« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Front Protection System
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
snowy22255

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Front Protection System

I am thinking about fitting an 'A' frame to the front of my 2010 Freelander, has anyone any experience of either the bar or the supplier.
Select 4x4 accessories / Land Rover / Freelander to find the bar.

https://www.vangadgets.co.uk/UK/land-rover...html[/url]

Post #90674 3rd Feb 2011 7:12 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Although dealers still sell them I thought that these steel bars were illegal on modern cars due to the injuries that they cause to pedestrians. Car designers have had to jump through all kinds of hoops to make our vehicles softer, that's why so much of the front of them is made of plastic.

Post #90678 3rd Feb 2011 7:31 pm
snowy22255

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi BB

I thought the same myself, but having done some research on the internet it appears that as long as the item has obtained EU Type Approval for the vehicle to which it is being fitted then it is still legal. The web site does say they are legal and are type approved.

They are also very similar to the type of bar I have often seen on brand new Nissan and Mitsubishi type picj up vehicles.

Apparently the criteria is along the lines that the bar must actually be fitted for the purpose of improving vehicle protection. I think what differentiates this type of bar from the old bull bars is that it covers a smaller frontal area of the car and stops at a fairly low height unlike the old style full height full width wrap around Bull Bars. I did look at the rubber type FPS which do go higher but don't include any provision to add front spotlights which I also want to do.

Post #90687 3rd Feb 2011 8:05 pm
BossBob

I also had a look around and found that to offer protection to pedestrians the bars have to be very close to the bodywork and the mounts have to allow movement. To me this means that you could end up having the bars pushed in to the bodywork maybe causing damage away from the original point of impact. See http://www.frontalprotectionsystems.eu/

Post #90715 3rd Feb 2011 10:10 pm
dunroof

I'd check with your insurance. Anything that might cause more damage or injury has got to be a liability issue.

Post #90719 3rd Feb 2011 10:28 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black
Re: Front Protection System

snowy22255 wrote:
I am thinking about fitting an 'A' frame to the front of my 2010 Freelander, has anyone any experience of either the bar or the supplier.
Select 4x4 accessories / Land Rover / Freelander to find the bar.

https://www.vangadgets.co.uk/UK/land-rover...html[/url]

See my Freelander on the home page of my website, it has the front protection fitted. There are further photo's in the gallery section.

In my oppinion if you have this fitted it really needs to be complemented bu either the front light gaurds or the Driving light pods (in my case I fitted both). I was lucky I got mine brand new in box off ebay for £50, guy bought it then decided to byuy a Range Rover Sport lol.

http://www.exv-mobile.co.uk/ (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Last edited by The Valeter on 3rd Feb 2011 10:35 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #90721 3rd Feb 2011 10:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

BossBob wrote:
Although dealers still sell them I thought that these steel bars were illegal on modern cars due to the injuries that they cause to pedestrians. Car designers have had to jump through all kinds of hoops to make our vehicles softer, that's why so much of the front of them is made of plastic.

The Landrover item is a rubber type. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #90722 3rd Feb 2011 10:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BossBob

Agreed, but the OP is talking about the steel version from Cobra.

Post #90729 3rd Feb 2011 11:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1