« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Running In...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Uncle Buck

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey
Running In...

I was told by my dealer that new diesel engines do not require running in these days, although the manual says different.... I have been taking it easy so far (no thrashing the engine !) but was wondering if you have to be careful with the speed and braking for a while or not ?
And do you need to open it up every now and then to clean any crap out or not ?
Any advice is much appreciated ! Thanks !

Post #73467 5th Aug 2010 10:18 pm
lmorris4975

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

Most if not all modern engines require little or no running in. Your brakes will be fine might take a bit (250miles) to get upto full power, but chancers are you will never notice, just drive the FL2 as normal as long as that is not bouncing it off the rev limiter and jamming on the brakes from high speed all will be fine. One tip use good fuel dont put supermarket crap in it, try useing Shell or shell Vpower or the same from Esso, Total etc Thumbs Up

Post #73472 5th Aug 2010 11:38 pm
vibecy

Cyprus 

Hi Buck,

Please read this discussion and hopefully will enlighten you:

http://www.freel2.com/forum/post63199.html

R,
vibecy

Post #73474 6th Aug 2010 6:21 am
Uncle Buck

Thanks for the advice !
So should you thrash the engine once in a while - does it help the engine ?

Post #73476 6th Aug 2010 8:22 am
christo the lord

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Auto Santorini Black

lmorris4975 wrote:
Most if not all modern engines require little or no running in. Your brakes will be fine might take a bit (250miles) to get upto full power, but chancers are you will never notice, just drive the FL2 as normal as long as that is not bouncing it off the rev limiter and jamming on the brakes from high speed all will be fine. One tip use good fuel dont put supermarket crap in it, try useing Shell or shell Vpower or the same from Esso, Total etc Thumbs Up

i thought that supermarket fuel was the same nowadays is it still not as good as the likes of bp ect Chris Binns

Post #73477 6th Aug 2010 8:28 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

As with any new brake linnings and discs that are new or have just been replaced there is a short run in time if you want to use this expression. Both disc and linnings need to bed in so as to get maximum braking pressure so take it easy on the brakes for the first 200 miles or so with lots of gentle braking rather then a few heavy ones unless you need to do an emergancy stop Thumbs Up
As for engines, its true that they are made with much more high quality than previous years but i would still take it easy on the engine for a while that way you cant do much damage and on the plus side you wont burn as much diesel Rolling with laughter

Post #73478 6th Aug 2010 8:41 am
alex_pescaru

Uncle Buck wrote:
So should you thrash the engine once in a while - does it help the engine ?

It helps cleaning all deposits of carbon residue from inside the engine, the exhaust manifold and turbo-charger that could lead, in time, to an early turbo-charger malfunction.
You know how it feels when a wheel is full of mud and therefore is out of balance. A lot of vibrations at speed.
The same happens with the turbine and the carbon deposits on its input impeller. An out of balance impeller will translate in vibration in turbine shaft which will lead, in time, to an excessive shaft play. An because the shaft is rotating on an "pressurized oil bearing", that oil, because of the shaft excessive play, will find its way into intake manifold and combustion chamber.
Also the vanes of the turbo's variable geometry could get stuck or move with difficulty because of the same carbon deposits. And a stuck variable geometry will cause a MIL condition and a "limp-home" mode. You don't want to know how much a turbo rebuilt will cost... Laughing

So, yes, once in a while (I do it at least once a week) give a few full throttle accelerations, until the red line - a so called "italian tune up" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_tuneup
You will see that on the first acceleration you'll see behind a big cloud of black smoke, but on the following ones you'll see that there is little or no smoke at all. That first cloud were the carbon deposits on the exhaust manifold.
Don't worry, the engine could take it. In fact the opacity and pollution (emission test) of a diesel engine is measured at its max power RPM, which in the case of FL2 is 4000 RPM. So the engines are built to run at that speed without problems.
But safety first - do it on a free road, without traffic!

Post #73480 6th Aug 2010 9:17 am
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

christo the lord wrote:
lmorris4975 wrote:

i thought that supermarket fuel was the same nowadays is it still not as good as the likes of bp ect

If you live near London, go and have a look at the tankers that go in and out of Vopak Terminal in West Thurrock. I was down there for a meeting and saw BP tankers getting filled up there. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #73481 6th Aug 2010 9:24 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

[quote="christo the lord"]

lmorris4975 wrote:

i thought that supermarket fuel was the same nowadays is it still not as good as the likes of bp ect

Your partly right, the diesel is the same, but it's the additives they put in it that are different.

I would think BP etc will put the better/expensive ones in compared to Tesco etc Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #73482 6th Aug 2010 9:32 am
christo the lord

thanks mate Chris Binns

Post #73484 6th Aug 2010 9:55 am
Uncle Buck

Thanks Alex - excellent response as always !! Bow down Bow down

Post #73507 6th Aug 2010 8:29 pm
Junior

England 

Another urban Myth about supermarkets using different fuel than petrol stations (as if petrol stations would price match Tescos if they were putting more expensive additives in) They are all refined and supplied from the very same giant tanks in the refineries only the "super" diesel has additives-"put a tiger in ya tank" Censored !!!

Post #73516 6th Aug 2010 10:08 pm
lmorris4975

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

[quote="npinks"]

christo the lord wrote:
lmorris4975 wrote:

Your partly right, the diesel is the same, but it's the additives they put in it that are different.

I would think BP etc will put the better/expensive ones in compared to Tesco etc

Hi the diesel is not the same supermarkets use 50 RON, SHELL and BP use 55 RON might not sound much but with the additives it makes for a cleaner burn, less carbon build up in the engine and no black smoke out of the rear, and when you think it only cost about £3.50 more to use V Power than supermarket poo per full tank its well worth the extra. i can never figure out why people spend £1000's on a car and then put cheap crap oil in the engine and poo fuel in the tank, with engine oil and fuel you get what you pay for! Thumbs Up

Post #73522 6th Aug 2010 10:59 pm
christo the lord

[quote="lmorris4975"]

npinks wrote:
christo the lord wrote:
lmorris4975 wrote:

I would think BP etc will put the better/expensive ones in compared to Tesco etc

Hi the diesel is not the same supermarkets use 50 RON, SHELL and BP use 55 RON might not sound much but with the additives it makes for a cleaner burn, less carbon build up in the engine and no black smoke out of the rear, and when you think it only cost about £3.50 more to use V Power than supermarket poo per full tank its well worth the extra. i can never figure out why people spend £1000's on a car and then put cheap crap oil in the engine and poo fuel in the tank, with engine oil and fuel you get what you pay for! Thumbs Up

so do you get more miles per gal with v power or is it a marketing thing Chris Binns

Post #73532 7th Aug 2010 8:50 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

There are several good fuel additives on the market which you can add yourself to help desolve carbon deposites such as redex. You can pick it up from most car stores such as halfords but make sure you get the one for deisel not petrol unless yours is a petrol engine.

Post #73534 7th Aug 2010 9:39 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>