« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear Light Guards Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
quickmotor

Ireland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey
Rear Light Guards Help

Just wondering if anybody has fitted the rear light guards to their freelander yet? I have bought a pair but cannot follow the instructions Mad . It says that you have to use a rivet gun Shocked . As I have never used one of these before I would love to hear from someone that has fitted these to their car.

Any help much appreciated.

Post #5335 9th Aug 2007 10:31 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Having not fitted them before so can't really offer any help although the instructions look clear to me.

The rivet isn't actually a "Pot Rivet", it what we used to call "Hank Nuts", but fitted in a similar way. The guns are similar but with a hank nut you screw it onto the end of the gun, poke it through the hole and squeeze the handle.

Only thing that would bother me is that one side of the guard looks like it is attached to the light cluster by drilling through the side of it. In my opinion and hard enough "knock" on the guard would crack the light cluster at the point where it is mounted. The other side looks ok as it is mounted on some sort of bracket.

Sorry that I can't be of any help but I wish you luck. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #5340 9th Aug 2007 12:27 pm
quickmotor

Ireland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

UKdave104 wrote:
Having not fitted them before so can't really offer any help although the instructions look clear to me.

The rivet isn't actually a "Pot Rivet", it what we used to call "Hank Nuts", but fitted in a similar way. The guns are similar but with a hank nut you screw it onto the end of the gun, poke it through the hole and squeeze the handle.

Only thing that would bother me is that one side of the guard looks like it is attached to the light cluster by drilling through the side of it. In my opinion and hard enough "knock" on the guard would crack the light cluster at the point where it is mounted. The other side looks ok as it is mounted on some sort of bracket.

Sorry that I can't be of any help but I wish you luck.

Thanks Dave for that information. So am I right in saying that a normal rivet gun will not work for these "Hank Nuts"? You are also right in the fact that you do drill the light cluster to put them on. I am in 2 minds of fitting them now Confused

Post #5342 9th Aug 2007 12:31 pm
Cypress

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Rear Light Guards Help

quickmotor wrote:
Just wondering if anybody has fitted the rear light guards to their freelander yet? I have bought a pair but cannot follow the instructions Mad . It says that you have to use a rivet gun Shocked . As I have never used one of these before I would love to hear from someone that has fitted these to their car.

Any help much appreciated.

Hi,

The instructions refer to a rivnut tool, this is used to compress the rivnut (silver t shaped things in the kit) so that they provide a thread for the screws to fasten to.

I could not find my rivnut tool, and all other approaches resulted in loads of swearing . . .

So instead of using the rivnuts, I marked up the postions of everything and and discovered that I could simply used a standard nut behind the supplied screws as there is space to get a spanner in there. The ones on the car body are really easy to get to, the one in the lamp clusters are a bit more fiddly.

It is probably best to use nylock nuts so they don't rattle loose, I think that they are M5 nuts.

Hope this helps.....

Paul;

Post #5343 9th Aug 2007 12:34 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I deleted my post as it was too late and I gave a response relating to pop rivets as detailed in the first post.

Last edited by Gambba on 9th Aug 2007 12:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #5344 9th Aug 2007 12:48 pm
Dave

My thoughts exactly Cypress,

Thats the way I would do it if I was fitting them, just make sure to use a flat washer between the nut and the plastic lense. Also putting a wadge of masking tape around the drill that will help to stop you drilling more than 5mm into the lense.

Let us know how you get on. ______________________
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #5345 9th Aug 2007 12:48 pm
Cypress

UKdave104 wrote:
My thoughts exactly Cypress,

Thats the way I would do it if I was fitting them, just make sure to use a flat washer between the nut and the plastic lense. Also putting a wadge of masking tape around the drill that will help to stop you drilling more than 5mm into the lense.

Let us know how you get on.

Unfortuanley you can't get a flat washer between the nut and the rear light, there are a series of ribs on the inside of the rear lamp cluster.

Regards

Paul;

Post #5346 9th Aug 2007 1:00 pm
Dave

Not even a rubber washer Question ______________________
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #5349 9th Aug 2007 1:55 pm
Cypress

UKdave104 wrote:
Not even a rubber washer Question

Probably not, as this would likely foul on the 'ribs' that are inside the light cluster, it would depend upon where the holes were drilled. The positioning of the holes in the light clusters is open to interpretation Wink

Paul;

Post #5354 9th Aug 2007 4:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1