« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > who tows a heavy caravan with a fl2? im thinking 1700kg +
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
marksimonpowell

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black
who tows a heavy caravan with a fl2? im thinking 1700kg +

we are considering getting a bigger caravan, something maybe 1700kg, maybe more - anyone got any experience of towing this weight? good, bad, indifferent?

Post #75443 7th Sep 2010 10:06 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I find a 1700 kg van too big, towing is a nightmare , fish tails , rear shunting, braking efficiency non existent , dont go there Confused At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #75446 7th Sep 2010 10:19 pm
marksimonpowell

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

im surprised george, we have a 1500kg van - its no problemm at all. what van have you got? twin or single axle? is it loaded right?

Post #75447 7th Sep 2010 10:22 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Whistle

At this point you should really wait for someone else to post as I have never towed a caravan in my life and urge you not to do so either.

Mrs G keeps threatening to buy one , I simply tell her , if she does she will need it to live in Very Happy At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #75449 7th Sep 2010 10:30 pm
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

Sorry about George, he sometimes doesnt take his medication but he is harmless enough (but only if you don't tow your van anywhere in Yorkshire, Lancashire is quite safe he doesnt like to travel over the border after the ill feeling left over after the war) 

Post #75453 7th Sep 2010 11:05 pm
johnstuart

I tow a 1700kg twin axle caravan with no problems,
Do ensure the tow ball is high enough for the caravan to be level & not place too much weight on the front axle.

Post #75468 8th Sep 2010 9:33 am
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Just had a look a www.whattowcar.com and it doesn't really recommend it.

Have a look. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #75472 8th Sep 2010 11:55 am
another one

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have towed a lot with my Freelander and tow a twin axle Geist caravan with an MTPLM of 1800 kg. I dont load it too its maximum but it will be over 1700kg regualrily. I would say that the Freelander is an excellent towcar and is really stable with this caravan even though what towcar doesn't really reccomend it.

If you are an experienced caravaner and are happy to tow above the 85% level then you wont have a problem. When my car was in for repair last year i towed with a defender LWB and a RRS 3.0 tdi and the Freelander felt more stable and performed better than both of them.

Post #75477 8th Sep 2010 1:57 pm
tug100

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Mine tows better than my Disco 300tdi, by far. Well happy with stability and power. Towing at about 1500kg tho' not 1700. Just done 2000 miles around France. Towing average ranged from 24 to 26 depending on weather, roads and speed.

Post #75493 8th Sep 2010 8:12 pm
Missing Link

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

I have done a couple of trips now with my XS pulling an Armara 520/4. Wheras the rig was a little heavy for my 03 plate Td4 it is much better behaved now. Obviously the auto box helps but it all feels much more stable. I tend to run with the download close to max for the van which helps and it is well within the capacity of the Freelander.

As you already tow most aspects will be familiar to you. As it it still below the 2000Kg limit from LR it should be O.K. Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #75502 8th Sep 2010 8:55 pm
yaugher

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

I made the decision on the new FL2 NOT to have a tow bar fitted.....If I need to tow I use my Disco D3......its built for hard work !!

My new FL2 is built for pleasurable driving and fun....(anyway I have a perfectly good house here and if I wish to go away I use one of those ...erm what do they call them....ohhh tip of tongue.....AH YES ! HOTELS !"!! Laughing )

FL2 auto HSE Galway green sept 2010 one week old today now done 170 miles and every inch of the driving has been wonderfull !!!! Very Happy Sept 1 2010 Now the PROUD owner of Galway Green Auto Diesel HSE

Post #75554 9th Sep 2010 9:06 am
1STFREELANDER

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I tow a 1500KG caravan with an XS auto, it tows very well. However, the recomended maximum waight of a trailer
should be no more than 85% of its kerbweight. The FL2 weigh about 1800KG, which gives a recommended maximum of 1530kgs. I beleive it is illegal to tow more than 100% of your kerbwieght. The 2000kg towing limit is the maximum weight the vehicle can tow from a start, up a hill ( I think it's a 15% hill).
The police frequently pull caravans over and find they are towing illegally because the caravan is over weight for the towing vehicle, if you think about it if the van is heavier than the towing vehicle then the tail will be able to wag the dog, and there is little the dog will be able to do about it.

Post #75583 9th Sep 2010 1:11 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i agree in principle in what you are saying and playing devils advocate, if you was stopped and your manuals says you can tow 2000kg then your not breaking the the law

does the law state it can not exceed the cars weight or does it say not to exceed the manufactorers stated max limit?

I tow 1500kg so never looked in to it further myself, but with a new caravan been launched that i quite like i may be 1800kg (but i doubt i will change) Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #75588 9th Sep 2010 1:28 pm
christian138

xtattsbox wrote:
Just had a look a www.whattowcar.com and it doesn't really recommend it.

Have a look.

Out of curiousity I put in a fleetwood Heritage 1700kg

Quote:
The match between car and caravan is plausible in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 88%.

The towing performances of this Landrover with your Fleetwood are perfect (performance index = 109 km/h or 68 mph).

You may expect excellent performances from this outfit. On flat roads it's easy to come along, in which case top gear is applicable under normal circumstances.

On motorway inclines you will be able not only to come along, but be the first at the top. On steep roads you have more than sufficient power to keep going. On hill starts there will be more than enough power to get going, provided the wheels have traction.

it gives 5 stars ! 

Post #75590 9th Sep 2010 1:53 pm
christian138

1STFREELANDER wrote:
I tow a 1500KG caravan with an XS auto, it tows very well. However, the recomended maximum waight of a trailer
should be no more than 85% of its kerbweight. The FL2 weigh about 1800KG, which gives a recommended maximum of 1530kgs. I beleive it is illegal to tow more than 100% of your kerbwieght. The 2000kg towing limit is the maximum weight the vehicle can tow from a start, up a hill ( I think it's a 15% hill).
The police frequently pull caravans over and find they are towing illegally because the caravan is over weight for the towing vehicle, if you think about it if the van is heavier than the towing vehicle then the tail will be able to wag the dog, and there is little the dog will be able to do about it.

The law is you can't tow something heavier that than the car. The guidelines state kerbweight as this is the minimun weight of the car and the MTPLM as this the maximum weight of the caravan. So say you have the car loaded so that it weighs 2000kg (ie 200kg of luggage and people) and the van is 1700kg (ie loaded with 230kg in the case of the fleetwood) this would actually meet the 85% rule but legally you could still put another 299kg in he caravan and still be legal. 

Post #75591 9th Sep 2010 2:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>