Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2008 Model Vehicles Product Update Programme
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue
2008 Model Vehicles Product Update Programme

Anybody else had a letter regarding this?

It came from a dealer that I have visited twice for warranty issues but who are not the supplying dealer nor the dealer who has carried out 2 services for me.

It states that they are providing a no charge product update programme to owners of 2008 registered vehicles and that I should book it in so they can check that my car has all the latest updates. Its free and takes about an hour.

Should I be bothered? I mean if it aint broke dont fix it and surely the dealer who serviced my fl2 in April would have performed an update if necessary, what should I do?

Post #75516 8th Sep 2010 10:06 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Got the same message from the dealer in Bury (Stratstone?) who sold me the vehicle - bit strange as the dealer (Guy Salmon) in Stockport is the one who does my servicing. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #75525 8th Sep 2010 11:03 pm
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Secret recall for a software update ? We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #75540 9th Sep 2010 12:53 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Quote from letter

What is the reason for this programme?
As part of Stratstone's commitment to ensuring the highest level of quality to our customers, we hav initiated a product Update Programme for 2008 vehicles.

Land Rover constantly monitors vehicle quality and customer feedback and has developed various software improvements that may be relevant to yoy vehicle. As we have not seen your vehicle recently, Stratstone would like to check your vehicle to ensure it has had the latest updates. Please note this is not a Safety recall.

I just took it as an excuse for them to blag me into having a service carried out by them.
I write software for a living and would NEVER let someone change a sysytem that was working reliably, just because someone has told them there is a "update" available. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #75549 9th Sep 2010 7:55 am
phil_wkl

Australia 

Really? so you wouldn't update your apps with newer versions? say firefox 2 to 3, or incremental releases of software which fix bugs even though the customer may not be aware of the bugs? Phil

Post #75559 9th Sep 2010 10:52 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

ask your actuall servicing dealer about it, it sounds more like a ploy to me and you will get the following phone call Whistle

whilst doing your updates the tech had a quick look around your car and we have noticed your [half] worn brake pads needs replacing and because they are so low you'll need your disc replacing too Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #75561 9th Sep 2010 11:57 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Gave Guy Salmon a ring Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy at least they had a laugh.

And no I NEVER do incremental updates, ask any one with a Windows operating system what a Censored Microsoft makes of that. - still running Windows 2000 on my main machine.

Don't get me wrong, if it is broke I will fix it, but an install of Siemens programming software will take at least 3 8 hour days, with prompts all along the way, then there is Allen Bradley, Mitsubishi, Modicon to name but a few. Cost of the software if you loose the authorisations is in excess of £8k

Last update patch I was forced to install cost me 4 days work and I am self employed. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #75580 9th Sep 2010 1:08 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Andy131 wrote:
Gave Guy Salmon a ring Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy at least they had a laugh.

And no I NEVER do incremental updates, ask any one with a Windows operating system what a Censored Microsoft makes of that. - still running Windows 2000 on my main machine.

Don't get me wrong, if it is broke I will fix it, but an install of Siemens programming software will take at least 3 8 hour days, with prompts all along the way, then there is Allen Bradley, Mitsubishi, Modicon to name but a few. Cost of the software if you loose the authorisations is in excess of £8k

Last update patch I was forced to install cost me 4 days work and I am self employed.

I've killed more routers doing manufacturers firmware updates than I care to mentioned.

(Window 2000 was the best version!!) Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #75582 9th Sep 2010 1:10 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Heard it all before.
Basically saves a recall; even if not safety related. BMW do it all the time. It all helps with stats.
And JD power ratings.
Take your FL2 anyway, and find out why?

Post #75637 9th Sep 2010 10:53 pm
blinged freelander

It's all crap. If you have your car serviced regularly, they check the software updates. If there is anything dire, it's a recall. This is just like a we will check your oil and top up if necessary. 99% wont need it!

Post #75651 10th Sep 2010 9:27 am
vectis

United Kingdom 

I don't know why Guy Salmon laughed as I received almost the same letter from them.

Post #76196 17th Sep 2010 5:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1