United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Izmir Blue
Thinking of p/x'ing

Hi,
Thinking of changing my FL2 HSE/HST for either -

RRS 2.7 TDi
VW Touareg 3.0 TDi
Audi Q7 3.0 Tdi
Merc ML 320CDi

As much as I love my freelander, I'm going to be towing more so I'd prefer an auto (it's manual) and I need more boot space.
Before anyone says, I'm towing my race car not a caravan! Smile
Going to be hard to find something that has all the toys that mine has, but I'm in no rush.

Does anyone have any experience of the above and things to look out for?

Thanks in advance,

Andy BMW 335i Coupe

Post #91420 9th Feb 2011 1:27 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

my vote would be the RRS, (nicest looker and they say with a remap is a nicer drive, TDV8 ones to go for Cool

then,

Audi Q7 3.0 Tdi (huge monster of a car, 7 seats, but eats tyres),
Merc ML 320CDi, (boolia on here swapped it back to a FL2)
VW Touareg 3.0 TDi (I like but think i prefer the looks of the Merc more, but then not really looked at new facelift version)

have a search/ask questions on www.rrsport.co.uk some have had the cars on your list so can also offer direct advice Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #91421 9th Feb 2011 1:42 pm
alex_pescaru

Touareg.
Good car, good engine, good autobox and service/running costs not so big like for the others.
It was my other alternative to FL2 when I've bought the car.
FL2 has won only because of its smaller size.
Otherwise, off-road capabilities, technical details/knowledge, diagnose tools (that I already have because of the SWMBO's car), etc, etc, was leaning towards the Touareg.

Post #91423 9th Feb 2011 1:59 pm
Sam

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Had RRS 2.7 before current FL2:

1. Towed 24' 'van with RSS and self-levelling well worthwhile
2. Suspension slightly softer than FL2
3. FL2 and RRS both auto but RRS 7 mpg worse than FL2
4. RRS goes very well for a barge with such a 'small' engine.
5. RRS HSE has more goodies than FL2 HSE but rare to find with sunroof

Would have another tomorrow

Post #91424 9th Feb 2011 2:21 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sorry Alex, I have to disagree with the Touareg, it drive me crazy whilst test driving one never mind doing long trips with it...in my opinion the quality wasn't good enough, it felt coarse, visibility was poor and the seat's gave me crippling back ache after about 20 mins. And the interior in my opinion was a bit uninspiring.

A Merc ML, I'm assuming it's the pre fl one? If so I thought that I'd gone from a Merc dealership to Homebase by walking getting into the car with the quality and feel.

Audi, I'm sure it's a good car just not my cup of tea. Although I won't thank you for adding another one onto our roads that I have to look at!

So that leaves the RRS Very Happy IMO anyway!

Thought about a D3...I'm sure you could pick up a fully loaded late one for the same price as an older, not as well equipped RRS with the same engine? Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #91425 9th Feb 2011 3:22 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

I would recommend, if your finances can stretch to it< a Tdv8 RRS - unless you drive like a very silly boy it will give you as good as or better fuel economy than the 2.7. It won't fall over in spirited driving like the 2.7 does (it has the same standard trick suspension system as the Supercharged) and the brick wall of torque from about 1700rpm is highly addictive........ and you won't know you are towing a race car on a trailer behind you, unlike in the 2.7. Believe me, I have owned both the 2.7 and 3.6 V8 RRS and now have the TDV8 FFRR. The TDV8 is the diesel engine the RRS should have had from day one. Oh and you will be amazed at how well such a big heavy car rides on it's standard 20" wheels, you here potholes, you rarely feel them! How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #91434 9th Feb 2011 6:24 pm
andyr

Many thanks for the replies guy's.

I test drove the Touareg this afternoon and it's 'ok'.
I'm off to have a look at a Q7 this weekend, then will try and get to look at a RRS sport on the sunday.

Budget can't stretch to a TDV8 at the mo (£25k), but I change every 12 months, so it's something I can aim for next time. there's a couple of high milers out there, but I want something quite fresh and 'not been round the block' if you know what I mean.

Not really considered the Disco 3, until I saw teh dimensions of the Q7 and there's nowt in it!

