Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > North America > Our Land Rover 2 Experience - Part 1.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
looney_loey

United States 
Our Land Rover 2 Experience - Part 1.

My wife and I decided to hit the coastal towns of California instead of heading to Vegas.

We agreed that we'll use much of the side roads and passes like the CA-150 and San Marcos Pass Road.

(You can google map this and drag to see the route: Start From SANTA CLARITA, CA to CA-126W -> CA-150 -> CA-101 -> CA-154 -> CA-101N -> CA-1 -> Hearst Castle, San Simeon) (Make sure your on hybrid view to appreciate better Very Happy)

We avoided the much twisty CA-33 & CA-166 as my wife is getting dizzy already after a few winding roads.

We Avoided the CA-192 too and used CA-101 to see the shoreline.

*Note: Quotes are from LR Engineers from LR USA Website/Videos

Quote:
...Smarter Headlights, See around the bend with lights that turn in sync with the steering.

- Bright..too bright??? I Noticed on the motorway/freeway whenever I'm behind a small car/sedan they move-out of the way.. one incident happened a guy threw what seems to be a large cup of soda from his window when I followed him for a couple of miles. Got "the dirty finger!" from annoyed drivers a couple of times. So I experimented and told my wife to drive our LR2 behind me driving our coupe and true enough I think it's kinda annoying if being followed for a long period of time. Wonder if dealer can fix this? Anyways, manouvering the narrow 2 way lanes of CA-150 & 154-San Marcos Pass Road at night was like being on it shortly after dawn light as every corner was bright enough that I don't need to use my fog-lights. It illuminates the road far enough to see ahead of possible animals crossing and avoid road kills. Overall, I was pleased to have the lighting package in our LR2. Wink

Quote:
...truly the LR2 is prepared for whatever comes its way. Braking System and Roll Stability Control [RSC] ...RSC continuously monitors vehicle movement to immediately detect, then just as immediately counteract, an impending rollover.

Quote:
...Emergency Brake Assist [EBA] senses urgent braking, then applies full pressure to stop sooner.

Quote:
...Cornering Brake Control [CBC] keeps the LR2 stable when braking hard in a curve.

Quote:
...[EBD] Electronic Breakforce Distribution tracks front/rear loading and optimally applies brakes.

- As some of the curves are bank/sloped/inclined/angled either upward/downward, I was able to notice how RSC / EBA / CBC / EBD reacts to every corner I tackle, making an almost 180 hairpin feels like just an ordinary corner. Speeding up and then braking hard in a curve seems like a piece of cake. Late braking was one of my specialty that I learned in circuit or should I say bad habit in driving as my wife says and she hated that most, but I was able to convince her on how our LR2 was able to cope up with my driving sytle as the LR2's braking system assisted me most of the time. Plus, on some occassion I did some engine breaking. I can say that LR2's RSC/EBA/CBC/EBD WXY and Z are not just alphabets but a whole lot of system working to reward it's driver a much comfortable drive.

Quote:
...while the torque-filled 3.2-litre inline 6, CommandShift manual mode or sports mode for more spirited driving and ventilated disc brakes futher empower you.

Quote:
...With an astounding 80% of the LR2's torque delivered across most of the rev range, you'll have always have more than ample power in reserve. In other words,tons of acceleration when you need it.

- During the trip, Most of the time I was in Sports Mode and occasionally I engaged in Manual Mode whenever passing slow vehicles in front. I read reviews about LR2 saying it doesn't have that much power/acceleration. 0-60 was a slow 8.7 seconds. One review even said "goodluck on the passing side". Well, all I can say is "it depends upon the driver" Whistle sometimes and oftentimes it's the driver not the car, i'm not saying i'm a good or better driver than those people making a living out of testing cars. I know LR2 is a heavier SUV/4x4 compared to it's rival but I often find myself skeptical about the way they test cars. Like how do they measure a cars passing ability? example: trying to accelerate and pass another car on a straight running 70-80miles common, be realistic enough that what you have is a heavier car and it is nearly impossible already to assume you can do and pass a car on that speed with your chunky vehicle.
- On our entire trip, I think I was able to pass 4-5 vehicles excluding a group of motorcyclist. Instinct told me that if a vehicle is running 30-40MPH on a 55PMH hi-way I can do it, and so did I!!! my LR passed it like a stationary light post. On one occassion, I was able to pass a family van while i'm on auto. So whoever said that our LR2 can't handle passing very well, they are mistaken "Wrongfully Mistaken" Whistle

Quote:
...A Sporty, agile Land Rover

- I totally agree!!! on one sector of the route a BMW328i passed me and looked at me as if saying "move over you big piece of pumpkin" I said to myself ok, He can't speed up anyway as the limit is set to 55MPH and what happened next was the most trilling chase i've ever done with an SUV. I guess the guy had a trilling ride too as I was on his tail on every curve like a big giant pumpkin monster about to munch him. Upon reaching a four lane highway he slowed down moved over to my side and did a thumbs up sign and I gave him a bragging nod as if saying "who you callin' giant pumpkin?" Thumbs Up

logged 1600 Miles and no problems yet!

Next Stop, Part 2 - Pismo Oceano Dunes! Very Happy Do Not Follow Me...You Can't Go Where I Go!!!

.....up in the tree!!!

Post #4989 1st Aug 2007 3:28 am
John-Boy

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Galway Green

Its good to hear that your Freelander is coming up to expectations and putting a smile on your face.

You have got some great countryside to drive through. My first trip to the States started from San Francisco down Highway 1, stopping at Hearst castle and then to Pismo Beach. It brought all those old Beach Boys surfing songs to life.

Our rental car was a 3.2 v6 Ford Thunderbird that didn't have enough power to 'pull the skin off a rice pudding', we had to switch off the A/C to get up some of the mountain roads. My 1.8 VW Golf at home would have left it in the dust.

The Aquarium in Monterey is a great place to visit!

Have a great trip.

Post #4990 1st Aug 2007 10:59 am
looney_loey

United States 

lol yup listening to the beach boys while cruising along the shoreline is fun! Laughing

my wife can't get enough of "Wouldn't it be nice" Rolling with laughter

we do went to Hearst Castle too and went back and stayed in Pismo Beach but I didn't find the time to go to the sand dunes and test our LR2.

I really am planning to go to Monterey Bay soon, let say after I convince my wife to go to Carmel Valley / Quail Lodge which is near M.Bay and experience the "LR EXPERIENCE" Thumbs Up Do Not Follow Me...You Can't Go Where I Go!!!

.....up in the tree!!!

Post #5082 4th Aug 2007 4:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1