« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Condensation in rear lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
FiL

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
Condensation in rear lights

Only got my FL in August- had a bit of to-ing and fro-ing about scratches so hadn't bothered washing it for a bit. Washed it with the power washer and noticed condensation inside the rear lights! I have had it checked out by LR - they say it's fine as long as it clears up after 20 mins of the car turning on! Confused As long as there's no droplets of water??
But even now it's cold out side there's still some condensation in them.
Has anyone else had this prob? Is it ok to leave it?
Cheers FiL

Post #209554 2nd Dec 2013 3:05 pm
gilfishman

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Had a rear light cluster changed on warranty,on my last one,but it was excessive ,,I occasionally get it in my brand new one,now,when washed but clears in a few hours. Current: Freelander 2 GS, Orkney Grey, Factory fit privacy glass, design pack and Clearview pack. Almond Leather ,rear spoiler,rear mudflaps.my13.

Gone:Freelander 2, GS, "61"

Gone: Freelander 2, GS.e, "59"

Gone: Freelander 2, S, "08"

Post #209555 2nd Dec 2013 3:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Had this in mine,it was the black plastic next to the red plastic that had parted,some black silicone sorted it.

Post #209571 2nd Dec 2013 8:28 pm
FiL

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Thanks I'll have look at it next time I get a bit of spare time in the daylight!! Did you have to reseal both sides?

Post #209656 3rd Dec 2013 9:23 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Was going to post about this! Condensation in headlights is normal, but hadn't seen it in rear lights (and my car is only 6 months old). It was a cold day but the O/S rear corner was in the sun. Came back a bit later and the sun had gone in and the condensation had cleared, so I think it's probably OK. Will keep an eye on it though.

Post #209742 5th Dec 2013 12:22 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

FiL wrote:
Thanks I'll have look at it next time I get a bit of spare time in the daylight!! Did you have to reseal both sides?
no it was about 2inches from the top of the light unit that faces into boot of car,it must have been unsealed a while because although i don't get condensation in there anymore there is a little pyramid of dust that i just cant get to.

Post #209760 5th Dec 2013 12:07 pm
shinymotor

United Kingdom 

My Freelander 2 2013 rear light clusters also have condensation in them on cold days. Dealer is going to look at it next week whilst in for something else. Will update with result. It disappears on warmer days but comes back on the next cold day.

Post #219323 12th Mar 2014 4:29 pm
Deano64

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Hello
Happens on mine a lot. Dealer says LR won't fix unless its running down the lights ! It takes ages to clear on mine I will probably complain about it again

Post #219325 12th Mar 2014 4:55 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

My MY10 shows the same problem. I took the lights off yesterday and the bulbs had a sort if white haze on the glass which easily rubbed off. I note that technically the lights are 'outside' of the bodyshell whereas most cars have the rear lights 'in the loadspace', I also note that they are directly behind the cars ventilation outlet duct. Also the lights have a top level vent tube.
At the moment I'm theorising that they get all warmed up by the cars hot air and as they cool they can suck back in outside ambient damp air thus dragging water inside themselves.
I'm now thinking about how to get around the problem; could it be adding a vent tube to the cars interior? Could it be insulating the back of the lamp.
The jury is out at the moment.....
Kind regards from Fred

Post #219335 12th Mar 2014 7:56 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Let us know when the twelve men good and true have come to a verdict........ Wink 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #219350 12th Mar 2014 11:47 pm
fredastaire

Misting rear lights

So the Jury is back and here is the verdict and sentence........
The Freelander rear lights positioning has a design flaw in that they are mounted ‘outside the car’. Most cars have the rear lights fastened into the rear wings and sealed with a rubber gasket, the inside of the rear light is only ever exposed to clean dry air in the boot / loadspace.
Now take the Freelander rear light and unscrew the two screws and pull the lamp backward, as if you were going to replace a bulb.
Look inside the hole and you are looking into a big void behind the rear bumper, now look at the black plastic back of the light, it is filthy with road dirt kicked up there by the rear wheels.
So its clear that rain mist and muck is all thrown at the back of the light. And how wonderful, the designers have put a vent at the top f the light back shell with a nice white rubber hockey stick ready to take in the mucky mist of a rainy day.
The evidence of the problem is seen as the clear light bulb glasses having a dry white powder coating, (which I take to be road salt dried on) and the misting that occurs to the inside of the outer glass. My Orange indicator bulbs were a Pearl colour.
I have the rear lights from my car and have fitted 2011 facelift rears, all four show the same problem so I don't thinks it a cracked weld joint in the plastics.
So down to sorting the problems.
1/.The top vent with the lamp detached take a look at where the Harness comes out of the bodyshell, there’s a nice big rubber grommet. By pulling it out first to see where to go, I have poked a hole through with a spike, (on an ex navy big ‘penknife’), and then forced through a short length of clear plastic pipe. Ive thrown the white hockey stick vent away and just as you get close to refitting the lamp, push it on to the original vent spigot of the lamp. The lamp now vents to clean dry air of the cars interior. The pipe source was a Wilkinsons Hardware wine siphon.
2/. The rear generally – I havnt quite decided on the approach, really there needs to be a ‘floor’ inside the lamp housing to deflect the mist but this might be a bit time consuming. My current thought is to give each bayonet plastic bulb holder a really good blast of Waxoyl aerosol so help seal the bulbholder to the black plastic light backshell.
With these two items quickly and cheaply sorted I hope to have done away with the lights misting up.
I would be pleased if other Forum members would have a go and add their comments.
Kind regards from Fred

Post #219681 16th Mar 2014 8:34 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

looks to be a good theory Fred! Well done! Thumbs Up 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #219745 17th Mar 2014 4:52 pm
shinymotor

United Kingdom 

shinymotor wrote:
My Freelander 2 2013 rear light clusters also have condensation in them on cold days. Dealer is going to look at it next week whilst in for something else. Will update with result. It disappears on warmer days but comes back on the next cold day.

Dealer response: No action. Only if the condensation in inline with the lights will it be considered an issue. I've been asked to take photos if that does happen. (Currently, I've only had condensation on the outward facing sides of the light clusters - for which I had taken photos).

Lady on front desk overheard the conversation and said hers also does it! Freelander 2 2013 TD4 HSE

Post #219758 17th Mar 2014 5:55 pm
fredastaire

I consider it to be a manufacturers design fault.
Need I say more.
Rgds Fred

Post #219774 17th Mar 2014 8:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1