« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Freelander 2: The King
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Freelander 2: The King

I was just thinking about the FL2 compared to its direct rivals and those weird crossover things.

We all know about various niggles with the FL2 and I knew before I purchased but it didn't stop me. The FL2 is more expensive but for me, worth every penny.

I have read various other owners forums, e.g VW Tiguan, BMW X3, Nissan X-Trail and no matter how much they boast about their cars good points, they are all second fiddle.

Clearly we are biased but when all things are considered, there is no better compact 4x4. Forget BMW having a prestige badge, in the 4x4 world the only 'real' badge is Land Rover. It has fantastic on road manners and creature comforts but will go much further off road or in heavy snow etc. If I ever park up next to a rival 4x4 in a car park, I always feel special, like the FL2 is just in a different league.

I just felt the need to sing the praises of the FL2. No matter whether you have an 'S' or an SD4 HSE or anything in between, a manual or an auto, whatever the colour, age or mileage, we all own a truly great car. Our rivals can pretend all they like, they can rely on the odd magazine review victory if they like, but they are just the pretenders.

The throne is and always will be ours.

GIVE IT UP FOR THE KING: THE FREELANDER 2 Bow down

P.S, a message for rival owners reading this: Didn't anyone ever tell you there's one 4x4 you never challenge off road, if you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one 4x4 you never ever challenge off road..... The Freelander 2! LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #83879 11th Dec 2010 12:34 am
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Ay up Doc!
Great post and i can't agree more. Even my 16 year old son loves our FL2. Is that cool or what?
I'm not going to knock rival 4x4's; i don't need to. You're quite right in that if i owned, lets say another 'premium brand' 4x4, i'd consider anyone with a FL2 with innermost jealously.
But i've got a FL2.
Smug, happy and even a cool Dad. And made in the UK (it very much matters to me)
I couldn't wish for anything else in a motor.
Except maybe the Mulsanne. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #83883 11th Dec 2010 12:59 am
athelstan

Doc
What did you put in your bedtime Horlicks last night - whatever "happy juice" it was you should sell it to LR to help promote sales.

But seriously, the other week at the hospital I came across a German weekly motoring magazine (whose title I cannot recall but it was a November issue) that carried a long term review (2yrs) of their staff diesel Tiguan. Not happy reading if you were a VW fan. Lots of faults reported, running costs were higher than expected, depreciation higher than forecast, and it dumped their reporters twice on the side of the road unable to be fixed and requiring low-loader to nearest dealership. Their conclusion was that VW need to review their QA on the Tiguan.

So when you read FL2 reports about poor build etc., just remember - no manufacturer is perfect.

Post #83915 11th Dec 2010 10:09 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

But most 4x4 FL2 owners never drive it off-road Shocked so whats the point of using that function as a comparism to its rivals Question

All the competitors in the same 4x4's catagory are just as capable as the FL2 on asphalt and many are less expensive to boot. I think what The Doctor is talking here about is status. A Land Rover has more status - too whom I wonder Question . If that is realy important to you it seems a rather pointless point of view Confused . Dont get me wrong, our FL2 is the best vehicle we have ever owned, love it and hope never to part with it Thumbs Up . However to get the most out of what it was designed for you have to get it a bit muddy occasionally Shocked , drive it well away from the urban asphalt on some rough and bumpy mountain track, then you will have all right to call it the king Very Happy - that is where the FL2 beats Censored out the likes of X-BMW and Q-Audi poof's Thumbs Up .

Get ya rubber's dirty guys - then tell us about it Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #83946 11th Dec 2010 5:01 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Doc, if you ever think of running for Parliament/Prime Minister....You've got my vote Bow down

Post #83951 11th Dec 2010 5:34 pm
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Got stuck in a pub car-park the other day. Literally jammed in, couldn't reverse or shunt my way out as the other eejits had parked badly. 2 foot grass bank in front of me leading to the main road...

