Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Retro fit audio steering wheel controls
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
blinged freelander

Retro fit audio steering wheel controls

Dont know if it's worth my while starting this topic. I really am sceptical that anything worthwhile is discussed on this site. Anyway, for those that have a 'S' model, you can retro fit the steering wheel remote controls. It's a 5 min job, with no computer configeration required.

If someone does want to talk serious matters, add your name to the topic. Otherwise I'll let is slip and you can go back to slagging off the colour of your car, trailer, caravans or such like.

Post #75234 4th Sep 2010 1:47 pm
proplus

Re: Retro fit audio steering wheel controls

blinged freelander wrote:
Dont know if it's worth my while starting this topic. I really am sceptical that anything worthwhile is discussed on this site. Anyway, for those that have a 'S' model, you can retro fit the steering wheel remote controls. It's a 5 min job, with no computer configeration required.

If someone does want to talk serious matters, add your name to the topic. Otherwise I'll let is slip and you can go back to slagging off the colour of your car, trailer, caravans or such like.

I'm interested. Lately I've got this huge urge to mod everything in my FL2, so this will be something I'll be looking into in the very near future.

Post #75237 4th Sep 2010 3:07 pm
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Yep, I'm interested (providing the price is right). I was only thinking about this yesterday Thumbs Up

BTW, I don't give a toss what colour / model anyone has. It's easy to ignore internet posts. There is a lot of good info on this forum. We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #75248 4th Sep 2010 6:32 pm
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black
Re: Retro fit audio steering wheel controls

blinged freelander wrote:

Your mate junior might be interested,he can pretend he's driving a GS ! 

Post #75251 4th Sep 2010 6:40 pm
blinged freelander

Okay,

1. Source your audio steering wheel control from Ebay. It doesn't matter if it's for a FL2, a Disco or a RR. They are all the same. The cost is roughly 15 quid all in.

2. Source an airbag removal tool, again it's generic LR. Ebay has some ones or make your own from a coat hanger. Roughly 100mm long with a 5mm right angled turn up at the end or if you like, a hook.

3. Open the engine compartment. Disconnect the positive feed to the battery. Check all the electrics are off by opening a door or trying to stick a key in. You are doing this to prevent an accidental airbag deployment. LEAVE it 10 mins to ensure any residual electric has dissapated.

4. With the hook bit of your airbay removal tool turned towards you, insert the wire into one of the oblong holes either side of the plastic trim, just under the steering wheel, but before the dash cowel. You will feel a bit of metal, hook it and pull towards you at the same time as the other hand is just levering off the airbay from the steering wheel. Do the same the other side and the airbag is removed. Do not start removing the wires. No need, just place it on the top of the steering wheel, it will stay there.

Click image to enlarge

5. With a torx screwdriver, Halfords sell plenty and reasonably cheaply, go round the back of the righthand side of the steering wheel and unscrew the two retaining screws that hold the right side horn.

6. Once done, the assembly will push towards the centre of the steeringwheel and the two plastic retaining clips disengage.

7. Push the clip down on the electrical connector going into the horn and it will free.

8. Connect the audio steering wheel replacment, just in the reverse fashion to the removal. All I'd add is that the airbag merely requires alligned straight and pushed back into the steering wheel. You'll hear it click in place. Remember to reconnect the battery and viola, your audio will spring into action, fully operational, light up at night etc.

Why LR didn't just make these things standard is beyond me, other than to justify the difference in price between models, but it's only pennies for Gods sake, PATHETIC. Like with most LR things, the wiring is already there! you'd be surprised by whats just waiting to be plugged in. Cruise Control fits up the same way, apart from you'd need it configured or TLO does it for 75 quid all in. Even at that it's a bit cheaper than paying 330 quid on order from a dealer. Anyway, I've popped some photos up, yes, it's a disco in the photo, but the FL2 is exactly the same, it's really simple. You can't go wrong and once done, you will have the confidence to change the steering wheel for leather etc. etc. I can do more guides if the sensible ones on here want, if the lunatics rule, then you're loss.

Post #75255 4th Sep 2010 8:00 pm
athelstan

blinged freelander
May I congratulate you on an excellent descriptive tutorial that's accompanied by superb 'photos. Just the job.

One I don't need to do as her Ladyship's "Newport" model is SW audio wired, but your presentation is marvelous.

As for "blinging", her Ladyship makes at least one suggestion almost every week - bless her.

Post #75270 5th Sep 2010 11:09 am
Junior

England 

It's been a while since there was something usefull posted on this site, Well done, brilliant tutorial Thumbs Up

Post #75271 5th Sep 2010 11:44 am
ad210358

England 

Junior wrote:
It's been a while since there was something usefull posted on this site, Well done, brilliant tutorial Thumbs Up

That's because you have done most of the posting Whistle

Post #75280 5th Sep 2010 4:27 pm
Junior

England 

ad210358 wrote:
Junior wrote:

Case in point-This unwanted 'Banter' in a serious informative thread is precisely what Blinged Freelander's now notorious rant was about, If you have noting useful to add to the topic go and find one where you can Thumbs Up

Post #75283 5th Sep 2010 4:47 pm
ad210358

England 

Junior wrote:
ad210358 wrote:
Junior wrote:

Case in point-This unwanted 'Banter' in a serious informative thread is precisely what Blinged Freelander's now notorious rant was about, If you have noting useful to add to the topic go and find one where you can Thumbs Up

Question Question But you started the unwanted "Banter" with the sarcastic comments on this thread just like your mate does Thumbs Up

Post #75285 5th Sep 2010 5:12 pm
Junior

England 

Firstly No sarcasm from me? and secondly who's my mate?-I've not made any friends on this site as most of you are immature buffoons.

Q-The rest of your gang to pile in with the don't read it or leave our site Censored .

Post #75286 5th Sep 2010 5:22 pm
ad210358

England 

Is their any wonder why you have not made friends when you regard most of the members as immature baffons Rolling Eyes

Post #75288 5th Sep 2010 5:38 pm
Junior

England 

I'm not here to make friends-I thought this was a Land Rover enthusiasts Forum??

Post #75290 5th Sep 2010 5:55 pm
proplus

ad210358 wrote:

Question Question But you started the unwanted "Banter" with the sarcastic comments on this thread just like your mate does Thumbs Up

Does it really matter about who started the 'banter'? (Oh miss, miss, but he started it!)

The point being there is a section at the bottom of the main page of this forum called 'Off Topic'....you'd have thought it was self-explanatory.

Post #75291 5th Sep 2010 5:58 pm
blinged freelander

Thank you Junior and Athelstan. your comments are much appreciated. I can do a lot more tutorials. LR are in honesty, quite simple to do, despite dealerships wanting to charge 70 quid an hour labour! But then it's us that fork out for all the leather in the waiting room isn't it! No wonder they smile at us. With the present economic climate, if we can do something ourselves, then we save a packet. There is a heavy philistinism vein in some of the membership unfortunately. It's a pity because a forum by nature is an exchange of information, unlike a blog or social networking site.

Post #75300 5th Sep 2010 8:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>