« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Diesel soot particle filter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Diesel soot particle filter

Unfortunately, we Germans have a tendency to exaggerate things - particularely our politicians. Landrover has introduced the Freelander II only in May 2007 in Germany due to pollution control reasons: every new Freelander II had to have the soot particle filter included. Without this filter, a "penalty tax" is due and new cars without this filter are unsellable.
My new Freely II registered beginning of August 2007 has this soot particle filter (DPF) - and the problem started.
After collecting my new Freely and on my way home from the dealer the bord computer tells me: "DPF full - contact dealer". The engine reduced power considerably, and the yellow engine fault warning appeared in the display. So I stopped the engine, phoned my dealer - and was towed back into the dealership. Big surprise everwhere - this is new to us, has never happened before etc.
So I re-collected my BMW X3 which I had sold to the dealer and went home - not very happy.
Next day (afternoon) the dealer phoned and told me that the fault had been corrected and that I may collect my car: a pressure switch in the exhaust system has been simply "forgotten", and has been put in place.
The dealer told me that he wants to see me again only for the first maintenance service (free).
At least, I could drive home this time, of course beeing very alert to what might happen next.
But if the Freely II runs, it runs well.
Yamaha-Fan

Post #5254 8th Aug 2007 6:33 am
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Does anyone know if this is fitted to the UK version? I know it covers it in the manual, but that doesn't mean anything.

Post #5268 8th Aug 2007 3:10 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) generally require a means of checking if the system is functioning correctly and that the trapped particles within the filter (maybe silicon carbide) are being burnt off and not just clogging it up.

The system will monitor the back pressure created by the DPF (There may be other methods but I certainly am not aware of them for DPF's) and from this determine if it is blocked or not, so I think it safe to assume that every FL2/LR2 with a DPF will have the pressure switch fitted.

Gambba.

Post #5270 8th Aug 2007 4:13 pm
NightFox

Gambba wrote:
Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) generally require a means of checking if the system is functioning correctly and that the trapped particles within the filter (maybe silicon carbide) are being burnt off and not just clogging it up.

The system will monitor the back pressure created by the DPF (There may be other methods but I certainly am not aware of them for DPF's) and from this determine if it is blocked or not, so I think it safe to assume that every FL2/LR2 with a DPF will have the pressure switch fitted.

Gambba.

Sorry, I didn't make my question very clear. I meant do UK vehicles have a DPF, not the sensor.

Post #5272 8th Aug 2007 4:24 pm
Gambba

Embarassed

Trust me to dive into the technical crap....it's my job what can I say! Rolling Eyes

It is offered as an option in the UK and other regions that LR ship to. At this time there is no country which must have these fitted as standard as far as I am aware, and as our German friend said you either have to pay extra tax or have it fitted.

In the future I guess we'll see them as standard items once the government stop focusing on the emissions on diesels and more on the black crap coming out of the exhaust. Yawn

Post #5273 8th Aug 2007 4:52 pm
NightFox

Gambba wrote:
Embarassed

Trust me to dive into the technical crap....it's my job what can I say! Rolling Eyes

It is offered as an option in the UK and other regions that LR ship to. At this time there is no country which must have these fitted as standard as far as I am aware, and as our German friend said you either have to pay extra tax or have it fitted.

In the future I guess we'll see them as standard items once the government stop focusing on the emissions on diesels and more on the black crap coming out of the exhaust. Yawn

When you say "an option", do you mean a customer-selectable one? I don't see it in the list of options...

Post #5289 8th Aug 2007 6:56 pm
Gambba

On the LR UK site under 'Specifications' then 'Features and Options' and under transmission it shows it as an option, but as it was not meant to be released until Spring 07 it may be that you wont find it on many price lists........I guess......

Post #5309 8th Aug 2007 8:59 pm
kenny

United Kingdom 2008 LR2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Quote:
it is offered as an option in the UK

I have been reading the oil threads by Yamaha fan, and am going to upgrade my oil to the spec recommended by her. Only problem is determining wether my FL has a DPF or not. Its a UK model 2008 GS 2.2TD - how do I check?

Post #58801 9th Feb 2010 6:15 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

DPF is a selectable option in the UK, but by the time EU5 emissions are mandatory, almost every new Diesel in the EU will have one of these sh*t boxes fitted so you'll have no choice. Great Censored

Post #58877 9th Feb 2010 11:01 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

kenny wrote:
Quote:
it is offered as an option in the UK

I have been reading the oil threads by Yamaha fan, and am going to upgrade my oil to the spec recommended by her. Only problem is determining wether my FL has a DPF or not. Its a UK model 2008 GS 2.2TD - how do I check?

8th letter in VIN is a C Whistle means you have it. If B = you don't. If A = you're mega rich, have a petrol and don't care...

Post #58878 9th Feb 2010 11:04 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Thanks Natwest - but I had to check as the dealer paperwork didn't include the letters SAL at the start of the VIN, counting 8 along made it an H Shocked . Anyway on the V5 mines a 'B' = No DPF Thumbs Up

Post #58936 10th Feb 2010 12:07 pm
kenny

Quote:
Anyway on the V5 mines a 'B' = No DPF Thumbs Up

+1

Post #58998 10th Feb 2010 4:20 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

On the V5 mines a B so according to Natwest NO DPF - if that is so why does the handbook go into great detail about regeneration and not parking on long dry grass etc Confused Confused

Hope you are right as I do a lot of stop start journey's

Tenet MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #59021 10th Feb 2010 6:17 pm
kenny

Quote:
if that is so why does the handbook go into great detail about regeneration and not parking on long dry grass etc

The handbook goes into great detail about all sorts of crap I don't have.............. Big Cry

Post #59079 10th Feb 2010 11:47 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Polluting the planet like a good'un.... B for me Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #59089 11th Feb 2010 9:26 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>