Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Transfer box problem?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nland

Cyprus 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
Transfer box problem?

Hello,
I own a freelander 2, 2.2 diesel of 2008 with 220.000 kilometers and I this is the first problem I have with the car so far.
I drove my car to the local dealer because I had some banging noise from the front bottom of the car (mainly when I was off-road). They replaced a spacer (part no. LR002-746) and returned the car to me. I noticed that the problem was eliminated but not solved completely and at the same time I noticed a very low-sound grinding noise. I drove back at the dealers again to mention and when lifted up noticed some oil leak from a (transfer box) seal. They told me that there is a wear problem inside the transfer box and that there are turnings inside the transfer box that occurred the damage on the seal so their diagnosis is to replace the transfer box.

I drove away again to get ready for vacation and parked the car for a week at the airport. When I returned I noticed a large oil leak underneath my car – basically all the oil from the transfer box was emptied.
Any ideas? Crying or Very sad Do you find this oil leakage normal if there is a problem with the transfer box?

Thanks
Nick

Post #273694 25th Aug 2015 5:54 pm
Jim NI

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Loire Blue

My guess would be that your dealer is responsible for the leak as a result of their investigation. However the leak is irrelevant if you need a new trans box. 2014 SE Loire Blue SD4 Auto (MY15)
Gone - 2011 GS Baltic Blue, Retrofit Electric Leather, Side Steps, 19"SC's, Roof Rails, TT Sat Nav Mod, Retrofit Premium Audio, Retro fit 2013 Xenons with DRL & Sig Strip (Clutch at 47k)
Gone - 2007 GS Narvik Black, Privacy Glass, 19" SC's, Side Steps,Roof Rails, Roof Spoiler, Lamp Guards, Retrofit Electric Leather (Clutch at 115k)
Gone - 2007 SE Santorini Black (Clutch at 120k)
BT IID (best money ever spent on a car)

Post #273700 25th Aug 2015 6:37 pm
nland

Cyprus 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

This is what I suspect too..
Thank you

Post #273701 25th Aug 2015 6:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1