« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Tyres for my Freelander2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
valleyboy

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black
Tyres for my Freelander2

Further to my question regarding tyres for my vehicle, I am still having trouble obtaining them because of shortages etc etc.
I've just seen a tyre called Insa Turbo Ranger (235/65/R17) Are these tyres any good?
My offroading, as mentioned before, consists of dirt/gravel tracks on the farm, and the occasional mucky field. Most of my driving (80%) is on road.
Would these tyres be suitable for my needs?

Thanks
Steve.

Post #84137 13th Dec 2010 9:34 pm
mattbridge

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I assume you have been on the main sites like mytyres etc? There are loads in this size on there and they have goodyear wrangler ATs in which are a top tyre for what u want The missus - SD4 HSE - Black - 2012
Me - BMW 330d Saloon - Black - 2011

Post #84138 13th Dec 2010 9:41 pm
valleyboy

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black
My tyre saga

Well, after all the hassle of trying to get two back tyres for my vehicle, and being told by most dealers within a 40 mile radius, that 'they are on back order', I finally managed to get two from blackcircles.com.
I bought General Grabber UHP's, and, although I realise that they may not be 'offroad' tyres, they should suit my needs. As mentioned before, my offroading (while doing vermin control for farmers) consists of dirt/gravel tracks and 'not so muddy' fields.
I'm hoping that I've made a good choice, and will not regret my actions!
Also, I hope that the tyres will be delivered on Thursday, as promised. I phoned them first, and they confirmed that the tyres were in stock.

Steve.

Post #84229 14th Dec 2010 5:31 pm
russben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

I have been looking at the Grabber UHP's for when I replace my Wranglers. Would you post again when you've had them fitted and used them a while? It will also be interesting to see how they perform in the snow that is forecast.
My driving is 95% on road and the Grabber UHP's are supposed to be quieter than A/T's, so that would suit me. Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Gone - 2008 Freel2 HSE Santorini Black
Hello - 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black

Post #84301 15th Dec 2010 1:11 pm
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand

russben wrote:
I have been looking at the Grabber UHP's for when I replace my Wranglers. Would you post again when you've had them fitted and used them a while? It will also be interesting to see how they perform in the snow that is forecast.
My driving is 95% on road and the Grabber UHP's are supposed to be quieter than A/T's, so that would suit me.

I have UHP's on the front of mine and on wet grass/mud they struggle for grip, whereas the Wranglers don't. I wouldn't say they are quieter or noisier than the Wranglers but I am assuming they won't be as effective in the snow as the Wranglers were for me last year when we had a heavy dose of the stuff, I don't think the 'V' type pattern will work as well but I could be wrong?........the Wranglers were faultless in the snow for me, if I get my car done on the 22nd and then we get snow i'll soon find out if the UHP's are any good.

Post #84326 15th Dec 2010 6:13 pm
russben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Thanks for that. My wranglers still have a thousand miles or so left on them, so it'll be a couple of months until I change them, and they will all want changing as they are all wearing at the same rate.
Even in their worn state (3-4mm tread depth left) the Wranglers have been good in the snow, and didn't get stuck when I went for a play on quite a steep, grassy slope with 8 inches of snow.

Presumably the Grabber UHPs would be better in the wet due to the V shaped tread pattern? Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Gone - 2008 Freel2 HSE Santorini Black
Hello - 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black

Post #85575 27th Dec 2010 5:45 pm
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand

russben wrote:
Thanks for that. My wranglers still have a thousand miles or so left on them, so it'll be a couple of months until I change them, and they will all want changing as they are all wearing at the same rate.
Even in their worn state (3-4mm tread depth left) the Wranglers have been good in the snow, and didn't get stuck when I went for a play on quite a steep, grassy slope with 8 inches of snow.

Presumably the Grabber UHPs would be better in the wet due to the V shaped tread pattern?

I find in the wet/dry both tyres seem about the same. Noise wise very similar but when I replace the UHP's it will be with the slightly dearer Wranglers. They just add confidence on muddy ground and I know they work really well on snow too whereas i'm unsure about the General's as yet but the lack of grip on the field put me off a little. The new Freelander I had as a loan car had Pirelli Scorpions fitted and that was a very quiet ride, haven't a clue about snow/wet/mud performance though?

Post #85591 27th Dec 2010 8:05 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Have a look at the new General Grabber AT's before you decide.
Thats if you can source any I have to wait till the end of Jan for minr to arrive,
but fortunately have 2 sets of wheels which are still legal.

Bill T. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #85628 28th Dec 2010 12:46 pm
Reeventu

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

There is much discussion regarding tyres but it seems that the OE tyre Pirelli Scorpion Zero never gets replaced with another.

Is this due to price , life or are they just no good?

What about the other variants of Pirelli.

I appreciate the merits of winter tyres but that is not more than 3/4 months of the year , and even then temp is often above 7 deg.

So why for mainly road driving do you need ( or do you ) some of these other tyre , Vredestein, Grabber etc etc.

Post #88993 21st Jan 2011 4:54 pm
LRFTW

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Baltic Blue

Cannot speak for the Freelander 2 but on the disco 3 the OE Scorpions lastest me 18k miles and I replaced with BF Goodrich ATs, which were similar cost (maybe £20 more) BUT lastest 41k miles and did not impact the MPG

Post #88994 21st Jan 2011 5:03 pm
Reeventu

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

So is it just a tyre wear issue or are there other reasons not to use the scorpion zero, bearing in mind I would not be seriously off road.

Also what exactly is an all weather tyre, I know a summer tyre , a winter tyre for 7 deg and below but is different if anything , for the designation ' all weather '

Post #89344 23rd Jan 2011 10:38 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1