free country, it does seem pretty expensive these days.

Post #95525 17th Mar 2011 5:53 pm
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

npinks wrote:
Isn't there a olympic swimming pool?

There was when I was a kid Laughing

There WAS but it was demolished a couple of years ago. The problem was when they put the tiles on it was 1" too short - no body had thought about it....

There is a new pool out towards Elland road but I've not tried it yet - Don't think it is olympic size though - 'short course ' I think it is called. There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #95550 17th Mar 2011 9:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>