j7730th Jan 2011 4:51 pm
User Registered Confirmed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 
Feeler for a summer Scottish event

Couple of years ago I organised a day out following the General Wade's and the Roman Roads in the southern highlands. Format was meet at J9 M9/ Stirling Moto Services - then travel by the back roads to Wallace Monument, over Sheriffmuir to Crief then Glen Turret (without a stop at the Grouse Experience! but JMB took us on a brilliant side trip up to the reservoir above the Distillery) then via the Sma Glen to Amulree, over the high road to Kenmore with a lunch stop at the Forestry Picnic site on the shore of Loch Tay, then via the backroads to Glen Lyon for an afternoon cuppa and over the rough tracks to Killin where we split up and those from the east drove back home via the north shore of Loch Tay and those from the south and west went via Killin to Lix Toll then either via the west side of Loch Lomond or via the Trossachs to Glasgow and points south.

If anybody is interested in doing a similar run in June/July 2011 then I would be happy to run another one. When we set out there was no intention of going offroading BUT we did find that the hummock where we had afternoon tea was ideal for John to show us how to get RRS's/D3's and FFRR's into extended offroad height and for folks to give GGS mode a play with on some firm grass. I put the invite on RRS, D3, Def2, Freel2 and FFRR - mainly Disco3's came along with one RRS, one FFRR and a Tdi200 Def with it's 17 year old driver! It turned into a great day with plenty of sunshine (it was August and for once there were very few midges in evidence). As before this is intended to be totally on paved roads with no offroad driving planned, suitable for any showroom standard Land Rover, even those with low slung body kits

I'm also open to suggestions for variations on the route or even to arrange a totally different run - eg one of my favourite picnic trips in the summer is to go North to the start of the Corrie Varrick Pass run which involves some nice fast roads as well as single tracks. Or I love the "Road to the Isles" run passing Tyndrum, Bridge Of Orchy, Black Mount Ski Centre then turn off the main road near to the Kings House Hotel, down the unclassified road that follows Glen Etive, round the back of Buachaille Etive Mor to Loch Etive - it's a dead end road but with stunning scenery. There are lots of private roads around these areas that are closed to public access so if anybody knows any landowners (or even if they are a landowner in the area!) and would be prepare to let us drive their private roads that would be fantastic

The sign up is only an expression of interest to give an idea if this would appeal to Scottish members or those holidaying in Scotland at that time of the year. The date is a bit flexible as I don't know what my leave schedule is going to be, but at the moment it looks like I will be home in late June or early July.

I will also post this on the RRS/D3/Freel2/Def2 and BabyRR forums How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #86255 3rd Jan 2011 4:02 am
dunroof

Sounds like you put a lot of thourght into it. It would be rude not to attend.

Post #86259 3rd Jan 2011 8:31 am
Bottom

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I'm up for this, some of my favourite roads there. Cool

Post #86264 3rd Jan 2011 9:31 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Please can you add your name to the sign up then Bottom............................... How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover

Post #86269 3rd Jan 2011 10:33 am
j77

Scotland 

If it's between 13th June - 4th July then I should be able to attend. Never been able to attend any off the previous events before. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #90179 30th Jan 2011 4:51 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Due to a new baby expected first half of September, I hope to run this event mid-late September now. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?

Post #96539 26th Mar 2011 11:33 am
dunroof

Does your wife know! Shocked

Post #96541 26th Mar 2011 11:36 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

dunroof wrote:
Sounds like you put a lot of thourght into it. It would be rude not to attend.

Long way from Swansea is scotland Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #96549 26th Mar 2011 12:30 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

dunroof wrote:
Does your wife know! Shocked

Do you need to have a wife to have a new baby in this day and age? I'm having it all on my own and I'm not being racist here, but it's going to be a White baby! How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?

Post #96555 26th Mar 2011 2:14 pm
dunroof

Yeah, npinks, thats whats the M6 is for! Laughing Takes next to no time - 4 hours.

Tim, still trying to work out exactly what your saying. Maybe it's my turn to be thick today!

Post #96562 26th Mar 2011 3:40 pm
ad210358

England 

And Swansea is a good couple of hours from the M6. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #96565 26th Mar 2011 3:45 pm
EYorkshire

dunroof wrote:

Tim, still trying to work out exactly what your saying. Maybe it's my turn to be thick today!

It may be a good brain cell day for me, I believe Mr Tim is talking about him 'expecting' and 'due' his white baby as in his sig. Thumbs Up

Post #96567 26th Mar 2011 3:54 pm
dunroof

Did wonder.

Post #96581 26th Mar 2011 8:12 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

EYorks Thumbs Up How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?

Post #96582 26th Mar 2011 8:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1