« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Computer and mpg
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Sam

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Computer and mpg

The post (annual data) by our revered mod Mr Pinks reminded me that I have been collecting a one-off bit of data concerning the mpg shown on our computers.
The following is every fill up (brim to brim) since I bought the car where big differences in consumption are due to towing and the recent snow BUT the real issue is that the computer data differs from under 2% inaccuracy to nearly 6%.

mpg
Actual Computer Difference
30.92 32.46 4.98%
32.49 34.10 4.95%
27.27 28.60 4.88%
29.11 29.80 2.39%
23.71 25.10 5.85%
26.74 27.20 1.71%
26.38 27.90 5.77%
20.41 21.60 5.85%
24.04 25.00 3.98%
27.80 28.40 2.17%

The least accurate happen to be the worst consumption but the best 2 consumption figures are 3rd and 4th least accurate - go figure!

Post #85166 22nd Dec 2010 5:08 pm
andw

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

isnt the mpg computer a guide and will never replace the math by a human !!!

anyway i came from an RR and i think my mpg is great for the room you get in this great and very capable
4x4
and also brim to brim sugests that the fueling was above and beynond the tank capacity in the book, also how acurate is what is left in the tank at refuel point was it run dry so a start point could attained.

i no i just a thikie and i am sure some one will put me right Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #85194 22nd Dec 2010 7:18 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

The iPhone app I used calcs on miles/ litres added just as long as you always stop topping up on the first click to says the tanks full you get good enough data Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #85197 22nd Dec 2010 7:25 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I think the MPG is terrible given it was marketted as the most fuel efficient Landrover ever built.

How are you in reality supposed to work out the average mpg anyway as if you reset the trip before a motorway journey and then do town work it reads (on mine anyway) around 32MPG or if you do as I did nearly 2 weeks ago reset the trip & do the vast majority of driving in the towns then it reads around 27MPG which IMO is a discrace especially as I have heard members on here who have achieved well over 40 MPG Shocked (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #85200 22nd Dec 2010 7:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

EV,
I'm still getting just over 40 mpg despite the recent drop in temperature.
Thing is, i don't do any short runs or any town driving. Neither do i get stuck in traffic.
Also, my FL2 is a manual.
If none of those mentioned were true, then i'd expect high 20's to low 30's.
Most cars will drink juice with town driving not just FL2, even more so in cold weather.
I do think you're being a little harsh. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #85201 22nd Dec 2010 8:03 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

That's because start stop urban driving is less mpg than a motorway driving as your often in first and second gear

I bet those who get higher mpg do more motorway cruising than those with lower

I also bet that those who get higher mpg will Miss Daisy to their driving speed where as I like to get there and not dordell about Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #85204 22nd Dec 2010 8:07 pm
Pegleg

Most of mine is on either green lanes where you can't put you foot down, at least if you've any sense.
My longer runs are on single carrigeway 'A' roads where the heavies soon slow you down.
Nothing to do with driving like Miss Daisy!!!
We quite simlpy only have one fast road in Shropshire. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #85205 22nd Dec 2010 8:17 pm
The Valeter

I would say that I am a pretty gentle driver in as much as I don't thrash my cars & am even more dainty when the engine is cold (This is something you must do when you own cars with a "K" Series Rover engine).
I hardly ever use the aircon at all & mine is a manual. I do however do a lot of short journeys. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #85206 22nd Dec 2010 8:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pegleg

EV,
Short distance driving will ruin the MPG of any vehicle as it takes some time for the ECU to lean out the mixture, even more so when the temp is low.
Try resetting your trip comp and look at the comsumption over the first mile after a cold start.

K series? I assume that you were trying to keep the head straight! Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #85210 22nd Dec 2010 8:28 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I could manage 38-42 MPG around town "congested driving" from my previous 320CD Beemer and was very happy with that, especially on a reasonable return trip between my home and the east coast of Yorkshire, where I could get 600 miles to the tank on 50/50 motorway and 'A' road driving while keeping it around 80 on the M/way.
Driving the "manual" FL2 around town returns between 32-35 MPG according to the OBC and on the same motorway run I can still get 600 miles from a tank while keeping it around 75 on the M/way.

It's heavier with a Bigger engine and it's a 4x4 with more tech and gadgets as standard than an equivalently priced entry level BM with no toys worth a mention.

Personally I can't complain at those figures and it's the reason I went for the FL2 over a Disco in the first place, that and the cheaper road tax. I liked driving the Beemer, but I'm having more fun in the FL2!

Post #85216 22nd Dec 2010 9:07 pm
The Valeter

Pegleg wrote:

K series? I assume that you were trying to keep the head straight!

You know it!! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.

Post #85218 22nd Dec 2010 9:41 pm
Pegleg

EV,
Eye Sire, know it well.
And after all that care the big elastic band that turns the cam round snaps. Ouch!!!
Pity really, even the 1.4 twin cam had some go.
Then again, i loved the 'A series'.
Pity the gearbox and clutch wern't up to it. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #85222 22nd Dec 2010 10:05 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

EV - I am getting exactly what you are at the moment, 27mpg in a manual MY10. Again, most of our driving is round town with the odd run on a motorway. It's great being one of the only people on the road who can get grip though and despite some minor niggles, really like the FL2. Have noticed that some people who are getting higher mpgs seem to have slightly older cars so am hoping ours will improve the older it gets. Only done 15K miles so not even close to being broken in yet.

Post #85260 23rd Dec 2010 1:30 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

npinks wrote:
The iPhone app I used calcs on miles/ litres added just as long as you always stop topping up on the first click to says the tanks full you get good enough data

Nick, do you know of a similar programme that will work on a PC.

Cheers,

Bill Turner. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #85268 23rd Dec 2010 3:32 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Sorry I don't, only ever looked for my iPhone as I log the data as and when I fill up

Sure somebody might though Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #85293 23rd Dec 2010 5:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1