Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Newbie tyre kicking.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mallee Boy

Australia 
Newbie tyre kicking.

Hello folks,
As yet I am not a Freelander2 owner, so please bear with me as I wade through all the info on the myriad of vehicles avaialbale for sale.

My story: I will be "retiring" shortly and intend to pursue my "hobby" (its actually a bit more than that) of photography, who knows where it will lead, but it will involve a lot of road travel.
I currently drive a Ford Escape, now, now, dont be so quick to knock it, its actually a very good and capable 'little' vehicle, but I am looking to upgrade. Why the Escape? I used to drive a Nissan Murano, but after getting stranded with a blown tyre in a major regional NSW city, for two days waiting for a tyre to come from Sydney or Brisbane Mad , I wanted a vehicle I could get basic things like a tyre for outside the capitol cities. (The Murano ran a 'donut' spare & I was advised against driving any distance on it).

I have had a long hard look at a range of vehicles and the Freelander2 emerges as the most capable all-rounder, its main opposition (to me) is the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, which will have an edge offroad (example: West to the Qld boder and South to the Flinders ranges ), but as my travels will involve long distances of bitumen I think the Freelander is the better, albeit more expensive, option.

What I would like to hear from other owners is the petrol vs diesel experiences, most of my driving will be long distance, sitting on the speed limits, and low speed off road work seeking out that "special" shot. My days of setting land speed records are long behind me. Smile

Thankyou for your anticipated input.

Cheers
Grant

Post #76859 25th Sep 2010 12:40 am
kiwisully

New Zealand 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

ive had bmws all my life 316 X 2
320d great car
X3 X 2 manual petrol and diesel great cars
X5 brilliant but guzzle fuel
z3 mid lif crisis but loved it !!!

FL2 is brilliant . it s value fo money its diesel and cheap to run has great features yes not in bmw class but still good worst features ... run over oise whisl idle ing as BMW is almost non existant teh FL2 can be heard whilst in cab howver whilst moving no issue great stereo and 6 cd at front rather than boot is good. no decent holder comaprtment at front are all oen rather than a lockable place like a glove box but now we are being picky.

if moneys no object yes other brands have nice cars
if value and off road capabilities and the diesel low mpg s are teh answer yes would go free lander is a great car comfy nice road height good drive and off road take it where ever you cant take the competitors!!

Post #76864 25th Sep 2010 9:38 am
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

Good Day Grant, I fully agree with your antipathy towards vehicles without full size spare wheels: wanting a less than full size off roader, but one with a better than average off road ability to replace my Subaru Outback, I chose the Freelander 2 out of the few that actually catered for being out of the city area and at weekends if you got a puncture. That was some 20 months and 48000km ago with no problems at all - apart from a puncture a long way from anywhere - which made the point for me.
I chose the petrol i6 for quietness, smoothness, and less mess and smell at the servo, and have not regretted the choice. Mine does usually what it says on the box, around 11.2 litres per 100 km., thirstier if mostly off road, worst seen 12.5, better on highway runs, best seen 9.8. I take the view that compared with purchase price difference and depreciation, fuel costs are not that critical in the overall costs of running any car. However, you do get an increase in range with the diesel and it would, I guess, feel nicer losing the extra 2 or 3 litres per 100 kms. It's a personal choice and, as I say, mine was petrol. Either way, I would choose the Freelander over the Jeep - somebody once said that 'quality and satisfaction remains long after the price is forgotten'. That wasn't about cars, but I agree with the sentiment. The Freelander is certainly very good both on and off the highway. Whatever you choose, have a great time.

Post #77066 28th Sep 2010 3:48 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

I've got a Freelander 2 and a Jeep, both diesel. The Freelander is way better. It's almost as good off road as the Jeep, just drags it's belly sometimes. I wouldn't go back to petrol. Mike

Post #77205 29th Sep 2010 5:12 pm
Mallee Boy

Australia 

Thankyou all for your replies. Much appreciated.

I tend to agree with egipp, the diesel is really hard to justify the extra $$$. Also take your point regarding smell etc...I farmed for a long time so I am no stranger to diesels.

The decision...? well, there isn't one for now, I will have to give this more thought.

Post #77662 4th Oct 2010 1:25 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1