« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Front Suspension problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Netwisdom

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue
Front Suspension problems

Done just over 4K miles, none of it off-road, so I'm a little amazed and somewhat concerned at this issue with what should be a pretty rugged vehicle....

Was on the way back from a supermarket run last Thursday and I could feel and hear a knocking sound from my pride and joy. Difficult to place it at first but seemed to be coming from the front and was related to bumps in the road.

Got home and physically rocked the car from side to side - it was clear that there was a knocking from the front left wheel area. Had the missus rock the car (another story Wink) while I had a look underneath and could clearly see 5mm of movement on a bolt/rod (see pic)...Not Good!!

Called the dealer who couldn't collect the car until today. They returned it this evening and said that they had found a problem, tightened things up a bit so its driveable but that the car would need to go back to them for a couple of days at the end of the week so they could fix the issue properly. The knocking is still there when I rock the car though.

Anyone else had anything similar?

[/img]

Post #5159 6th Aug 2007 8:29 pm
qzx372

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Today, I have experienced a similar noise front left side. Howerver, I can't feel movement in the joint you highlighted. Seems to be worse in the straight ahead position - applying force by turning the steering wheel reduces or eliminates the noise.

My car has completed just over 4000 miles.

Did they replace the link arm on your car?

I will book my car in for an inspection asap.

Post #5696 22nd Aug 2007 6:51 pm
Netwisdom

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

I've had a right nightmare.

Car was collected by the dealer and brought back later the same day with the statement "we've tightend things up a bit so its driveable, but we will need it back in for a couple of days for further work".

Knocking and movement was still there.

When it went back they said they thought there was a transmission fault, then they conducted 'sound tests' and said the gearbox had a manufacturing defect and would need to be replacing and said they had ordered one from LR.

Alarm bells start ringing for me, so I push them on the suspension issue it originally went in for - they couldn't confirm that they had found or fixed the suspension issue so I ended up sending them the above photo.

Two days later they confirmed that they had fixed the suspension issue but that the gearbox was still goosed and would be replaced. On the day the new gearbox was supposed to arrive I get a call saying that the gearbox wasn't knackered after all and that they think it was the loose suspension arm after all !!

Car seems fine now and looks like they have just tightened the coupling up rather than replaced anything but I now have zero faith in the dealers ability to maintain or repair the car.

Post #5699 22nd Aug 2007 9:55 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Netwisdom wrote:

Car seems fine now and looks like they have just tightened the coupling up rather than replaced anything but I now have zero faith in the dealers ability to maintain or repair the car.

If there's another dealer locally then it may be worth giving them a try, but I would say don't give up on your dealer just yet for a couple of reasons.

Human nature makes many technicians/mechanics/engineers (Call them what you want) dive in at the deep end instead of starting with the basics and following through from there. Even the best of us can overlook things sometimes.

The FL2 has not been out for that long as far as I can see apart from having known issues i.e. leaks, software updates and sunroof issues there have not been too many issues, which means the technicians are yet to gain real troubleshooting experience on the FL2.....which on one hand is good and on the other bad.....

Post #5705 23rd Aug 2007 8:02 am
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I have the exact same problem on my car, started to become evident last week. Got underneath at the weekend and traced to the same joint on the offside. Netwisdoms experience with a dealer that can't tell an antiroll form a gearbox is pretty frightening.

I fully intend to take the car to the dealer and point out the offending joint to the technician in person.

Post #7693 1st Oct 2007 4:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1