« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Loss of power
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Woody1

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Stornoway Grey
Loss of power

Hello, can someone offer me some advice please?

We have a freelander 2, 2007, which we have owned from new and have been delighted with except for a recent small problem.

When towing a caravan in France last month the power from the engine dropped, after we had been in traffic for about 15 minutes. I noticed this when I drove away from the jam, our top speed dropped to 50 miles per hour and acceleration was poor.

The problem cleared itself and did not repeat during the holiday.

Since then the car has been serviced, but they found no problems to explain above. Today, whilst driving around town, not towing this time, we had a similar problem. The problem cleared itself after stopping and starting the car. We did notice that the EMS light came on monentarily.

Has anybody else had a similar problem or could tell me what is going on?

Thanks Steve from Somerset

Post #74842 29th Aug 2010 5:24 pm
ad210358

England 

Have heard of a similar one to this before, and on an Auto, Mchersonstrut has had a similar problem but only when towing, never did it solo, but I do know a software update sorted it.

Post #74843 29th Aug 2010 5:41 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

ad210358 wrote:
Mchersonstrut never did it solo,

you sure? Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #74845 29th Aug 2010 6:04 pm
alex_pescaru

Those "limp home modes" are logged on the engine ECU NVRAM.
Even if at the next start it doesn't happen again.
Insist at dealers to interogate the faults with the help of their testing equipment.

If all other things are in order, two items usually give this behaviour. The airflow meter and the turbo.
It happened during and/or after a hard acceleration? If yes, could be the turbo.
If not, could be a "soon to be KIA" mass airflow meter.

Post #74848 29th Aug 2010 7:29 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yep had to have the AA guy out to mine (the display said ''Reduced engine performance'') which is just as Alex said under hard acceleration with 1500kg's of trailor Whistle but he was quite honest in saying all he can do is reset ''something'' which means it will wipe the computer memory, if it does it again when you call LR assist make a point of asking for a LR assist technician and not the AA - The techy guy came out the second time, carried out a few checks and said it's not had the turbo overboost upgrade (Or something similar).....Into the local dealer for a day (An RRS loan car courtesy of those very nice people at LR assist) and sorted.

Post #74895 30th Aug 2010 7:39 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

mcphersonstrut wrote:
under hard acceleration with 1500kg's of trailor

slow slow change of pace with you hammering the engine you mean? oh no there is a corner you will have to loose that hard fought for speed again Rolling Eyes At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #74898 30th Aug 2010 8:24 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I had this but with the temp gauge jumping up and limp mode due ut thinking it was overheating due to either a faulty sensor or a radiator plugged with mud (which was cleaned by the dealer) Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #74899 30th Aug 2010 8:47 pm
kezman50

England 

What's the "over boost upgrade" then? is this something that is applied separately?

Post #74919 31st Aug 2010 6:43 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

TBH I have absolutely no idea what it is....but LR mobile technician rang his mate after coming out to our car and after plugging his laptop into diagnose the fault. After a few checks suggested that it has not had the turbo overboost software upgrade. Carefull how you read that as I don't think it's an upgrade to the boost pressure Big Cry more of a when the pressure gets to a defined point then it does not increase any further which perhaps it WAS doing before, and so the car went into limp mode to protect the engine.

Post #74939 31st Aug 2010 3:25 pm
agroman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Had the Turbo Overboost limp home condition on my previous 57 plate. Dealers replaced whole turbo assembly under warranty, wonder how much that cost?? - Sounds as if a software glitch has now been found to be causing the condition. :rolllaugh 1998 Feelander XDI Hardback - Gone
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Hardback - Gone
2004 Freelander TD4 HSE Stationwaggon - Gone
2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS manual - Gone
2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto - Gone
2013 SD4 GS arrived April 2013

Post #74972 31st Aug 2010 9:39 pm
oakwood

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Reduced Engine Performance

I've been having this problem recently. It first happened about 100km after leaving Toulouse in August for a return trip to Brussels. I lost performance and got the message 'Reduced Engine Performance' on the dash.

I first ignored it, but then message changed to 'Engine System Fault, take to dealer'. It sounded serious, so I looked for an LR dealer. I lost an hour looking for one en route. (It had moved from the address in my GPS. Then the new address was not in the GPS). Once I got there, they told me they couldn't look at it before the next day. So I just took the risk and continued back to Brussels.

My local dealer looked at it but didn't find a fault. I presume they just re-set things.

It happened again a week later on a trip to Holland. Then disappeared the next day. Now its permanent again, so going to dealer next week. I'll have to find a French or Dutch translation of 'Turbo overboost'!

The 'loss of power' feeling is similar to when you get a message about the DPF. So I would not be surprised if they're connected.

On positive side, fuel economy is quite a bit better at 100km/hr than at 130.

Post #76139 16th Sep 2010 6:50 pm
oakwood

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Car spent a day in the garage. They reset the system and carried out the tests. They didn't find anything specific, but assured me all seemed ok.

But the next time I went on the motorway, it happended again.

The garage said: if it happens again, they may need to change the whole turbo system - a big job. (It'll be under warranty)

Has anyone had this done?

Post #76920 26th Sep 2010 2:02 pm
vectis

United Kingdom 

A friend of mine had this problem last weekend on his FL1, I did some googling and it turns out it is quite a common fault on the FL1 of split intercooler hoses, he was up in Wales at the time with no internet access but I phoned him back with the info and he found a split hose did a quick repair and got back to the Isle of Wight so it might be worth checking the hoses as his symptons were the same as yours, I know he hasn't got the fault codes showing but but under extra pressure a split would open up and could show up as a turbo fault.

Post #76924 26th Sep 2010 4:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1