« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > FL2 TD4 2.2 diesel - AUTOMATIC GEARBOX
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dvitezi2

Croatia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
FL2 TD4 2.2 diesel - AUTOMATIC GEARBOX

Just a question for somebody who's (obviously) more technical than myself: I had a discussion with a friend of mine(who is VW car mechanic, BTW) - while engine is running(automatic gearbox), and car is stopped, like on the traffic light - IS IT (OR NOT) BETTER TO SWITCH TO ''N'' neutral OR TO KEEP IT IN ''D'' drive and hold it against the brake, like usual you do with automatic cars?
It is a first automatic for me, but according to friend of mine, VW DSG gearboxes are designed to keep it in ''D'' all the time, otherwise it may affect the gearbox electronics?
Any (reasonable) explanation will be appreciated,...c'mon guys!

Post #94550 8th Mar 2011 9:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
EYorkshire

Similar questions have been asked in the past, also by myself before buying an auto. Alex has answered these in detail but basically says that very little heat is generated by the transmission oil when leaving it in drive for the small amount of time the lights are against you.
Obviously if you are annoyed by the guys brake lights on in front of you at lights then spare a thought for the driver behind, if it's going to be a minute or two then pop it into neutral.

DSG gearboxes are not similar to the FL2 so cannot answer for a DSG box.

Post #94562 8th Mar 2011 10:16 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

I only learnt the other day from a mate that DSG's have to have oil changed every 50k and that the early versions had a wet clutch Shocked ... either way the general rule is that both DSG's and auto box's are generally OK when kept in drive and stopped at the lights - the difference is that a DSG is just like a manual in that it has a cluth that the computer controls and so when you pull up to a halt the computer disengages the clutch and so you should see no wear. An automatic generally speaking will not disingage drive as the torque converter is allways spinning however it is thought that the impact of keeping it in drive and warming up the transmission oil is less then the mechanical process of selecting nuetral.

As YorkshireT says, pay consideration to tailgaters with possible light sensitivity as they may be offended by your break lights! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #94564 8th Mar 2011 10:23 pm
dvitezi2

Croatia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Guys, thanks for your oppinions and time .I guess, next service at the dealer I will raise the same question, to see what will be mechanic's idea. Thumbs Up

Post #94597 9th Mar 2011 12:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alex_pescaru

Captain Worm has answered to your question very well.

Also look at this thread: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic7902.html

As for what your VW mechanic said, in my opinion, you can't damage a gearbox by using it. Except the cases when you intentionally (or less) do something wrong. But stationary you can shift all you want between gears and you won't damage anything for sure.
In fact shifting repeatedly in and out of "D" and "R" is part of the initial learning procedure of the FL2 autobox.
If it was a problem with shifting it out of "D" to "N", then this ought to be said in the manual.
The only problem is that the box needs about 1 second to engage gears ("D" or "R) from Neutral and this could be a problem if you need to move quickly in an eventuality. One second could make the difference...

Post #94601 9th Mar 2011 7:36 am
LRFTW

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Baltic Blue

I damaged 2 auto boxes in my *ahem* modified camper by not having the kick down connected so boxes are all different and can be broken [Smile]

Post #94620 9th Mar 2011 11:52 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1