Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Has anyone had the Garmin 1490T installed by the dealers?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
blacklr

Here is some pictures to share for reference. Pardon for the poor quality picture. I got my workshop guy to install for me.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #95787 20th Mar 2011 2:53 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Crikey! I have been hoping that the reliability of the Freelander 2 would be so good that it would start to counter-balance the overwhelmingly negative public peception that permeates about the Freelander 1. If it's made out of leggo blocks, I'm a bit worried! Meccano is better, but I'd much prefer bolts and nuts, the odd bit off spot welding and stuff like that to hold the FL2 together.
Seriously, it's comforting to know somebody else had had the intenstinal fortitude to 'stretch" the plastic bits to get a result without the scary "snap" of trying something that didn't work out!

Post #95788 20th Mar 2011 2:59 pm
Piggus

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Hi Blacklr,
How did you achieve such a good fit? It looks perfect!
Tony

Post #95933 21st Mar 2011 6:19 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Perhaps the Blue Peter method Rolling with laughter 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #95949 21st Mar 2011 7:16 pm
blacklr

Piggus wrote:
Hi Blacklr,
How did you achieve such a good fit? It looks perfect!
Tony

Thanks, manage to get a gd fitter.

Post #96566 26th Mar 2011 3:52 pm
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

Finally got round to finishing the 1490 installation. I had the mask cut from 1mm plastic by a plastics shop locally -$30 for two - with the window a precise size to fit the 'inner' frame of the Garmin. The shop was very good and did an excellent job. I then sprayed it matt black and fitted it so that the mask is clamped between the 'cubby hole' box and the facia surround. The results are in my gallery. The unit works very well, and although it is contained within the dashboard, sound volume and clarity is not a problem.

Post #97763 5th Apr 2011 12:53 am
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Looks great! How are you holding the unit to the mask? What you doing with your spare mask Wink 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #97764 5th Apr 2011 4:25 am
egipp

Thanks for that djwhyte; the unit is not held to the mask - I put a 'back stop' in the cubby hole box and the 1490 is sandwiched between that and the mask. This eliminates any potential problem of the 1490 moving when being used and ensures a very snug fit for the components. The one drawback with this method is that I will have to remove the console surround to get to the 1490 for updating the maps, something that will only need doing twice a year so not a huge problem. This leads onto the second mask! To try and cover all eventualities, I had this cut to exactly fit the unit again, but with overall dimensions to fit inside the cubby box and fixed to the 1490 with double sided tape. This will allow easy removal for map updating if I find the other method too time consuming, but it does not have the completely fitted look of the current mode. The short answer is that I'm hanging on to it just in case! However, the plastics firm I used have now got the dimensions in their computerised cutting set up and would be happy to provide more masks if you wanted. They have a minimum cutting charge of $25 plus materials. As I said, the two cost me $30 and I then sprayed them with matt black plastic paint. I'd be happy to help if you wanted to take it any further.
Cheers.

Post #97918 6th Apr 2011 1:29 am
djwhyte

Certainly looks very *very* nice. I have mine sitting in the hole as you previously did and I don't even notice that it doesn't quite look fitted. People even assume it is factory fit.

Let me talk to SWMBO and maybe get in touch for the firms details.

Ta Thumbs Up 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #97921 6th Apr 2011 5:00 am
simont

Hi egipp

Can you post a drawing with dimensions of the plastic facing?

Thanks in advance 2002 Honda VFR800

Post #97939 6th Apr 2011 8:55 am
egipp

G'Day Simont, I've posted a drawing - of sorts! - in my gallery, and hope it helps. It shows two versions, the smaller, top one, fits over the Garmin and sits inside the box in the dash. The second , larger one, again fits over the Garmin but is sandwiched between the box and the dashboard facia, as in my gallery pictures. The dimensions are in millimetres and the material is 1mm plastic sheet, sprayed matt black to match the dashboard. You need to remove the outer 'screen frame' from the Garmin to get a flush mounting of the mask(s). This frame is clipped in place and is a finisher to hide the frame proper and it's fixing screws. You need either a very thin trim removing tool or a very thin knife blade to carefully prise it away from it's clips. It is quite fragile, so take care, although if the worst happens and you do break it, it is only cosmetic and in no way affects the performance of the unit; in any event, where it was will be covered by whichever mask you choose. I put a 'stop' in the OE box for the Garmin to rest against and this will prevent the Garmin being accidentally pushed into the box when being used. If you opt for the smaller mask you can fit it to the Garmin with double sided tape - the larger version will be clamped in place by the dashboard facia. One thing I would recommend is that you have the 'inner' hole cut by a plastics fabricator using your Garmin, with the outer frame removed as a precise template, since that is what is going to make or mar the final fitting. I certainly wouldn't want to guarantee my dimensions to that level of precision, particularly the corner radii, let alone my ability to cut it!
Cheers, Graham.

Post #98039 7th Apr 2011 12:55 am
djwhyte

Hey egipp, what was the 'stop' you used in the OE box? Currently, my unit is just friction fitted, if I were to push it back too far, I would probably press the power button? I thought of just using some polystyrene or something to push against??? 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #98041 7th Apr 2011 5:44 am
simont

egipp

Drawings are great thanks Thumbs Up

Was there a specific curve radius used or just whatever! 2002 Honda VFR800

Post #98045 7th Apr 2011 8:06 am
egipp

I used a piece of aluminium angle of a height that didn't mask the speaker and a length that didn't foul on the power lead as a stop. I used the existing holes that the rubber mat engages with to screw through to the bracket, but you could use double sided tape as I did for the top stop. You could also use polystyrene or wood, whatever is easiest for you. I also used thin adhesive foam tape on the faces of the stops, not to stick to the Garmin, but to do the final precise depth location to meet up with the mask. Also, a strip of self adhesive felt along the top surface of the Garmin, but stopping short of the power button, will give a snug fit and prevent the button being pressed accidentally. As for the radius simont, that was precisely cut by the plastics people. It does sound rather fiddly, but is quite straightforward - it almost takes longer to write about it than to do it!

Post #98058 7th Apr 2011 9:28 am
simont

eqipp

As the garmin is mounted within the cubby box and I believe the speaker on the garmin is on the back. what is the sound quality like?

Did you need a hole for the microphone input for the bluetooth function - or was that not used?

Thanks 2002 Honda VFR800

Post #98063 7th Apr 2011 10:13 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>