Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > New Car - question already!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sparkzz

New Car - question already!

Hi

I took delivery of an 08 plate Freelander two days ago, and tonight have noticed a strange issue and had a look on the net, couldnt find anything to do with the fault.

One of my habbits with my old car was to lock the car with keyfob, and check the rear passenger door as I had keyless entery on it, and if you check the handle on the front it would unlock the car, so after locking i check the rear door to make sure.

On doing this tonight on the freelander, to my surprise the door opened and the wail type alarm activated, had to unlock the locks using the keyfob to stop the alarm sounding.

Trying it again, double locking it, and tried the front door, and its closed, but then grabbing the rear door handle and it opens and alarm goes off again!

Has anyone had an issue with this or heard about it?

Thanks in advance, and nice to meet you all!!

Cheers

Mark

Post #86619 5th Jan 2011 10:38 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Does the lock on the door move and work if you manually lock it?

And welcome to the forum Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #86620 5th Jan 2011 10:41 pm
sparkzz

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome, and fast reply...

Just been back out to the car, and lean in front door to manually lock it, shut front door and keyfob twice, and yes the rear door stays locked... however if you then open all doors by double pressing the button and re-double lock the rear door doesnt lock again, so sounds like a fault there Sad

Thanks for your question, didnt think about trying manually, otherwise the car would have stayed open tonight. Thumbs Up

Cheers

Post #86627 5th Jan 2011 10:58 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

A 2008 should have warranty on it including Landrover Assistance

You could alway call them to have a look, car not locking etc etc Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #86631 5th Jan 2011 11:04 pm
ad210358

England 

I had that twice last year in the cold spell, twice in the same day I locked the car and tried to open the drivers door and it opened and set the alarm off. Had a look at it gave it a spray of WD40 and it hasn't done it since. (Touch wood)

Post #86634 5th Jan 2011 11:08 pm
sparkzz

Thanks, Yes the car does still have warrenty unitl June i think, so will phone the local dealer.

I have now noticed after looking at it today, the offside rear door only doesnt lock using the key fob, nor does it open.

So the only way to lock it is by manually pressing the lock from inside.

Apart from this issue, I love the car!

Post #86737 6th Jan 2011 8:53 pm
yorkshirerob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Ipanema Sand

I've got this problem with locking and just wondered if you two guys ever sorted the issue out, and how?
Did WD40 cure it long term?

Mine does the same thing---appears to lock, lights flash, mirrors fold in etc, but when you check drivers door it opens and alarm sets off.

Strange thing is, the fault is intermittent about once in 10 locks....but admittedly seems more likely when cold so must suspect lube stiffening up or something?

Post #91359 8th Feb 2011 8:01 pm
ad210358

England 

It never did it again but have since traded it in so I no longer report if it cured it totally, but after a bit of WD40 it never did it for the next six weeks. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #91370 8th Feb 2011 9:12 pm
geoff.c

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue
door locks

I seem to have the same problem as sparkzz. Have had the 08 GS for a week today. If locking the doors with the remote, the o/s/r door stays unlocked. "Checking" for locked doors then causes the alarm to sound as the rear door opens. I reach in the back and manually lock it ok, then use the remote to lock the rest. It does unlock normally with the remote, so is sort of half working I guess. I mentioned it to the salesman, when he called to see if all was well. He thought it was unusual, and could offer no advice. It is under warranty, so I have said I will live with it for a while, in case anything else arises. It is a 25 mile trip to the dealers, so don't want to go too often!

Post #91637 11th Feb 2011 7:19 pm
geoff.c

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue
door locks

Well, I noted the WD40 spraying post, so thought I would give it a go. Without removing the door card or anything, I sprayed some WD around the lock, and pulling back the interior handle, sprayed a bit over the pivots of it and the locking lever. Used the straw on the WD40 nozzle to improve my aim. After working the levers for a while, I tried locking up. The o/s/r door locked straight away!! Tried again and it failed, Rolling Eyes then tried again and it locked again. Looks as though it may be intermittent but improving. Then went round and sprayed the rest.

Post #91761 12th Feb 2011 9:49 pm
dunroof

WD40, I swear by it. Great for doing a quiff in the hair too.

Post #91769 12th Feb 2011 10:51 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

WD40 is an excellent product for releasing seized or rusted items, however it is NOT a long term lubricant. When it dries out it can actually make thing worse. Once you have got things working using WD or similar try to repeat process with 3 in one oil (available in spray can) within a few days for a lasting job. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #91771 13th Feb 2011 12:12 am
alex_pescaru

Browsing the forum I've stubled across this thread and I've remembered that there is a technical service bulletin which address exactly the sympthoms you are describing.
LTB00282v4 - Side Door Latch Diagnostics.
Maybe it will be of use for somebody...

Post #92183 16th Feb 2011 2:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1