Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > 3rd gear judder problem- please help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sam7

3rd gear judder problem- please help!

Guys - I am having trouble with judder in 3rd gear when I accelerate hard. The judder only happens in 3rd gear - all other gear changes are smooth. The judder can be quite bad sometimes, but not every time. I have only seen it when accelerating hard changing from 2nd to 3rd gear. Most of the time is is slight, but sometimes very bad where the car jolts and bang, bang, bang...

I couldn't demonstrate the issue to the dealer very well. They suggested to wait until it gets worse, but I am worried that it might damage something else, and while they will replace whatever it is once it has failed, but leave me with other problems later down the line...

I have done 6k miles so far in 2 1/2 months (from new) - mostly motorway miles so not much gear changing!

I was hoping someone might be able to help???

Post #75822 12th Sep 2010 8:53 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Auto or Manual? When does it happen, revs wise? Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #75852 13th Sep 2010 8:52 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

without more details it sounds like the clutch slipping ?? ( if it's a manual )

Iain

Post #75854 13th Sep 2010 9:06 am
xtattsbox

The Ford Smax had an issue with the Dual Mass Flywheel that presented itself as juddering in certain gears.

It tend to happen at peak torque so if it is at about 2200 / 2400 rpm that is where the engine is working best.

If it is an auto, mine vibrates slightly under load at about 1800 rpm. I need to speak to the garage to get them to have a look. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #75863 13th Sep 2010 10:22 am
sam7

Sorry I should have added some details!!

Manual
Revs wise, usually around 2000 or so but need to check this - could be higher as it only happens when I am accelerating hard. Its hard because it doesn't do it all of the time.

It does feel like the clutch is 'snatching' and it only happens at the end of the bite point - so almost locked in position. I have had a few problems learning the bite point which I think is unusual for me, but I am not sure whether this is related - so I am more tentative when actually releasing the clutch altogether (at the end of its travel) but only for 1 second... nothing longer.

Again appears only when accelerating hard, and/or with a few people (car share!) and going up a very slight incline.

It feels like the clutch slipping/snatching but why wouldn't it do it in the other gears!? The mechanic at LR dealer tried a few things such as pull away in 3rd and it just stalled as you would expect. Although didn't smell very good.

I have had a few hot clutch smells but this has been when my partner has over revved it while starting in 1st. I thought this was normal as it is a heavy car but could this be related?

I do around 30k miles a year and have never had a bad clutch smell before in my previous cars - apart from when it snowed. Very Happy

Any thoughts? I thought clutch judder problems tend to be in all gears?

Post #75936 13th Sep 2010 10:27 pm
xtattsbox

It sounds very much the type of things that were linked to the Dual mass flywheel problem.

A mate of mine owns a body shop and they started to supply plug in diesel tuning boxes. I thought I'd have a go with one in the Smax. 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear fine. A bit of vibration in 3rd, but oh the power. 4th gear... The vibration through the car was massive. It happened only when the peak torque came in at about 2000-2200 rpm, and only when accelerating hard. Anyway the box came off, obviously.

When I first got the Smax, I was driving hard down country lanes one morning there was a section of the road that put a huge load on the engine and it did it then. It only did it once and I could never get it to repeat. When the torque was increased by the chipping did it happen regularly.

My guess is, if you can get some weight in the car, people, bags of sand, take your pick, find a suitable bit of road and take the car to I guess 35/40 mph. I would thing that the revs should be around 1700 rpm. Floor it and see what happens. Engine needs to be loading the flywheel to get it to vibrate. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #75952 14th Sep 2010 8:43 am
sam7

Great thanks. I will give it a try!

Post #76009 14th Sep 2010 10:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1