Home > Technical > 'Transmission Fault' on display
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Skelly

Cyprus 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tambora Flame
'Transmission Fault' on display

Hi,

I keep getting 'Transmission Fault - reduced traction' on the display although the cars drives as usual. If I turn off the engine and re-start it's ok for a while then goes off again. After driving some distance all is ok again. Any ideas?

Skelly

Post #4765 20th Jul 2007 2:43 pm
ledzep

Belgium 

Hello,

see my posts under "really bad graunching noise from underneath"

No need for panic if there is no grease there....

Post #4767 20th Jul 2007 3:08 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

Hi,
It is a common fault, quite a few of us in the UK have had it (mine included), the dealer can do a software upgrade that seems to do the trick. Let your dealer know so that he can have the car in.

Post #4774 20th Jul 2007 6:33 pm
Skelly

Thanks guys.

Crawled underneath to check their was no oil and all seemed OK. The rear 'heat shield' did appear a little distorted so i fiddled with it and the warning seems to have stopped - maybe just fluke! By the way, should the rear shield be flat exactly the same as the front one or does it appear bent?

Post #4797 21st Jul 2007 7:24 am
insider

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

There was a software issue on early cars and an upgrade via dealer should fix it , if not i then the problem is a faulty sensor in the 'haldex unit ' / rear diff , the sensor will need changing not the whole diff.

Post #4807 21st Jul 2007 8:38 pm
Skelly

Spoke too soon - warning still comes on!

Will have to contact dealer Sad - hopefully just the software.

Post #4832 23rd Jul 2007 4:49 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi Skelly dont wish to be bearer of bad news but my early car had the 'transmission fault' loads in the early days, blamed on software, which has been upgraded, and it still does it on starting. Then I was blamed for speed of starting, fob to clutch to button. Then I was blamed for not pushing clutch all the way to the floor....now......I am getting this screen coming on as I drive around, started about three weeks ago. This week it did it at least once on each journey, Yesterday it did it four times in a 13 mile journey from work to home and today it did it four times!!! The screen comes up with the warning, you get a beep beep from the audio, and after about two - five minutes the dsiplay clears but does not reset the trip. Rang the stealer to see when my replacement car will be ready, all being organised for 1st Sept 07 Bow down Sad to see the old manual going but just hope the auto don't suffer the 'tramsmission warning' Whistle

Post #4933 28th Jul 2007 3:26 pm
The Villager

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

carlfraz wrote:
Hi Skelly dont wish to be bearer of bad news but my early car had the 'transmission fault' loads in the early days, blamed on software, which has been upgraded, and it still does it on starting. Then I was blamed for speed of starting, fob to clutch to button. Then I was blamed for not pushing clutch all the way to the floor....now......I am getting this screen coming on as I drive around, started about three weeks ago. This week it did it at least once on each journey, Yesterday it did it four times in a 13 mile journey from work to home and today it did it four times!!! The screen comes up with the warning, you get a beep beep from the audio, and after about two - five minutes the dsiplay clears but does not reset the trip. Rang the stealer to see when my replacement car will be ready, all being organised for 1st Sept 07 Bow down Sad to see the old manual going but just hope the auto don't suffer the 'tramsmission warning' Whistle

Hi Carlfraz
Are you part exchanging your manual to an auto?, if so are you losing a lot of money on the deal?
David David

Post #4942 28th Jul 2007 4:55 pm
insider

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

If you still have transmission fault message after software upgrade then ask dealer to change sensor in rear diff / haldex that will cure the problem . There ahve been two issues , software fault and real fault with sensor on early cars . The dealer does not need to change the rear diff !

Post #4944 28th Jul 2007 10:15 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

David Lindop wrote:
carlfraz wrote:

Hi Carlfraz
Are you part exchanging your manual to an auto?, if so are you losing a lot of money on the deal?
David

If I remember right, Land Rover are changing the car for Carlfraz, he's not changing at his own cost - all down to problems he has experienced from day 1

Post #4952 29th Jul 2007 12:13 pm
The Villager

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks Avtur
david David

Post #4953 29th Jul 2007 12:39 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi Guys and thanks avtur, my secretary Rolling with laughter sorry for the delay in reply David, not been giving the forum the support it needs recently. Yes LR are doing a straight swap - no cost**. I just have to swap my black side pipes as this was the only option that could not be unbolted from the current car. I rang the dealer Friday and they said it is now built and awaiting shipping but I shall collect on 1st Sept due to the new reg year, albeit nobody will notice as I am transferring my plate to the new one.

**The auto box is being paid for by me in a round about way, since the DVD screens have been an issue the new car was orderd without them and the monies set towards the auto box, so strictly speaking not a 'straight swap' the auto box is being paid for.

Post #4967 30th Jul 2007 12:23 pm
MIXALIS

Dear Skelly

Call Costas L/R in Nicosia 22439900. Ia sure they will be able to set ths right.

Kaloriziko file!

Post #4992 1st Aug 2007 2:48 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1