Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > To Service or not to service?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Lau

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey
To Service or not to service?

I have been browsing the forum since I picked up my Freelander last January, but have only now joined, so Hi!
I also have a question if someone would be so kind as to help me.
My car is now due it's 4 year service, but it has done so few miles since the last service, I am not sure whether to pay the many hundreds I have been quoted and get it seviced.
When I bought the car last January, it had just had it's 45k service (at 30k) and Is now due its 60k (car at 35k now). It has a perfect service history, and I idealy would like to keep it that way, but as I have only done 4.5 thousand miles from the last service, I am unsure what to do.
Many Thanks.

Post #87492 11th Jan 2011 12:19 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

if you want to keep a service history you do really need to get it serviced on a time basis rather than mileage.

as warranty is no longer an issue you could use a good independant

Iain

Post #87493 11th Jan 2011 12:24 pm
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Also, just because it's not done many miles, doesn't mean it doesn't need an oil change. I'm guessing the low milage on your part is short journeys as opposed to one long journey every couple of weeks, so the oil is possibly in worse condition than if had done 10k.

As mentioned above, a service history is based on time as well as mileage. I'd find an independant and get it done.

Smile

Post #87499 11th Jan 2011 1:29 pm
Lau

weirdfish wrote:
I'm guessing the low milage on your part is short journeys as opposed to one long journey every couple of weeks, so the oil is possibly in worse condition than if had done 10k.

Smile

Yes short journeys plus the use of another car.

Many thanks for the replies.

Post #87501 11th Jan 2011 1:59 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Definitely get it serviced - just shop around for the absolute cheapest way to get the stamp. You will need someone capable of resetting the interval timers etc. Maybe if you discuss your situation with a good dealer there might be some wiggle room?

Post #87509 11th Jan 2011 2:19 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

as said get it serviced.

End of the day my opinion is you have a £15K+ car on the drive way thats just coming 4 year old, it needs tender loving care and pampering just once a year, I think i recall Mav71 saying there is two 4 year services, the more expensive were they swap filters and things, which maybe the better service to go for, due to your car been stud around Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #87516 11th Jan 2011 2:55 pm
Lau

Ok, definitely seems the consensus is to get it serviced.
One last question though, do I definitely need the full 4 year service, being that is a major one, or could I have another interim service?
Thanks.

Post #87524 11th Jan 2011 3:44 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

full service

I stand to be corrected on this, but if your not doing loads of miles, the diesel will deposit sediment into the tank due to been stood and the longer length of time it takes to use the diesel and this could be sucked in to the filters

its a known fact that lubrications takes time to lube things,(think of those Magnetec adverts) so there might be a bit more of wear and tear, so a bigger service in my view would be better Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #87533 11th Jan 2011 4:08 pm
EYorkshire

I don't own a service schedule so don't know if it's been done on a previous service, but ensure you have /had your brake fluid changed. This over time naturally attracts moisture and loses it's effectiveness.

Also believe anti-freeze loses it's corrosion inhibitor over time as well, but stand to be corrected on this one.

Post #87536 11th Jan 2011 4:20 pm
Oldie

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I'll be due a 60k/4 year service in March (currently on 51k) but can't even find out what that entails. My Service Record book gives no details about what was done at the previous 3 services, so what good is that to a prospective purchaser (not that I'm selling as the car has been fantastic). I'm more than happy to service my 8 yr old Mini Cooper, my Yanmar diesel engine on my boat, my motorbikes etc and I don't know if it's worth paying for the TopiX stuff just to do the Land Rover. Surely it's just a case of oil, filters, pads etc. Can't see the injectors needing done. I have looked through the site and there's very little on the diy front.

Post #87589 11th Jan 2011 8:31 pm
EYorkshire

This was pointed out to me when I asked the same question
https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...0Miles.pdf

Post #87590 11th Jan 2011 8:38 pm
Oldie

Thumbs Up

Post #87593 11th Jan 2011 8:51 pm
Oldie

Just checked back to last year when I emailed my dealer to check if the brake fluid was changed at my third (45k) service, and here was the reply

"Just the 45k service carried out,no brake fluid change done.This would be extra cost."

Having a problem trying to reconcile this one, having just run through the service checklist??? Weird

Post #87596 11th Jan 2011 8:56 pm
Firestar

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Oldie wrote:
Just checked back to last year when I emailed my dealer to check if the brake fluid was changed at my third (45k) service, and here was the reply

"Just the 45k service carried out,no brake fluid change done.This would be extra cost."

Having a problem trying to reconcile this one, having just run through the service checklist??? Weird

From the pdf checklist:
"10. Replace Brake Fluid (Every 3 years)*"
"Adjust/Lubricate/Replace - Labour cost included in scheduled time except items marked *"

Thus the brake fluid change is chargeable and the dealers ought to have offered it to you as such on that last service? As it's a safety-related issue I'd not be happy with their service department.

The frequency of brake fluid changes does vary from one maker to another.... Ford specify every 2 years, so 3 is quite a long time (assuming it's glycol based brake fluid).

Post #87706 12th Jan 2011 2:06 pm
ad210358

England 

On my three year service the Dealer said that the brake fluid need not be changed, they check the fluid (Moisture content) I think and if it is within certain parameters it is not changed.

Post #87715 12th Jan 2011 4:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>