If you've got it, flaunt it. Great vehicle. Bow down

(and yes, I get it very muddy, very often). Thumbs Up We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #83953 11th Dec 2010 5:48 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I know what you are getting at Andy C but I have taken mine off road once (nothing like the LR course) and plan to do so again but it is in deep snow which proves the worth of the FL2. All things equal on the tyre front the FL2 will get through deeper snow than x-trail etc.

Besides all that, I always think that Clarkson made a valid point when he spoke about his wrist watch. He said that it was waterproof to 1000 metres but he will never ever dive that deep but it's nice to know it's ok if he drops it in the sink.

The FL2 may never be put through the extremes it can cope with by its owners but its nice to know we are the best there is if the occasion ever occurs or the weather gets extreme. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #83968 11th Dec 2010 6:42 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

Well I have been lurking here for a while, with a view to 'splashing the cash' sometime soon, and am VERY torn between the FL2 and the new X3. Although I currently drive a BMW, I have owned a RR classic and swmbo currently has a FL1. As such, I have some experience of both main dealers and their products etc. I look forward to magazine comparison road tests between the 2 vehicles, hopefully sometime soon !!

Post #83977 11th Dec 2010 8:42 pm
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Forget the X3 mate, FL2 all day long. Thumbs Up We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #83979 11th Dec 2010 8:53 pm
ad210358

England 

Pedro wrote:
Well I have been lurking here for a while, with a view to 'splashing the cash' sometime soon, and am VERY torn between the FL2 and the new X3. Although I currently drive a BMW, I have owned a RR classic and swmbo currently has a FL1. As such, I have some experience of both main dealers and their products etc. I look forward to magazine comparison road tests between the 2 vehicles, hopefully sometime soon !!

ok, you have experianced both dealers and their prducts but you can't compare the FL1 with the FL2 very different in all respects.

Post #83980 11th Dec 2010 8:59 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

I'd go for a Freelander 2 over any BMW.

Owned both a BMW 3 Series and a MINI and both spent more time in the dealers than any of my Land Rovers (Discovery TD5, Discovery II, Freelander 2 SE and now a Freelander 2 XS)

Post #83981 11th Dec 2010 9:01 pm
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

I have been occasionally going to some offroad tours. I must say thet fl2 manages very good with stock 19" tyres against all those monsterly modified stuff. We go together with modified disco 1 and 2, nissan patrols or toyota hilux.

Friends we go with were sceptic about an suv driving with them at the beginning, especcially about 19" rims and offroading, but fl2 gained respect from all of them. Although I am having on road problems with the car, offroad performance is very good. And driving back on the highway or back in the city with all the mud on it is priceless. 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #83998 11th Dec 2010 11:08 pm
1STFREELANDER

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I love my freelander but I think LR missed a trick in not updating it more when they released the recent updates. Most people would be very hard pressed to know the difference, I was looking forward to a more modern interior, perhaps similar to the disco4 or Evoque. I can't help feeling they have ignored the FL2 until it is replaced by an all new model. The trouble is the competition have not stood still and all have better warranty and servicing costs.
At least the engine mods have made it more competitive. For me driving the freelander gives me a feeling of confidence that whatever I meet I will be able to deal with it, a bit like the 1000mtr watch, most likely never going to need it, just nice to know it's there. My biggest complaint is the lack of proper seat adjustment, somthing that would have cost penny's to fit, but is left off for marketing reasons, unless you buy the HSE.

Post #84002 11th Dec 2010 11:37 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I dont think the Frelander2 as we know it will be replaced/updated Shocked

Or rather it already has been replaced in the form of the Evoke models.

You must think a bit further ahead than just the UK when it comes to LR sales, and the Freelander just will not sell in a year or two, and as an export vehicle it is already a dying model Sad 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #84060 12th Dec 2010 4:56 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Always look on the bright side! Rolling Eyes

Post #84061 12th Dec 2010 5:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>