« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Tyre wear question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand
Tyre wear question

My FL is groaning again from the rear, obviously tyre wear so i've a pair of wranglers on order. The passenger side rear always seems to be the culprit Question , the General UHP's were noisy on that side too so I put them on the front a long while back, since the change the car has been quiet as a mouse until this last week or so. The Wranglers are just legal but the tyre on that side is worn more on the outer 40% or so of the tread? The tyres on the front always wear very evenly, as does 'tother rear....is there such a facility to get only that particular rear wheel checked for whatever without mucking about with the fronts, ie: not having to have four wheel alignment done?

Any help/info' appreciated Thumbs Up

Post #81521 22nd Nov 2010 5:00 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

I thought that as the FL2 is fully independent suspension, then 4 wheel alignment was the only option? Don't know how they would only do 1 without also doing the other 3. Someone correct me if I am talking cobblers!

Post #81545 22nd Nov 2010 10:13 pm
lmorris4975

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

mojo wrote:
I thought that as the FL2 is fully independent suspension, then 4 wheel alignment was the only option? Don't know how they would only do 1 without also doing the other 3. Someone correct me if I am talking cobblers!

No you are correct, get it checked be cheaper in the long run than replacing tyres.

Post #81551 22nd Nov 2010 11:30 pm
Dunk

Thank you gents, does seem strange that only this one wheel, or any wheel that is put on that rear side is causing any noise or slight uneven wear out of all four. I was enquiring as the car steers and brakes absolutely spot on and have heard plenty of horror stories of 4 wheel alignment making a car worse than it may of been pre alignment. The number of times i've had tracking or front end work done on cars over the years only for it to feel 'off' or the steering wheel is canted to one side doesn't fill me with confidence....guess i'll have to bite the bullet and take it in.

Post #81578 23rd Nov 2010 5:16 pm
Dunk

mojo wrote:

Me too hence my thinking it may of been adjustable/checkable independantly from the other wheels........who's talking cobblers now? Laughing

Post #81579 23rd Nov 2010 5:19 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Now this really might be cobblers, but it couldn't be dodgy wheel bearing could it?

Post #81606 23rd Nov 2010 10:47 pm
Dunk

mojo wrote:
Now this really might be cobblers, but it couldn't be dodgy wheel bearing could it?

It could be mojo but I doubt it, all is very quiet and refined until whatever tyre is on that corner wears down, i'll swap them as I do to keep wear even on front/back then the noise ceases again......and so it goes. I am certain when I have the new Wranglers fitted tomorrow it will all be normal for, say, 15,000 miles then it'll slowly become apparent once more, i'll swap front to back, noise will go!

When I bought the car there was a small dent on the upper middle wheel arch on that side, maybe the owner before me clouted that side/wheel and put something slightly out?

Post #81608 23rd Nov 2010 11:06 pm
heliosuk

You do need a full 4 wheel alignment to get to the cause of this. Should be adjusted rear first and then the front. The rear determines the thrust angle of the car. If slipper plates not used on rear then car should be removed after setting rear and moved back and forth and then re-checked, then do the front if rear still in spec. Obviously the garage needs to adjust equally on front to centre wheel but it's not unknown for the steering wheel to be fitted a spline out. There is also a ration where it's possible to calculate easily the steering wheel angle but then that's another thing and depends on the rack being locked centrally.

Post #81619 24th Nov 2010 12:09 am
Dunk

Well, I had the tyres done today and while there had all the wheels checked for alignment, they were within spec' so I drove off with a contented smile only to find the noise is still there. Although the noise is very similar to what i've been experiencing this/last time I hate to admit this time around it may be something more sinister. I made a mental note to post up what happens..........no noise until 30mph then a 'urrrrrrr' sort of noise starts, it tends to die down at 40mph and return nearer 50mph, the noise is still evident when not under power, ie: if I coast it comes in/out at approx the same speeds but definately more pronounced when under load. I haven't experienced any juddering or noises when turning so am hoping and praying it isn't the haldex unit or anything similarly expensive as it's out of warranty now.

Any ideas? I was convinced it was the same problem as before, now a little worried as it'll have been going wrong for the last few weeks/approx 1500 miles and I need it for work = 150 miles daily!? What sort of noise would the prop shaft/bearing make? as with a wheel bearing i'd of thought the noise would be constant rather than at certain speeds.

Appreciate any advice Thumbs Up

Post #81677 24th Nov 2010 5:00 pm
lmorris4975

Might be a wheel bearing. A bearing would should like a rumble type noise.

Post #81683 24th Nov 2010 6:21 pm
Dunk

lmorris4975 wrote:
Might be a wheel bearing. A bearing would should like a rumble type noise.

It's quite feasable I guess but would it not make a noise at all times?

Post #81686 24th Nov 2010 7:01 pm
lmorris4975

You would think that it would make a noise all the time, but it can be intermittent. If it is a wheel bearing it will continue to get worse ( make more noise for longer) before it fails. Thumbs Up

Post #81738 24th Nov 2010 11:10 pm
Dunk

lmorris4975 wrote:
You would think that it would make a noise all the time, but it can be intermittent. If it is a wheel bearing it will continue to get worse ( make more noise for longer) before it fails. Thumbs Up

Really hoping it is something as simple as this, will be having a good look Sunday with fingers and all else crossed...it has to be coincidence that this noise is very similar to the one I experienced with the tyre wear issues, if anything i've learned not to ignore a noise that I think I recognise. I could of fell out of my seat when I drove away from the tyre fitters yesterday, I was absolutely convinced that was going to be the end of the problem....I wasn't a happy camper Censored

Post #81798 25th Nov 2010 6:45 pm
lmorris4975

Let use know if you get it sorted and what it was, i hope its something simple Thumbs Up

Post #81803 25th Nov 2010 7:27 pm
heliosuk

What tyres are you currently running on as a matter of interest?

Post #81828 25th Nov 2010 10:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>