Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > 12V power in dash area?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
bcdaus

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Baltic Blue

egipp wrote:
Morning bcdaus, As bjb134 says, the 1490 is a good fit into the dashboard aperture and no spacers are needed. I fitted a strip of self adhesive black felt - available from craft shops- along part of the top edge, but not covering the power button. This gives a very snug fit but its' main purpose is to stop the power button being pressed down when fitted.

One thing I was a bit concerned about was whether reception would be effected by being 'in' the dash rather than being on the wind screen, but no problems at all; even the traffic system works well.

I have had it jammed in the hole for a few days now and it is great. Over the weekend I need to get the wiring done from the fuse box rather than just the front aux power outlet. Love the idea of the spacer strip, as I have had it turn off a few times while wedging it in - its also fallen into the hole a few times.

bill 2010 Td4e Baltic Blue

Post #89892 27th Jan 2011 5:54 am
sws

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi - been looking at this as a way to put an auxillary 12v socket into the dashboard. Been looking at these 'add a circuit' mini blade fuses with a flylead. Simple question, where does the earth / negative from the auxillary socket attach. One lead of the new socket will attach to the 'flylead', where do I splice the second - is there an obvious place?
Thanks for the help.

Post #92983 22nd Feb 2011 11:58 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

sws,
Ay up!
Finding an earth is easier than you think. Rather than splicing into an exsiting circuit, just find any stud which goes straight to ground and solder an eyelet onto your fly lead.
This way you wont compromise any earthing on the car. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #92985 23rd Feb 2011 12:13 am
bjb134

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

sws wrote:
Hi - been looking at this as a way to put an auxillary 12v socket into the dashboard. Been looking at these 'add a circuit' mini blade fuses with a flylead. Simple question, where does the earth / negative from the auxillary socket attach. One lead of the new socket will attach to the 'flylead', where do I splice the second - is there an obvious place?
Thanks for the help.

Have you found a UK supplier of these fuse holders?

Bryan

Post #93069 23rd Feb 2011 8:23 pm
dunroof

For the switched front Aux Socket, the Yellow is the live, the Blue/Black is the ground.

Post #93070 23rd Feb 2011 8:43 pm
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

bjb134 wrote:
sws wrote:
Thanks for the help.

Bryan

http://www.jaycarelectronics.co.uk/product...rm=KEYWORD Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #93086 23rd Feb 2011 10:09 pm
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Or good old fleabay. Do a search for 'add a circuit'. For a free country, it does seem pretty expensive these days.

Post #93103 23rd Feb 2011 10:57 pm
sws

Thanks all
So see if I've got this right. I can use one of the fuses with a fly lead. I attach the +ve terminal of the 12v socket to the fuse lead and the -ve/earth from the socket to a stud on the bodywork / chassis?
Any suggestions for a good spot in the fuse box for it to go? Any unused ignition switched curcuits in there?

Post #93120 23rd Feb 2011 11:37 pm
sws

dunroof wrote:
For the switched front Aux Socket, the Yellow is the live, the Blue/Black is the ground.

Where can I tap into these? Do I need to get under the centre console or can I get to them elsewhere?

Post #93121 23rd Feb 2011 11:39 pm
dunroof

Yes, you can get to them via the centre console, however the positive yellow lead runs to the Battery Junction Box at FE45, terminating in a 15 amp fuse. The black/blue connects to the chasis earth in a couple of places, then to the accessory centre before terminating in the rear fuse box at FA6, another 15 amp fuse.

Post #93123 24th Feb 2011 1:49 am
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

egipp wrote:
Hello Liberty555, as npinks says, there is a fuse box behind the glove box, the hand book pages 207/8 shows the spare circuits.
I have wired in a Garmin 1490T, which is an almost exact fit in the dashboard OE GPS location. I took the power from F5, an unused circuit which is switched on/off by the ignition. Mine actually had a 10 amp blade fuse in place; I replaced this with a 10 amp blade fuse from Jaycar which has a fly lead from it so you can connect the GPS power supply to it. I connected this to a accessory cigar lighter socket, cable tied to the bulkhead crossmember, so that the Garmin power supply plugged directly in - this is important, since you must not feed 12 volts direct to the Garmin. Other GPS makes may be different. I also put a switch in the circuit so that I don't have to have the GPS on when the ignition is on. There is a very good location inside the glovebox just behind and above the latch for this switch; it appears to be a mounting for an additional light to the glove box which is not used - at least on a 2009 SE here in Australia. Feeding the cable into the OE 'box' in the dashboard involves cutting a small hole in the base; this will be covered by the rubber mat when you remove the GPS. I should add that all the wiring is quite straightforward, there's even an easily accessible earth point on the centre console, and can be removed with no markings on the vehicle apart from the hole in the centre box which can, as I said, be covered by the original rubber mat. I should add that you need to remove the glovebox to do all this, about a 5 minute job. I also removed part of the centre console to gain access to the original GPS box for cutting the hole.
My purpose in all of this was to make it less obvious to a sneak thief that the GPS was an add on, and not to have any visible fitting points or holes when finally removing it from the vehicle. It is, too all intents and purposes, permanently in the car but can be removed for map and software updates.
Sorry about being longwinded, but hope it helps.

Post #93127 24th Feb 2011 2:28 am
sws

Thanks again. So I'll try the flylead fuse in F5 and ground the other socket lead to the chassis. I'll probably put an accessory socket in the glovebox as egipp suggested.
Looking at my handbook, F5 is blank - could I use the F10 (sunroof) fuse also - I don't have a sunroof (2008 XS) - is the circuit likely to be live / switched?

Slightly off topic, If I were going to put an accessory socket in the boot, could I just replace FA6 (rear accessory socket) with flylead fuse - I assume this would give 2 curcuits off that 10A fuse in series. Better still could I use FB3 (drivers seat heater - don't have heated seats) - are the 'unused' circuits still live even if the accessory is not installed?

Thanks for all your help

Post #93146 24th Feb 2011 11:24 am
bjb134

BrianAbbott wrote:
bjb134 wrote:
sws wrote:
Thanks for the help.

Bryan

http://www.jaycarelectronics.co.uk/product...rm=KEYWORD

Thanks

Bryan

Post #93151 24th Feb 2011 12:48 pm
bjb134

weirdfish wrote:
Or good old fleabay. Do a search for 'add a circuit'.

Thank you
Bryan

Post #93152 24th Feb 2011 12:52 pm
Jimmyb79

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

This thread is really useful, I'm planning to do this when I pick up my Freelander 2 next week. One question for a bit of a novice, whereabouts is the earth point used, and what's the best way of securing the cable to it?

Post #104774 9th Jun 2011 1:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>