Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Hi, thanks and a service cost question.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey
Hi, thanks and a service cost question.

First post so please be gentle Smile Also a quick acknowledgement & thanks to the great research tool this forum has been for me as I'm considering changing my current car. I've decided to go down the SUV route (I hate that classification for some reason Confused ) and have gone through the usual suspects, discounting them for one reason or another.

I'm left with the Freelander and the CR-V. I've test driven the later this weekend and liked it alot, as did my wife. Now I realise that although they are both classed as SUV's they are somewhat different animals in real life, but to be honest the Honda is probably 4WD enough for our actually needs. I currently have an A4 which coped pretty well in the snowy conditions, certainly better than our MX5 which, brilliant as it is, gets very confused to what end is its front at the first hint of snow. However, it did struggle on the ungritted back roads around where we live.

The financial side of the Honda is looking pretty favourable, especially as if I take out the 2yr 0% deal they throw in 3 yrs servicing. The trouble is, it's not a Freelander and the big kid in me wants a Freelander Smile. Working everything out on a SD4 GS, and getting near to broker prices and match the trade in of the Audi, the FL is about £2.5k more to buy. I can accept that, whether my wife can is tomorrows hurdle Rolling Eyes , but I am a bit alarmed at the servicing costs I've read on here Shocked. Has anyone taken out a service plan that I've seen mentioned on some of the dealer websites? I wondered what the monthly cost is, although I suppose it's just the cost of the years service divided into monthly chunks. Any thoughts on service plans?

The other fly in the ointment, and cue many Rolling Eyes, is the reliability question mark. I know it's largely unfounded and you can cop a bad car from any manufacturer, and to be honest one of the reasons I'm looking to change cars is the A4 is approaching 3yrs old and has had more niggling faults and warranty work than any car I've owned, but like many new Land Rover owners, it's in the back of my mind.

I need to arrange a test drive of a FL now and see if the reality lives up to what my heart thinks it will be like.

Steve

Post #86253 3rd Jan 2011 2:36 am
dunroof

Personally, I think service plans tie you into a particular dealer and arn't cheap. I wouldn't go down that road. I normally phone a few dealers up and then get my local one to price match. Works everytime. 250 1st service, 330 2nd service. Haven't done one yet for the 3rd.

LR's are fine, but I did hear the Honda are a close rival and probably tops for reliability. It all depends what you are actually going to do with it. 99.9% of the time, we dont need half the toys we've got.

As for LR dealers, don't get us started. They are all robbers, some do it with a smile, but most dont even do that.

Post #86262 3rd Jan 2011 8:38 am
weirdfish

Yeah my local dealer is Lookers at Chelmsford and even this early in the process they are hardly making an effort. When I phoned them last week to arrange a test drive they said we're shut until the new year. When I asked when that was I got a flippant reply of 'january as usual sir'. I will be popping over the water to Beadles, Sidcup, from now on.

There does seem to be more issues with the CR-V than other Honda products but it still looks a safe bet, but it is a little dull and it doesn't seem the sort of car you would look forward to driving for the sake of it olus I felt it was only just powerful enough. It felt it a bit sluggish between 40-60mph. I'm expecting the SD4 to better in that respect.

Post #86272 3rd Jan 2011 11:09 am
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

I had a new CRV in 2007, had lots of trouble with steering pulling badly to left, lots of complaints about this on forums, never properly corrected. Was invited to Honda day at Turnberry Hotel and drove 3 different CRV's all had steering pull. Also issues with badly corroded rear brake discs at 9 months and 10000 miles, new discs under warranty but fitted old pads (Honda directive) so 5 months later new discs and pads. Then a new Freelander!!!!

Now on my 3rd Freelander 2 an SD4 GS, that speaks for itself. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #86282 3rd Jan 2011 1:35 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Why not go for a TD4 GS which would bring down the initial cost as well as reduce your running costs. TD4 is £155 per year for road tax and about 42 mpg when run in? The performance difference is not that great and the TD4 is still pretty nimble just a bit slower on acceleration.

Post #86305 3rd Jan 2011 5:48 pm
weirdfish

Just got back from a late flying visit to Beadles Sidcup and was treated immeasurably better. It was too late in the day to take a useful test drive so I'm returning on Wednesday.

I'm pretty much sold but I can't spend this sort of money without confirming I like driving it. The only fly in the ointment at the moment is the cost of servicing as it seems outrageously expensive, even after shopping around. Mind you, the guy buying a 75 grand Vogue today didn't seem too fussed Rolling Eyes

Post #86307 3rd Jan 2011 5:53 pm
weirdfish

rchrdleigh wrote:
Why not go for a TD4 GS which would bring down the initial cost as well as reduce your running costs. TD4 is £155 per year for road tax and about 42 mpg when run in? The performance difference is not that great and the TD4 is still pretty nimble just a bit slower on acceleration.

I am considering it and to be honest when I started researching the FL I was looking at the TD4. The thing is I'm looking for an auto which knocks the purchase price up, not to mention the tax & consumption. As a brief explanation, I have a dodgy left knee with some metalwork in it which does on occasion swell up and make clutch usage impractical if not impossible. So it makes sense for us to have one of the cars as an auto.

I'm not too concerned about acceleration as its not the sort of car I'm expecting blistering standing starts, however, I do want a useful midrange, which the Honda didn't really seem to have. If you floored it at 35-40mph to simulate an overtake, it took a while to kick down then sort of came back with a 'well if I must' feeling.

I'm hoping the FL is more usable in that respect, and given the torque is the same on both the SD4 & TD4 I suppose they offer similar midrange performance.