Cheers,

Andy BMW 335i Coupe

Post #91436 9th Feb 2011 6:57 pm
alex_pescaru

Big Dave wrote:
Sorry Alex, I have to disagree with the Touareg

It's down to the taste, but in my oppinion, the Touareg is the "working horse" in this case.
RRS, Q7 and ML are classy cars not designed for hard work like andyr wants to do.
And in the long run, again, for hard work, the Touareg will be cheaper to run.
And also when you don't tow something, it isn't so bad for looks.
Just my 2 cents, but in the end, like I've said, it's down to personal preference.

Post #91440 9th Feb 2011 8:10 pm
andyr

The touareg (facelift) is not too bad on the eye, the Audi and the RRs sport are lovely looking, but the designers forgot about the rear in both cases Surprised

Bloomin typical British attitude before at the VW dealers though, I spotted there's fogging in the headlight and scuffs on rear bumper aswell as low tread on all tyres.
Response was -

Headlight can be covered under warranty after I purchase it (yeah right!), - why not sort it out before?
Bodywork - 'Is taken into account on the screen price'
Tyres - 'Oh, we'd not be replacing those!'

Drives me up the wall the quality of service from main dealers nowadays.
Certain people act like the customer is more a pain than the funding of their wages!

Rant over!

Andy BMW 335i Coupe

Post #91455 9th Feb 2011 10:53 pm
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Why change? If it is only for the auto box, then a change to FL2 + Auto and it makes a great tow car. We pulled a trailer with `30s Aston down to Le Mans for the Classic and it performed faultlessly. Any race car and decent trailer should come in well below the FL2 towing limit. Either a roof box when you need it or a secure storage box, for kit, on the trailer solves the boot space problem
And for all the time that you aren`t towing you have the benefits of a Freelander and don`t have the fuel bills of any of the others you mention.
Just a thought Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #91602 11th Feb 2011 10:39 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

A good reason in this post against the Q7, from RRSport were they are debating which is better the RRS or FFRR Laughing

david.seaton wrote:
They are both good in their own ways, and both have failings.
We have one of each.
I prefer the FFRR, but have ended up with the Sport as my wife needs the space of the FFRR.
The FFRR is slower, rolls more, but is a nicer place to be.
The RRS needs to be made to handle as well as the FFRR to justify its' name - it rolls less but is a very nervous edgy thing if you push it. The TDV8S is too quick for something with flawed handling. Also the seat does not quite go back far enough for me at 6' 2".
There is a lot more road and wind noise at speed in the RRS.
However it is still a very pleasant car.
Is the comparison not akin to trying to compare a Freelander to a Discovery ? - really quite different.
However, these are all just an opinion, based on our particular cars, and may well all be aspects that others may neither notice nor would care about.
If you want a REALLY HORRID car - the Audi Q7 must take that award.
A couple of years ago I sold my Audi RS6 as I needed something to tow a racing car with. It was a brilliant car, so I made the mistake of thinking the Q7 would also be good.
Aside of being most uncomfortable and looking like a wheeled hippopotamus, it is normal to get 5000 miles out of a set of tyres (I discovered a few weeks later). Shocked
A quick calculation revealed a potential £3k + per annum on tyres.
I accept that heavy fast things do use tyres - but £3k every year - that is just nuts.
It certainly did chew up tyres - they all do - Audi say it is perfectly acceptable for a vehicle of this weight that drives like a car. I seem to think our RRS and previous X5's are the same, but they don't munch through tyres.
The only place it goes in snow is downhill like a sledge - everywhere else it spins all four wheels and sits still.
Hello Pistonheads classifieds - get this thing out of my life.
Luckily a naive masochist who was probably unaware of the oncoming costs had to have it - he had saved hard and always wanted one. He had convinced his wife that this was the ideal family status symbol, and they needed the space etc etc. It was going to immeasurably improve their lives. He was excited (think damp trousers).
The whole family (wife and three kids) took a 300 mile train journey to collect it. The wife complained about the cost of the train tickets. She was concerned about the fuel consumption for the return journey. She had meticulously planned a route to avoid Motorway Services at meal times as they are very expensive. She did like the Panoramic Sunroof. I calculated that this 300 mile trip home was going to cost them £70 in fuel and £54 in tyre wear. I kept off the subject of tyres.
You know the saying "the light at the end of the tunnel is that of an oncoming train"
I strongly suspect he will be divorced by now.
I still come out in a nasty red rash if a Q7 goes past.
 Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #91654 11th Feb 2011 10:22 pm
andyr

Very insightful, looks like I'll be sticking to the LR brand.

Many thanks,

Andy BMW 335i Coupe

Post #91677 12th Feb 2011 1:46 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1