« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Engine Cranks But Car Wont Start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ribama1

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Engine Cranks But Car Wont Start

About a month ago I posted a message about the FL2 not cranking and not starting. No matter how unlikely I wondered if the engine was seized because everything else seemed to be working fine.My lesson learned was: use load tester on the battery! it was new and tested to 12.6v but it was still Censored . So Censored , even a jump start through it wouldn't turn the engine.
One month later and I have a different starting problem. The engine cranks beautifully, now with a new battery, but it wont start.
I had it towed home yesterday. This morning it started fine, but I only drove 50 meters and the engine stalled and wouldn't restart.
I have seen many posts on here and elsewhere about this sort of "crank no start" problem. People suggest potential reasons including the high pressure fuel pump, fuel filter or the throttle body shut closed or a fuse that is responsible for the fuel delivery system (obviously when it is intermittent it is not going to be a fuse) and even glow plugs. The crank sensor or wiring to the crank sensor is also mentioned.
If your car has not been running rough up until the problem occurring or the cutouts are intermittent I think it is worth starting with the crank sensor. As the car is turning over and trying to start, look at the revs if there are no revs showing it is almost certainly because the crank sensor, or wiring to it, is faulty. If the computer does not know the engine is turning over it will not deliver fuel. The other reason to check this first is because it is such a cheap easy fix. Just take off the RHS wheel and plastic wheel arch cover and its right there (one bolt holding it in). And Beavis Pits has put together a brilliant video explaining the process which is here. &t=1427s

Anyway my wiring seems fine, so I have ordered a new sensor and will let you know if it doesn't fix the problem.

Post #408440 30th May 2021 5:22 am
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I put in a new sensor that proved to be a duff one. Don't know what the percentage of sensors are faulty but they are out there.

In an ideal world the sensor should be tested using a scope or else fitting a known good sensor will show if there is a problem.

Post #408458 31st May 2021 10:16 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1