Home > Technical > Reduced braking efficiency
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 
Reduced braking efficiency

Hi,
New to this forum... so er... hello from me and my FR2 who is called Mildred.
Just before Christmas, Mildred did something a bit strange, I went to brake and she wouldn't stop. Gave me quite a scare- brake pedal travelled further with the same amount of resistance but she just wouldn't stop. She did eventually (only overran by about 2ft but that's a very long way over a junction!). Called LR assist, who (are fantastic) couldn't replicate the fault and gave her a good once over- no problems. After 10 days I'd almost forgotten that the incident had happened...until she did it again- just didn't want to stop. The next time I braked, it was a bit better, then the third time was completely normal. At this point I should say Mildred is 2.5yrs old, done 34K and is in showroom condition. At no point was it icy (no ice on discs), wet road conditions, the ABS didn't kick in, the brake pedal was not hard nor very soft...she just didn't want to stop! Of course this would be the day after boxing day, so the lovely Nick from LR assist came out to see her. Thank goodness she replicated the fault. However, the cause of the fault was difficult to discern- wheel bearings fine, life left on pads and discs. So she was taken away on the Wednesday between Christmas and New Year and in her place arrived a 3.0 TDV6 HSE Discovery 4 in marma teal... OMG I love that car. Don't love the fuel consumption on it though-24.8mpg driving like mother Teresa! Anyway enough drooling over the Disco4... back to my tale. TVLR fiddled about with her for 2 weeks, replaced the brake servo, pipes and brake callipers and now she is fine... I was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced something similar?
Its the first and last major problem she'll have with me as I've just PX'd her for a new FR2 11 MY HSE in Santorini Black... So if anyone is looking for a much loved FR2 (who even did a wedding, gets me to work everyday in the most atrocious conditions) then check out Lloyd at Carslile and ask for Mildred.
I'll be really sad to see her go. My work involves a certain amount of time being oncall and when I'm dragged outta my bed in the middle of the night to drive half way across the county... in a blizzard... Mildred is my only companion! Ok.... I'd better sign off before someone recognises me and gets me sectioned!

Post #88253 16th Jan 2011 1:43 pm
alex_pescaru

Search.....

Here is a discussion about something similar:
http://www.freel2.com/forum/post85696.html

Post #88268 16th Jan 2011 3:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1