Steve

Post #86310 3rd Jan 2011 6:07 pm
PaulC

United Kingdom 

I have to say wierdfish that I went through the same concerns regarding the servicing. It is outrageously expensive by any standards for what they have to do. But isn't that in keeping with the price of the car? Isn't that expensive too? Sure, it is a great car and owning one is a worthwhile experience (I hope! Mine arrives March!!!!) but an expensive experience none the less.

I fussed over this point and came to the conclusion that if I keep the car 3 years then the price of the servicing over that time when compared with how much the car is costing me in other ways... depreciation, fuel, tyres, insurance etc, so an extra hundred on each service was pigeon feed when taken in context.

It is an expensive car, servicing is expensive too... but I want one and so I am prepared to pay a few extra hundred on servicing... after all, I am already spending a few extra thousand to get it in the first place. I suppose that is easy for me to say because I can afford it but I think it is fair to assume most people buying a new FL2 aren't hard up for a few bob!

If I had a choice between the Honda and the FL2 and the only thing stopping me deciding between them is the cost of servicing then I would just buy the Honda. In that case the FL2 probably won't justify the extra cost. If on the otherhand you really do want the FL2 then the extra cost of servicing is not all that significant in the scale of things really IMHO.

I have gone for the SD4 HSE. I tow and so I wanted the extra power and torque without having to resort to remapping. If you don't use the extra power then it looks like the fuel consumption figures will be similar to the TD4.

BTW IIRC the torque is up 20nM on the SD4 and it peaks at a more useful 1750rpm instead of 2000rpm. Better for towing hopefully.

Last edited by PaulC on 3rd Jan 2011 6:27 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #86312 3rd Jan 2011 6:17 pm
JOHNTYWYN

Wales 

I have owned several 4 wheel drives over the years; starting with a Ford Maverick which really was quite frightened of snow; getting stuck the first time I used it; Subarus, Suzuki Jimnies and three Toyota Ravs. For a short time I had a series 3 Land Rover Discovery; but because it was too big I changed it for a Freelander 2.
Apart from the Maverick, all these cars were capable in snow; but I have to say that the Land Rover is a class act. The only thing that will stop a Land Rover is a road blocked by other vehicles; and even then it is worth looking into the possibility of opening a gate to a field, and making an off road detour.

For anyone living in an area where extreme conditions prevail, a Land Rover is a must. There is really no substitute. I have done 14000 miles in mine so far and no problems; and the servicing costs would appear to be not a lot more than other vehicles at the bottom of its class.

Post #86314 3rd Jan 2011 6:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
weirdfish

Thanks guys.

PaulC, that's a very well argued point about the costs. I have to say that at the moment I'm finding it easier to accept, if not justify, the increased servicing costs than it is to accept that although the CR-V is more than suited to my basic needs, it's not what I really want.

The sensible thing financially is to keep what I have Rolling Eyes but where's the fun it that.

Post #86321 3rd Jan 2011 6:51 pm
Mercedes_Ben

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Biscay Blue

I spent a year looking at the options too. CRV or FL2? I still have my Mercedes S320 which is a dream to own and drive, but since I took early retirement and can spend more time ( most of it !!) with dogs, fishing and photography I needed something to go occasionaly off road.
I went for a 2010 HSE last month and I am very pleased indeed with it, as are my family and dogs ! Plenty of toys and compared to the running costs of my Merc (£750 for service!) this will save me a packet as well. Only thing I didnt like were the cheap halogen reflector headlights which should never have been on a £30k vehicle Censored
Land Rover now have projector headlights as standard (MY2011) and I am following suit by changing the headlights.
These are new on ebay for £90 a pair, and when I think of the £1000 I paid for my Mercedes headlights Censored

FL2 is a joy to drive and own, best decision I have made in many years of driving Thumbs Up

Post #86324 3rd Jan 2011 7:25 pm
gstd4-e

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

I bought a 3 year service package back in September 2010 which covers the cost of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd service for £1000 (includes brake fluid change at 3rd service).

Allowing for inflation and increased cost of Vat and parts I’m happy. A Land Rover owner since 1988

From a 1974 series III to a 12MY XS FL2 with help of a 1995 D1, 1996 D1, 2005 D3, 2007 D3 and a 2009 FL2.

Post #86329 3rd Jan 2011 8:26 pm
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Mercedes_Ben wrote:
Land Rover now have projector headlights as standard (MY2011) and I am following suit by changing the headlights.
These are new on ebay for £90 a pair,

Looked on ebay but cant find them, can you pont me in the right direction and also advise if it is just a straight swap of the headlights or something more technical Question freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #86332 3rd Jan 2011 8:50 pm
Mercedes_Ben

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Biscay Blue

Here you go

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FREELANDER-2-HEADLIG...url][/url]

http://motors-parts.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html...m270.l1313

Straight swap, I will have them fitted in the next few days when they arrive and let you know with photos etc.

Five minute job for each headight

Post #86333 3rd Jan 2011 8:59 pm
brightsparking

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

My wife and I have both the FL2 SE (2007) and a CRV Executive Auto (2004) and the choice of which car is best was so very very easy to make, although I was surprised at how much better the freelander is. It simply feels so much better, drives better, handles the road and off road better. The Honda is better for load space......Haven't tried a recent Handa CRV mind you.

Reliability wise the head says Honda, but reality says they are both reliable in my case bar basic issues with brakes on both cars, power steering issues on the Honda. The Landrover has been better.....

The FL2 has done two trips to the Alps in the last two years, trundling down the autobahn at 115 with roofbox and gained many an admiring look from the locals.

My FL2 was going to be a (second hand) Porsche 911 until I went down the motorway one morning in the snow at 5am and to be honest I don't think I'll have anything else now, and the CRV will be replaced with a - LR2........

Brightsparking

Post #86649 6th Jan 2011 1:08 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>