Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Cold Starting Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 18 <123 ... 161718>
Print this entire topic · 
adrian_fl2

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tonga Green

The TD4 engine is a PSA engine, that both Ford and Land Rover use. So the Mondeo may well use a version of it (e.g. the 2.2) but I don't think anyone has a twin-turbo implentation of said engine?

Saab's twin-turbo (TTiD) is a Fiat engine and BMW's is BMW's. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE auto Tonga Green/Alpaca

Post #31945 26th Nov 2008 8:54 pm
mburton2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Yes, the Same Td4 is also used in the Mondeo (But a 2.0ltr version, Commmonly called a ...DW10, the LR use the slighty larger 2.2Ltr, the DW12)

It only has one Turbo, but its a clever VGT-type (But I think "VGT" is trade-marked by Alfa or someone....VGT = Variable Geometry Turbo) ie, at low Revs, it acts like a little turbo, as the revs increase, the vanes inside adjust, and start acting like a bigger turbo.....two turbo's in one! '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #31950 26th Nov 2008 9:18 pm
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

A German car magazine wrote that the engine is made by Peugeot which is used in many brands (if I remember well they wrote something about 8 brands). It's one of the best Diesel engines. Peugeot does use the twin turbo version. But Freelander 2 only has one turbo the rest is used to have the torque the Freel has.

Post #32646 6th Dec 2008 9:11 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

Well, now I have tried to start after aprox -20C during the night. The car looked really frozen. Ice all over the car. Here is the manual how to start a frozen FL2. As follows:

1: Push in the brake-pedal, and lock your foot there.
2: Push the start-button.
3: Sit back and relax, and be sure your foot is holding the brake-pedal in.
4: After 5-10 seconds message in display appears that system-check is in progress.
5: After another 5-10 seconds message appears that engine will start after glowing-period.
6: After another 5-10 seconds the car actually starts.

It takes somewhere between 15-30 seconds after you have pushed the start-button. I called LR to ask if this was right, and they said it was. Well, the car started every time, -I just had to be patient.

This was very different from my previous car, a Chrysler Voyager (R.I.P.), which started immediately when turning the key. Every time, -no matter how cold it was. So I was a little spoilt there.

So everyone, just follow the above manual, and the car should start. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #33034 15th Dec 2008 2:07 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I have noticed that I get a slight delay (about 2 to 3 seconds) when attempting a start in cold weather (-4 degrees - i know thats not cold to some but it is to me!!) Just assume its similar to a normal diesel where you have to wait a couple of seconds for the glowplug thingy light to go out before you turn the key all the waY!

Post #33042 15th Dec 2008 3:29 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

waY! Shocked is that how you talk in brummie? Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #33051 15th Dec 2008 5:51 pm
sammythedog

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Orkney Grey

Having read and posted on the cold weather thread that is currently running re starting issues I'm now puzzled.
Can someone confirm if there should be a delay after pressing the start button (in cold weather conditions) for the glowplugs to do their work.
My glowplug light goes out straight away after pressing the start button while the engine cranks a few times and eventualy fires up.
Having read here about delays of up to 30 seconds for the glowplugs to do their work I'm wondering if I have a problem.
I get the feeling that if the glowplugs were on for a bit longer the engine would fire up first crank.
Is the glowplug "on" time adjustable?

Post #34152 6th Jan 2009 7:52 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

it should, if the weathers cold enough, (But i don't know how cold) be a standard start procedure, but with a pause between the actual press of the start button and the cranking over of the engine.

There is sometimes a short pause, with NO glowplug light, normally a systems check

But if there is a long pause the glowplug light should be ON Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #34154 6th Jan 2009 8:13 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

Having left the car outside overnight, temperatures down to a couple of minus-degrees Celcius wont delay the start of the car. It starts right away. Say the temperatures overnight were -5C to -10C, it could take 3-5 seconds before it starts. Leaving outside in those temperatures for 2 or 3 days, starting may be delayed a little bit longer.

I left my car outside for a couple of days up in the mountains, and the temperatures were between -15C to -20C. I didn't clock how long it took. Maybee 15 to 20 seconds. The display informed me all the way of the procedure, and where we were in the procedure.
Started in morning, and when I restarted the car in the evening, it started immediately. Temperature was the same throughout the day.

So overnight, and not having been started for some days, delays the start a bit. The colder, the more delay. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #34159 6th Jan 2009 9:10 pm
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

yeah - mine works the same as Vikings' Thumbs Up

However, I do sometimes get the error message regarding hill descent control - during the other messages concerning the glowplugs and system checks - so there is a software bug in there somewhere.

Mine has to be at about -10, before all the warning messages and dashboard symbols work.

At around -2, there is just a minor delay before the engine cranks - but no warnings or symbols are shown.

At about -5, the glowplug symbol shows and the cranking delay is longer.

At about -10, the glowplug symbol shows, the cranking delay is even longer, and a variety of warning / information messages are shown Thumbs Up

Post #34193 7th Jan 2009 8:00 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Same here as Jimmy and Viking - but I dont worry about all the warnings as it always starts, even if it takes a few seconds to crank Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #34195 7th Jan 2009 9:04 am
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

agree - I'm not bothered either as long as is starts Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #34199 7th Jan 2009 10:38 am
bjartin

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I have never seen a glowplug light, and never had a delay in start of my engine. (As I can remember Wink ). LR Freelander2 2,2 Td4 HSE manuel Stornaway Grey (Metallic) & Ebony Black Leather & Sun/Moon-roof & Bi-Xenon & Roof Rails & Tow bar & Body side rubbing strips & Cold climate pack & Privacy glass & NavTeq . Production Date: 11/5-2007 in Halewood.

Sorry, but I have changed to Defender 90 ", and I love my" tractor ".
http://www.youtube.com/bjartin

Post #34212 7th Jan 2009 5:28 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

bjartin wrote:
I have never seen a glowplug light, and never had a delay in start of my engine. (As I can remember Wink ).

Watch the instrument panel (not the windscreen) in minus 5 starting and you will see it Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #34214 7th Jan 2009 6:24 pm
sammythedog

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Orkney Grey

Cheers guy's, sounds as though it's got to be pretty cold before the glowplug delay kicks in.
Like you say as long as it starts that's all that matters really!
FL2 is into the dealers in a few days for the PTC heater recall work to be done so I'll see what they have to say about it.

Post #34215 7th Jan 2009 6:33 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 18 <123 ... 161718>