« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Blue Smoke ...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
frankreid

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black
Blue Smoke ...

Yesterday and today when I first started my 57 GS 2.2 Diesel (47K) after standing overnight. I noticed a light blue tint coming from the exhaust, I also noticed a smell of oil.

It did not show at all when I started it again, during both days (only at the first start of the day).

The car is covered by the 12 month warranty through Lloyds of Carlisle. i got the car on 18th November 2010.
I have it booked in on Sunday the 16th for them to sort out the dropping drivers seat, so they said that they will look into this at the same time.

Your thoughts and advice please.

Thank You

Frank R9 FLR

Post #86919 7th Jan 2011 8:08 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Has your oil level dropped?
It could be something simple like a blocked breather. I hope!! Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #86934 7th Jan 2011 8:40 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Hi, if its only a little puff the first time you stat up for the day then theres not any real issues. Keep an eye on it though.
What your seeing is a very small amount of oil being burnt, it happens because the oil scraper rings have not fully scrapped all of the oil back down into the sump when you you last turned off your engine.
Any remaining oil is left in the combustion chamber were it wil be burnt on restarting your engine.
Inside the combustion chamber there are what you would call a set of compression rings which give the engin the power by forcing the piston down. Below these rings are the oil scrapper rings which scrap the oil back down to the sump after each movement up.
If you were to say that you have lots of blue smoke while driving arround then this may be a result of head gasket failure were oil is seeping from the oil channels of the engine block directly into the combustion chambers.
Other reasons could be the oil seperator/ engine crankcase breather is blocked but this shouldnt happen on such a new car. If this was to become heavly blocked then engine oil pressure would build up forcing iol out of your filler cap and all over the engine.
Lastly, on very high milage cars you tend to get a lot more blue smoke due to engine wear were the combustion chambers have started to go oval shape due the what they call piston slap.
This happens because of the forces placed on the pistion on its travel up and down in the combustion chamber wear from side to side.
To get a better idea and to see for yourself do a internet search for the workings of a four stroke engine were you will find a generated working model. Hope this helps Thumbs Up

Post #87015 8th Jan 2011 12:06 pm
frankreid

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

For sure it is a good help.. well put ... thank you ..

Frank R9 FLR

Post #87269 9th Jan 2011 11:42 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

your welcome, please excuse my spelling though its not briliant lol

Post #87370 10th Jan 2011 8:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1