Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Possible to retune the auto box?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TrickiDicki

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Alaska White
Possible to retune the auto box?

Hi guys
We have a TD4 HSE and are loving it. One thing I notice however is that here in Melbourne a lot of the roads have an 80 kph speed limit but the auto box sticks in 5th gear and won't switch up to 6th unless I use CommandShift. Is it possible to get the 'box retuned so that the up-shifts are better atuned to local conditions?

Thanks

Post #73582 8th Aug 2010 12:23 am
Firestar

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

80kph is roughly 50mph.... Even on the flat I doubt the engine would be fully efficient/ happy at such low revs in 6th.

We have a blanket 60mph (96kph) speed limit on single carriageway roads and the FL2 is unwilling to change up to 6th at this speed, so I'll manually change (or go at 62 when it does up-shift)!

The box is 'learning', in theory so perhaps if you can go a little bit faster than 80kph then ease off it might learn to change up? Particularly if you keep telling it to in Command Shift and back into auto ??

Post #73769 11th Aug 2010 5:23 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

When we had the big huge 50 limit on the M1 I used to notice that it wouldn't change from 5th to 6th on it's own, however if you slow to 50 with it in 6th it won't change back to 5th unless you hit a big hill.

When I'm towing it's true the car is fairly reluctant to hit 6th on its own, but after a few sconds at 60 (ish!) I find ours does. I put this down to not being up to temperature fully because we live next to the motorway. I don't take quite as much notice to be fair immediately entering a motorway I'm not used to so can't comment what ours does for the first few seconds of being up to speed!

I have found that when up to speed and cruising with cruise control on, on the flat the car sometimes 'all of a sudden' does change up, probably as it realises it isn't being as efficient as it can be.

Something to bare in mind, if going up hill at 50, surely the car would be more efficient in 5th, as it would be right in the fat of the torque curve? Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #73773 11th Aug 2010 6:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1