Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Cambelt change - Are you happy waiting until 150,000 miles?!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mr Moo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Cambelt change - Are you happy waiting until 150,000 miles?!

Looking at the service schedule, the cambelt change interval for the TD4 engine is 150,000 miles or ten years! This seems like a lot of time/distance for a glorified rubber band, together with associated bearings, tensioners etc. to last. In addition, I'm fairly sure that the water pump is driven by the cambelt and if this started to leak or partially seize after 9 years and 125,000 miles, the results could be catastrophic.

From previous experience, most manufacturers seem to recommend changing a cambelt at around 60-70,000 miles or 5 years. Given that the oldest FL2 is only around 4 years old, I can't imagine there are many that have reached 150,000 miles yet. As far as I know, other vehicles that use effectively the same 2.2 diesel as the FL2 recommend a far earlier change. I'd be amazed if LR made any changes to the engine (stronger belt, heavy duty tensioners etc) to make it 'long life'. Assuming I still have the car in say 5 years and 60k miles, I'd be tempted to get the belt changed as a precaution. Would I be wasting my money?!

Post #77457 2nd Oct 2010 8:29 am
davidgarside1

United Kingdom 
Cambelt

Has it got a cambelt?

Post #77472 2nd Oct 2010 9:37 am
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

I'm pretty sure that I read LR made certain modifications to the TD4 engine from standard, same as they did with the Haldex. (I could well be wrong though Whistle ) We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #77483 2nd Oct 2010 11:26 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

In answer to your original question yes I will be waiting to the 150k mile mark.

Why not? if the engineers have done thier job properly it should last that long. It seems foolhardy to advertise such a long period between changes knowing that the majority of cars reccommend changes at the 60-75K mark unless you have done your ground work. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #77549 3rd Oct 2010 1:10 am
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

I'm sure there will already be cars that have done the necessary mileage. (Not any more, thankfully, but I used to clock over 65k a year).

I seriously doubt that a manufacturer would make a statement in the servicing schedule regarding mileage that was wrong. That's asking for serious litigation/libel/trouble or whatever is the correct pseudo-american-politico-correct statement these days. We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #77550 3rd Oct 2010 3:18 am
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Andy131, I would like to agree with you about (engineers have done their job properly)

But have you had any dealing's with vauxhall ( a few year back) the 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 litre twin cams would eat though cam belts, tensioner and rolls, there standard was 40,000 then 60,000 then 80,000 miles then back to 60,000 miles.
we always had 2 engine in bits every week because of this problem and up to 6 engines in the summer when it was warmer because the rolls would over heat and fail. But ha that was then and this now ??? LR may have got it right. Thumbs Up

Post #77554 3rd Oct 2010 9:55 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

Of course they did get it wrong on the TDi 300. I had two cambelts go in a fortnight before they put out the modification (by which time I had swapped the disco for a freelander!). One of the things I liked about the TD5 was its lack of a cam belt.

Post #77581 3rd Oct 2010 2:36 pm
Grumpy

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Izmir Blue

Ha

Don't believe the schedules

The Alfa 156 manual stated cam belt change at 75k miles (we had 2 fail at around 40k - 2 very dead engines) -Alfa quickly revised the service schedule to show belt change @ 36k miles

Banging Head

Grumpy Grumpy

Post #77729 5th Oct 2010 4:47 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

It looks like 150k is a standard figure they have grabbed out of the air. It's not just the cam belt, but also the ancillary belt, the transmission oil, rear diff oil and haldex oil. Moral - sell your car before it hits 150k!

Post #77733 5th Oct 2010 6:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1