« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Interior Lights & Folding Door Mirrors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
athelstan

Interior Lights & Folding Door Mirrors

As with any unusual episode it's best to start at the beginning:

Many of you will know that on a recent visit to the UK, Lookers Park Royal were very kind to attend to an number of issues we were experiencing with her Ladyship's MY2010 FL2. One of these was the minor matter of our Swiss Dealer being unable to programme the door mirrors to fold upon locking the vehicle with one press of the key fob. LPR achieved this without any difficulty and for two weeks thereafter that function performed faultlessly, until that is her FL2 was called in by the Swiss dealer to install the latest "Reduced Engine Performance" software release.

So FL2 into Swiss dealer - message back: "REM update is installed" - "however we are unable to get your door mirrors to fold either by the press of the key fob or by depressing the driver's door mirror controls". We need to check with LR CH and get back to you.

As at yesterday morning twelve days had gone by and the Swiss Dealer had not got back to us and the door mirrors were still not folding. Then early Tuesday evening I had to take my daughter to her music lessons and the FL2 took matters into its own hands.

Firstly the interior lights started to come on and then fade off (fade off just as they do when you lock the car) whilst I was driving. They did this repeatedly throughout the course of the short journey (7kms). At the end of the drive after parking the car I pressed the key fob to lock the car and the door mirrors folded.

After music school I pressed the key fob to unlock and the mirrors opened out. Drove home and where in the middle of our village the road narrows between two very old houses I pressed the door mirror controls to fold them both in - they did. Arriving at home I pressed the key fob to lock the car - the mirrors did not fold! I used another key fob - same result no fold.

UFO's flying overhead - Malfunctioning LR firmware - Faulty door mirror mechanism - Imperfect Swiss Dealer software installation. Take your pick. Any ideas anyone re what to check n fix before I call the Swiss dealer today re a reprimand.

(It's a bit too far [approx. 1,100 kms] to those fine chaps at Lookers Park Royal to ask them to unravel this latest Swiss Dealer botch Big Cry )

Post #84292 15th Dec 2010 8:38 am
alex_pescaru

The single thing that comes into my mind and it is related to all of this could be a faulty switch inside one of the doors (more likely the driver's door), that could translate/give an abnormal door state.
Let them check all the wirings and connections on the driver's door as long as neither manual folding is not working. By checking I mean unplugging and then plug them back after spraying them with some "contact spray". (not just looking and/or pressing)
Could be because of the temperatures, dilatation coeficients, etc., generating an imperfect contact.

Post #84293 15th Dec 2010 9:12 am
athelstan

Cheers Alex for that advice Thumbs Up - I'll have a look at all the door switches including the tailgate.

Post #84296 15th Dec 2010 9:48 am
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

I seem to recall that if you use the mirror controls to fold the mirrors in then they will not fold automatically when you lock the car. If you fold the mirrors using the mirror control then you need to unfold them the same way before they will then fold automatically again.

My MY11 XS mirrors didn't fold automatically when I picked it up from the Dealer but they did once I'd done a fold/unfold with the mirror control switches.

May not be the same problem but might be worth a try

Post #84314 15th Dec 2010 3:35 pm
athelstan

rchrdleigh
You are correct re using manual mirror controls and I had tried that to initially overcome the problem to no avail - however many thanks for the "heads-up".
It's still a work in progress.

Post #84318 15th Dec 2010 4:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1