« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > FL2 vs Subaru Legacy Outback
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
FL2 vs Subaru Legacy Outback

My neighbour shouted me yesterday and told me that his brother had his first snow test for his legacy outback and said it was awesome. He even claims that it would defeat the FL2 in the snow!

Don't get me wrong, the subaru is great and my dad had one years back and it never got stuck in snow.

All things equal on the tyre front though (i.e just all weather tyres) surely the subaru must lose because of the lack of ground clearance for deeper snow and the technological superiority of the FL2 e.g terrain response and HDC.

Of course I told him to arrange a mental health assessment for his brother Laughing but how do you guys rate the subaru?

Or for that matter other 4WD cars like Audi Quattros? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #83269 6th Dec 2010 9:09 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

I had a 2008 Subaru Legacy Diesel Estate up to 6 months ago and have very recent *ahem* "work-related" FL2 experience so am probably well placed to judge... Very Happy

Subaru's are very good. Just slightly devoid of character (The new Boxer diesel is mildly amusing, just a tiny bit slow) and less-prone to garage visits than FL2 Rolling Eyes .

Outback is essentially a normal Leggy estate with more ground clearance, a high+low range box (something not fitted to FL2) and all weather tyres. New Forester is Sheep they ruined it! Banging Head

My Dad has an old gen Forester (c.2000) it's essentially a short wheelbase Leggy on stilts and more usable off-road than the Outback. Forester is very good for something so road biased that isn't not blessed with LR-style ground clearance and is a fantastic compromise - fuel consumption isn't horrific either - about 30MPG for a 2.0 petrol. Last weekend he managed to extract a Nissan Navarra/L200-thingy out of a muddy field! Laughing

Anyway enough Subaru praise on an FL2 topic... Back to the original question though, as for FL2 vs Subaru Outback? No contest - even my Dad's looking for an FL2 to replace the Forester as his retirement car! Thumbs Up

Post #83276 6th Dec 2010 10:15 pm
Oldie

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

The Outback is a fantastic car. Bought my last one just over 4 years ago but my sister insisted upon nicking it from me after only 10 months..lol. It was at least as good as my current FL2, and previous Disco, in snow, ice, mud, whatever. Never had a problem with ground clearance (although it was never taken properly off-road).

I got a call from my sister yesterday afternoon during the "Great Scottish Disaster" to say that she was the only vehicle in her vicinity to get anywhere, particularly on hills. The roads yesterday were the worst that I have seen in 30 years of driving and I knew that the Subaru would cope. Mind you, I didn't have a problem myself yesterday in the FL2 - it's been faultless in the snow and ice this winter Smile

I only got the FL2, instead of another Outback, because I just fancied what was a new model at the time Smile

Post #83314 7th Dec 2010 9:29 am
twodogs

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I had a 07 reg 3.ltr Outback and it was an excellent car in every way.

The plastic inside the car was a bit cheap and nasty and it was expensive
to insure and service. I will not talk about the MPG I got from it Rolling with laughter

I traded it in the summer of 2009 for an RS6 Avant Rolling Eyes

I jumped from the pan into the fire !!!!!!

Post #83332 7th Dec 2010 1:03 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

I had a 3 litre Outback before the fl2. Nice car but no contest, the fl2 could pick it up and carry it. The Outback was a pussy off road and used more fuel. I took the Outback to several off road areas and it got stuck in places the fl2 has absolutely no trouble with. I got sick of limping out the 'ladies' exit. Just my experience with it. Mike

Post #83495 8th Dec 2010 12:26 pm
Liberty555

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yes... I had a Auto Outback 3ltr here in Oz My wife wrote it off before we got the Freelander 2.

It was a lovely car, great on road and fun on the beach, but show it a mild incline and its Game Over. I took it on some gravel tracks, and anything more than 15 degrees and forget it.

The Outback also had very little torque down low and then a rush once the revs picked up. Not ideal for off road.

I'd pick the Freelander any day.

Post #83765 10th Dec 2010 6:55 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1