« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Delphi Brakes?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue
Delphi Brakes?

My brakes are going to need doing very soon. LR want £626 to do front and rear pads and discs. My local tyre place want £402 to do the same, but using Delphi brakes. I know they're a lot cheaper than the LR brakes. Anyone else had any experience with them??

I've worked out to change them myself suing LR parts, it will cost £255. Having done brakes before, it's not the most pleasant of jobs, so I'd rather get them done, but don't want to have to re-mortgage!! Thumbs Up Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #78096 11th Oct 2010 11:15 am
jimbojay

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

I have just had my rear pads changed, think LR wanted £190 to do the pads, I had them done by my local using delphi's for £60 no probs so far and seeing as the LR Original ones only lasted 2 years.....! Will see how i go! Set low standards and constantly fail to achieve them!!!!!!!!!!!
Sleep Deprivation Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #78219 12th Oct 2010 5:18 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I had my rear pads replaced on my old FL2 last year, done at the local Kwik Fit for £89 using genuine LR parts. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #78244 12th Oct 2010 8:58 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

While I think that if you are not confident in your ability to work on brakes you should pay a suitably experienced technician to do the work.
Why on earth would anyone pay £20-35k for a car and then not fit genuine brake parts?
LR have spent a lot of time and money getting the right brake compounds and disk material to work with the braking, steering, ABS, & traction control system.
What makes you think that any one else can do a better job?

Or maybe safety just isn't worth paying for Sad Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #78266 12th Oct 2010 11:07 pm
lmorris4975

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

Andy131 i have to disagree with you on "LR have spent a lot of time and money getting the right brake compounds and disk material to work with the braking, steering, ABS, & traction control system" LR dont make the pads, discs or any part of the braking system, like most car makers dont. I bet any money that the pads are made by mintex or ferodo and same goes for the discs and calipers. All LR will do is say we need this amount of braking force and it will have ABS etc and the brake company will do the rest. I have seen it many times before pads/discs made by someone else with the manufactors name put on and the price put up by 50%
I would not be surprised if on the LR pads/discs it does not say who made them, paying less does not always mean inferior quality.
Philish i have never heard of Delphi but mintex, ferodo and EBC but to name a few all make top grade after market parts, do not feel you have to pay the over inflated LR prices to get good quality Thumbs Up

Post #78270 13th Oct 2010 12:03 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Have you ever been in a brake manufacturng plant?
The compounds that make up individual manufacturers brakes are a unique and often copyrighted recipe, just because you don't actually make the items doesn't mean that you don't have the expertise to specify exactly what you want.

On a Sunday I took the wheels off my FL1 to clean the build up of mud from the inside of the rim and was shocked to discover less than 2mm of brake material left (dealer serviced!), nipped to Halfords and picked up a set of Mintex pads and fitted them. On Wednesday later the same week I went through a junction as the brakes failed - glowing discs and lots of smoke.
Now you are not going to have me believe that Mintex make Censored pads, but they certainly didn't use the same material that the LR pads were using.
The same goes for disk material - heat dispersion, resistance to distorsion, and friction co-efficient are all variables that can be altered by material composition, casting method, and machining.

I am not for one second saying that Mintex EBC etc. make substandard products - far from it, just that the products are not the same as originally fitted and therefore will not perform the same.

For example fitting "better" pads that increase braking effect will generate more intense heat but for a shorter time (assuming you are stopping the same weight from the same speed in less distance), this can lead to brake fade or to front / rear brake imbalance. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #78307 13th Oct 2010 1:05 pm
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand

Well......I fitted Mintex or EBC, can't remember which, to both front and rear of my FL2 at a massive saving over what LR wanted for either just supply or supply and fit. Been on there over 10,000 miles now and wet/dry braking is exactly as i'd expect. If you want to buy genuine parts or worse still pay LR to fit them go ahead, i'm more than happy these pads work just fine and i'm considerably better off in my pocket. After market brake manufacturers couldn't sell such products if they weren't fit for purpose or hadn't been extensively tested!

Post #78338 13th Oct 2010 8:37 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

On the day I sailed through the junction I hit nothing.
If a motorcyclist had been wiped out and the vehicle had been inspected do you think LR would have said thier design was at fault or that the brake pads were sub standard? Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #78349 13th Oct 2010 10:51 pm
lmorris4975

Speaking to a friend of mine today who's been in the motor trade for 25 years, he states that most LR brake pads ( FL,RR,RRS, and Disco) are made by Ferodo. And Ferodo's own branded pads are exactly the same as the LR branded pads as they are made at the same place by the same people using the same materials. The only differance being one is stamped with LR and the other Ferodo.
If you wish to pay over inflated prices for the same item as you can get for up 50% less Rolling with laughter thats your choice.
Delphi pads are made by Lucas one of the big boys in breaking so will be just fine.
I wounder who makes land rovers wiper blades, that would be Bosch, i wounder who makes the glow plugs/spark plugs, that would be NGK its all the same stuff your just paying more for the LR stamp and box.
PS new pads take a few miles to bed in ( thats taking into account they were fitted right)

Post #78352 13th Oct 2010 11:31 pm
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

lmorris4975 wrote:

Delphi pads are made by Lucas one of the big boys in breaking

In that case, I'll not be buying Whistle We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #78360 14th Oct 2010 1:03 am
lmorris4975

W.D.C.A.P.H. wrote:
lmorris4975 wrote:

Delphi pads are made by Lucas one of the big boys in breaking

In that case, I'll not be buying Whistle

Very Good Bow down

Post #78361 14th Oct 2010 2:16 am
Junior

England 

I fitted GENUINE L/R pads on mine-they had a ford sticker on them, I kid you not Shocked

Post #78362 14th Oct 2010 2:24 am
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

Popped into my local dealers today. They had a look and told me my discs were fine. They ended up putting new pads all round and with a 20% discount, it came to £350. I could have got it cheaper elsewhere, but I wanted genuine parts and my dealers have been very good to me Thumbs Up

Quite suprising how quiickly the pads wear, but not having to pay for dics too spreads the cost. Anything to help reduce the running costs is a bonus these days. Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #78480 15th Oct 2010 6:32 pm
Gunfa

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I usually fit my own pads but I was taking the FL2 for its first MOT today, I knew the the rear pads needed changing so I asked him to put some on, I told him not to use genuine LR pads as I knew these to be expensive, he said we usually use Delphi or Bosch, It cost £59.00 to supply and fit the pads he also checked the front ones at my request, good value I think.

He would not fit after market pads if they were not up to the Job, his very good reputation would soon disapear. What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Post #78486 15th Oct 2010 7:53 pm
donny

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

It's the rear pads that go first (don't know why Confused ) but they outlast the fronts 2to1 at least. I got my genuine rear pads for £15 a set so not worth fitting anything else.

Post #78488 15th Oct 2010 8:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>