Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > HST rear wheel movement and knocking when rocked on ground
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Sawood

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Stornoway Grey
HST rear wheel movement and knocking when rocked on ground

Hello, I have spent a long time searching the forum for this problem but it’s quite hard to describe in standard terms.

Simply put, my nearside rear wheel rocks when you grab hold of it and rock it. Normally I would say wheel bearing but this rocking disappears entirely when the wheel is off the ground. It also doesn’t return when the wheel is back on the ground, until the car is moved and the suspension re-settles.

All of this is best seen in a video which you can even hear the knocking in:
When driving the wheel feels like it’s moving all over the place!

Any ideas please? I was hoping just loose top mount bolts, but could it be something else? Halfords (pff) replaced the top mount 6 months ago before I owned the car. Could they have fitted it wrong? Where to start?

I know the shock is on its way out, but didn’t want to replace this and still have the dangerous movement.

Many thanks. Freelander 2 HST

Post #367940 6th Mar 2019 9:32 pm
Largered

I had a similar problem. Turned out, 1 of the 5, wheel nuts was loose, well not torqued up properly.

Post #367941 6th Mar 2019 9:40 pm
Sawood

Thanks, will definitely re-check in daylight.

I should also add the knocking sounds like it’s coming from fairly high up above the wheel (so around top mount I guess). Freelander 2 HST

Post #367945 6th Mar 2019 9:58 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

There is a known symptom of a high up clonk , before the shocker finally fails . When the shocker gives up the ghost the car will shimmy every time it hits a bump , and you will feel it from the drivers seat . Good luck , a pair of shocks fitted isn’t cheap . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #367957 6th Mar 2019 11:29 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

A 2008 model with a few miles on its back will benefit from new struts and associated parts but as just said its not a cheap job. Every chance the knuckle joint bolt is going to break if not eased out with heat so not that simple to attack at home even if you have the spring clamps etc. I did mine a 5.5 years and the bolts only just moved without snapping using liberal amounts of easing spray. If you do one side strut you really should do both. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #367961 7th Mar 2019 9:20 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Just to expand on Bob’s post , if the worst case scenario is that all the mounting hardwear is seized ( it was on our 2009) , all the associated bracketry and the top mount rubbers come to around £85 a side on top of the strut price . . . When I phoned around I got the same story again and again , “ can’t quote a fixed price as they can be a bit of a sod to get off “

Having had the chance to compare the “ good “ old strut against a new strut , it does bring home why you need to replace in pairs .

Having said that our 10 year old motor fair glides along now . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #367965 7th Mar 2019 10:12 am
Sawood

Thank you all. A relief to know these symptoms are at least well known. I will get the rear shocks replaced based on this advice and hopefully see this resolved. Fingers crossed. Freelander 2 HST

Post #368079 8th Mar 2019 10:05 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Do let us know if changing the struts solves your problem. Jules

Post #368080 8th Mar 2019 10:33 pm
Sawood

Touch wood, I think this has fixed it!

First drive since picking up.

Had a pair of Bilstein shocks fitted and it glides smoothly like a new car now, and the knocking/shimmying has disappeared.
I will keep an eye on it after a longer drive to ensure this is truly resolved and the wheel movement has gone.

Has also fixed the tracking issue where the wheel was dragging the car leftward, it seems. Freelander 2 HST

Post #368660 19th Mar 2019 10:33 am
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

Thanks for mentioning the brand of damper fitted, that's helpful.Wouldn't have the Bilstein part number handy would you?
Cheers MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #368663 19th Mar 2019 1:36 pm
Sawood

I will ask the garage when I pop back in. Seems they forgot to plug the boot light back in when they re-fitted the interior trim.
My invoice has a number but it doesn’t look like a Bilstein one. Freelander 2 HST

Post #368697 20th Mar 2019 6:45 am
markyzs180

Sawood wrote:
Touch wood, I think this has fixed it!

First drive since picking up.

Had a pair of Bilstein shocks fitted and it glides smoothly like a new car now, and the knocking/shimmying has disappeared.
I will keep an eye on it after a longer drive to ensure this is truly resolved and the wheel movement has gone.

Has also fixed the tracking issue where the wheel was dragging the car leftward, it seems.

Glad it's sorted Sawood... need mine doing asap, can I ask who you used and how much? I'm not too far from you Thumbs Up

Post #368732 20th Mar 2019 11:51 pm
Sawood

Popped back to the garage; turns out the boot light wasn't working because it was still on their workshop shelf!

The only part number they have given me is from their supplier, which is 635750625. Not sure if that is much help, as I don't think it's a Bilstein part code.

My Tyre in Gulson Road, Coventry fitted a pair of rear Bilstein shocks for me for £357. This is a steal as far as I'm concerned, everywhere else I went to was quoting at least double that. Matt and the boys there have always been helpful.

I didn't replace my springs, as I am on a tight budget and they were in serviceable condition. That would add £200 to the quote. Freelander 2 HST

Post #368828 22nd Mar 2019 4:57 pm
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

Many thanks for asking. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #368906 24th Mar 2019 1:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1