« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > 09MY Slipping clutch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chris B

United Kingdom 
09MY Slipping clutch

Noticed this yesterday while on the motorway just under 70 (~1900 rev/min) and using full torque to overtake; engine speed flared up faster than road speed and then held while the car "caught up". I could not reproduce it immediatley but afer a few muinutes it repeated. In fact I could get the revs to go up to 2300 and then down a bit if I backed off the throttle, while the car still accelerated.
Phoned Ripon LR from the car and took it in first thing this morning to demo to service supervisor. Same as yesterday, slipping at max torque speed but not instantly repeatable. He drove it too and confrimed some slip.
Booked in for gearbox out and new clutch week after next (warranty)

45,000 service 2 weeks ago. Between 30k and 45k I got 2 very quick episodes of clutch judder on fast accel 1-2 or 2-3 gear shifts. This was checked out at 45k service and no fault found. Connected or not?
As the slipping is not immediately reproducable, could it be oil seeping onto the clutch that takes a few minutes to buld up? Can't imagine that rate of leak from crank or gearbox going unnoticed. We'll find out in 10 days!

For info: Owned from new in June '08. Tow bar used for bike rack not towing. Mostly motorway miles. Not a lot of off-road crawling and I am aware of the clutch weakness in that respect so have always avoided slipping it myself. I have never been hard on clutches and brake pads are 30% worn front and 50% rear at 45k miles so I'm pretty gentle. Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #78442 15th Oct 2010 11:01 am
kevinholmes

Hi - there's a few threads on this forum about dealers refusing warranty claims for clutch slip (LR claim it's wear and tear). Was there any debate with your dealer about this? Please let us know how you get on.
Kevin

Post #78503 16th Oct 2010 9:52 am
Chris B

United Kingdom 

Car booked in yesterday and clutch kit ordered ready. When they showed me the list of parts they had got, I saw "slave cylnder" - was I too get a hydraulic clutch conversion into the bargain? Embarassed smiles at service reception!
They rang in the middle of the day yesterday to say the car would not be ready in the evening as it needed a flywheel too and that was not on the shelf.
Collected 5:15 today, all done, nice and clean. I'd already asked to see the old bits they took me into the parts area and showed me the flywheel already in a small crate; the clutch disc was not to be seen. Binned? I asked and they said LR would not want that back (or was it put on one side?) and I decided not to make an issue about the pressure plate if they did not want to show me.
The friction face of the flywheel looked fine to me, you could still see the machining marks in the steel although it was a touch blue in places. No oil but quite a lot of dust so maybe that had fouled up the self adjusting mechanism.
The flywheel was changed because of excess play "they can get like that sometimes" was the comment.
All cleared by LR warranty yesterday so we'll see how it goes. The bite feels a little different edging into the garage for the first time Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #79303 26th Oct 2010 6:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1