« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Standard Freelander tyres - winter performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
IanB9

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

agroman wrote:
Looking forward to seeing how the yokohama ATS fair in the snow / ice, compared to the General Grabber At's I had on my old FL2 last winter. The square blocky tread looks like it might be well suited to snow?

I'll tell you after tomorrow, the local forcast is saying snow tonight and tomorrow in East Cornwall and West Devon, I,m going to yeovil AM and back to Kernow PM, so might make a detour over Dartmoor for fun!

Have shovel and rope - to help others!! Very Happy

Sorry to report that the Yoko ATSs on my car will be heading to the bin this coming week having lasted for a very poor 15k miles and being very slidy in the past few days snow.

The original Contis lasted 30k+, and worked well in last winter's snow, despite having not much tread left.

I've had Goodyear Wranglers on prevous cars, and they worked well, so I may opt for those this time, then they'll match the spare.

Post #81969 27th Nov 2010 10:02 am
Nigel

I have Continentals as fitted when new and have been amazed at how well they have performed in the severe conditions we have experienced on the east coast of Scotland in the past few days. This has been my first winter with a Freelander and I have been impressed with the vehicle's capabilities in the snow (and often in the deep snow). Thumbs Up

Post #82227 29th Nov 2010 8:02 pm
MG1

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Sounds like most people are happy with the standard tyres... clearly I chose a good time to ask, just wish my FL had arrived so I could go looking for some snow!

Has anyone felt the need to buy the Land Rover snow traction system (http://assets.config.landrover.com/v1ijc/l...005169.jpg) or a set of snow chains? Was wondering if they would be worthwhile in this country for the more extreme conditions.

Thanks

MG1

Post #82250 29th Nov 2010 9:23 pm
kenny

United Kingdom 2008 LR2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Before the early snow caught me napping I was going to fit some winter tyres. However having now driven through some horrendous snow and ice conditions for the last few days on the standard Goodyear Wrangler AW I have decided not to bother.

The tyres have been superb traction wise - even towed a neighbours car 100 yds out of a snow drift from a standstill in deep snow. Rescued my missus from a snowbound work and passed miles of standing traffic waiting for 'ordinary' cars and lorries stuck on hills etc.

I even had a play on some steep local hills and it just stormed up no worries.

This vehicle just came into its own and is being eyed jealously by everyone else struggling

Post #82462 1st Dec 2010 3:01 pm
Junior

England 

MG1 wrote:
Has anyone felt the need to buy the Land Rover snow traction system (http://assets.config.landrover.com/v1ijc/l...005169.jpg) or a set of snow chains? Was wondering if they would be worthwhile in this country for the more extreme conditions.
MG1

Very Expensive at £400+ (might be worth it if you live in the alps but not Blackpool)
I have bought a cheeper alternitive (£96) Just in case the need arises
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Michelin-Easy-Grip...B0046S6240

Post #82490 1st Dec 2010 6:46 pm
Junior

England 

MG1 wrote:
MG1

Very Expensive at £400+ (might be worth it if you live in the alps but not Blackpool)
I have bought a cheeper alternitive (£96) Just in case the need arises
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Michelin-Easy-Grip...B0046S6240

Post #82493 1st Dec 2010 6:48 pm
Kershaw 39

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Orkney Grey

Ive just look at the amazon link ....... this could be a daft question but do you get 1 or 4?

Post #82506 1st Dec 2010 7:29 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Kershaw 39 wrote:
Ive just look at the amazon link ....... this could be a daft question but do you get 1 or 4?
Check the other current post on chains. What you can fit depends on wheel size. I understand they should only be fitted to the front wheels.

Post #82563 1st Dec 2010 11:56 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic7320.html

Post #82564 1st Dec 2010 11:57 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

he means for the money I mean not how many to fit. only one I think? its very vague At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #82577 2nd Dec 2010 9:30 am
SPNRACING

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Our 2010MY HSE came with Pirelli Scorpion Zeros, all-season tyres designed for 4X4s and SUVs.

In the snow around Surrey this week they have been faultless, no need for separate winter tyres. 2010 HSE Auto in Santorini Black/almond with xenons and privacy glass.

Post #82623 2nd Dec 2010 4:31 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I'll just repeat what I said last year when the snow arrived and we had the same threads appearing:
My summer tyres are the original Wranglers. I swap them for wheels with Conti Contacts in winter and there's a noticeable improvement in control in snow and ice.

Last edited by AndyT on 2nd Dec 2010 10:08 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #82649 2nd Dec 2010 6:17 pm
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Past master wrote:
Kershaw 39 wrote:
Check the other current post on chains. What you can fit depends on wheel size. I understand they should only be fitted to the front wheels.

And if you read the latest LR2 owners book it says for 16" wheels only.....

I have just moved from an almost 3 year old GS with 24k miles Wranglers to a brand new MY11 GS both manual. The big difference I reckon in the age of the tyres. The new car although having the same tyres is more sure footed. tread depth on the old was between 5-6 mm

On the same note i have just fitted some Marshal KW15 winter tyres to my wifes C3. They are a 'budget' tyre but fully snowflake marked. She came straight home last night - six inches of snow and no drama (her or the car) She is quite happy to drive this instead of the Freely now....... Hurrah best £116 I've spent for a while.

Anyone else got any opionions on whether the newness of the rubber counts??? There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #82663 2nd Dec 2010 8:44 pm
mattbridge

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

After last winter i would have said the Pirelli Scorpion Zeros we got on ours from the factory were fine, that said, this year with 4mm tread they were rubbish with little traction on packed snow and felt very insecure. Fitted some Verdestien wintracks this year and the difference is massive. I appreciate most tyres are "fine" "ok" etc and I was not convinced myself about winter tyres until now.
Last week we drove past a Shogun and a RRS both of which were struggling on whatever standard tyres they were using, RRS was laughable.

This is an interesting link, ok not the same cars but still .....  The missus - SD4 HSE - Black - 2012
Me - BMW 330d Saloon - Black - 2011

Post #84066 12th Dec 2010 6:03 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

I left mine at Doncaster airport from 25th November for a week. Eventually got a flight back to Birmingham as Doncaster was closed, when we got to the airport the car was under 26 inches of snow , I managed to dig in to the drivers door, cleared a space around the exhaust, started her up, no problem at -18 degreesC and drove it straight out of a 2 foot drift of snow, cleared the screen , couldnt get the roof or bonnet clear as the snow had frozen, and just drove straight out of a carpark with well over a foot of snow on it, all on standard 17 inch goodyear M+S tyres with 25000 miles on them.

Post #84083 12th Dec 2010 10:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>