Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > FL2 GS Auto 10my Vibration. Your help please.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White
FL2 GS Auto 10my Vibration. Your help please.

Owned an FL2 GS Auto on 08 plate for 2 years and traded in for new one on 1st March.
Since new I have had a resonance/vibration at 1800rpm and at 2800 rpm. This can be felt through floor and pedals. It is rev related.
Had car back to dealers for fourth time, they have confirmed in previous work sheets "excessive drive line vibration confirmed"
After having car for 2 weeks and substituted propshaft, wheels, then fitted transfer box the problem was still there. I advised them I was rejecting vehicle
land Rover regional engineer road tested today (I was NOT allowed to be present)

He only tested at 1800 rpm.
Verdict "No different from any other vehicle I have driven they all do that, due to trying to lower emmission levels gearbox is changeingup early"
When I asked what further action I could take or who to contact at LR answer "nothing and nobody"

Please let me know if anyone has felt this problem.
PM me if you wish. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #72829 27th Jul 2010 3:54 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Sounds like you will need to get an independent engineer to confirm your thoughts and go down the legal route.

In the short term I would speak to a solicitor specializing in consumer affairs and maybe, on his/her advice, formally reject the car. Amazing sometimes what a solicitors letter will do.

Tenet MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #72834 27th Jul 2010 4:45 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

strange that they admitted that there was a fault/problem and carried out the work to try and fix it, but now that the original fault/problem is still there they are now saying that it is normal ??

I would agree that it looks like you need to go down the legal route to have the situation resolved, although I can appreciate that this is so much hassle on top of what you have had to date.

Iain

Post #72835 27th Jul 2010 4:57 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: FL2 GS Auto 10my Vibration. Your help please.

druand wrote:

land Rover regional engineer road tested today (I was NOT allowed to be present)

He only tested at 1800 rpm.
Verdict "No different from any other vehicle I have driven they all do that, due to trying to lower emmission levels gearbox is changeingup early"
When I asked what further action I could take or who to contact at LR answer "nothing and nobody"

Please let me know if anyone has felt this problem.
PM me if you wish.

WHAT! Your car, your issue and yet you were not able to be present. That makes no sense at all. Have you thought of the Watchdog route? Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #72836 27th Jul 2010 5:13 pm
wingit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Anyone else smell it?????
I call BS Sad

Don't dick about, the advice given of rejecting the vehicle via solicitor sound good to me

Post #72900 28th Jul 2010 10:06 am
xtattsbox

Interesting, as I notified Marshalls, Cambridge of a very similar issue. It becomes a real problem when the car is warm. I had driven down to London this morning and decided on the way back, to drive past the garage and demonstrate the problem.

We drove 200 yards down the A14, and the technician said, "yep, I can hear that, feel it through the seat as well, oh and can you hear that whine from the back, sounds like the rear diff is on the way out. It seems that there is a problem with the diffs, we have 6 cars with rear diff problems, must be a problem as diffs are on back order with LR."

I asked about the vibration, he suggested that the Haldex was working hard because of the diff wearing and that is likely to be where the vibration comes from. Basically, feel the vibration through the seat and it is in the rear of the car, steering wheel, it is the front.

Anyway, long and the short of it, the car is going in next Wednesday, they are going to swap the rear wheels over just to check that isn't the issue. They will swap the Haldex off another car, to check that cures the vibration. Assuming that does, the will order the new diff and haldex and once they arrive, fit the new parts....

Funny how one mans, "they are all like that" is another mans "that's not right and we are going to fix it...." Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #78230 12th Oct 2010 8:09 pm
xtattsbox

Car been there all day yesterday and just had a call from the dealers. They want to keep the car for a bit longer. The need to get one of the LR Technicians to advise their comments on the issue. I understand that this may take "a couple of days". I guess that means that they can't work out what is wrong (or need financial clearance to start playing with the car) Anyway, I have another car that they can use in the meantime... Not one of theirs... I'll ask about that when I go and collect my golf clubs! Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #78852 21st Oct 2010 10:49 am
heliosuk

It might also mean they are seeking advice/assistance from LR perhaps with a view of fixing the problem??

Post #78999 22nd Oct 2010 10:29 pm
xtattsbox

An update. Picked the car up last Friday. New wipers, rear shoes (I know they are expensive from the garage, BUT it did mean that they were able stop the whine from the rear... it was the tyres and if they weren't changed that would be the excuse.)

Shiny clean, inside and out, all serviced. The clock was not set when it came back? I wonder if the battery had been disconnected in the service and I think that the ECU had been upgraded. The gear change is different, the car is holding gears a bit longer.

Vibration is still there as they haven't fixed it yet..

I got a call from the garage today. The man from LR is in on Monday. They are going to send a bod over to collect my car so the LR bod can drive it, find out it vibrates and then suggest a fix.

The vibration is through the seat, and happens between 1700 and 1900 rpm. When the engine is warm it can happen higher than that. Not too violent, just feels like the rear wheels are out of trim.... As it is Rev and not speed related, I think it rules out Diffs, Haldex, everything behind the Gearbox and the engine.

It happens when the engine is under load at similar revs... It has to be something to do with either the gearbox, dual mass flywheel or Power Transfer Switch...

Wait and see what happens on Monday Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #79364 27th Oct 2010 2:10 pm
druand

Hope its not the same Censored who tested mine and said it was a characteristic of vehicle.
He told dealers no further action. His title "regional engineering manager"
They had already fitted crankshaft damper, substitute propshaft, haldex and had done other basic checks.
I have always suspected torque converter.
Now done almost 11000 miles.

My problem will soon be history, new SD arriving next month. All FL2's (3) Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #79392 27th Oct 2010 11:28 pm
xtattsbox

druand wrote:
Hope its not the same Censored who tested mine and said it was a characteristic of vehicle.
He told dealers no further action. His title "regional engineering manager"
They had already fitted crankshaft damper, substitute propshaft, haldex and had done other basic checks.
I have always suspected torque converter.
Now done almost 11000 miles.

My problem will soon be history, new SD arriving next month.

I'd have too much fun with them on that. Once the engine is really warm, it gets very bad and feels like the car is going to shake itself to bits!! It happens when Cruise is engaged and so by "under load" I mean just pulling along, not accelerating.

When I went on the test day, the Freel2 I drove there vibrated slightly when accelerating, but once cruising it stopped. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #79403 28th Oct 2010 9:27 am
xtattsbox

Druand, it looks like the fun is about to start.

The Land Rover engineer took my car and 2 others out today. I called the garage to find out what the result was and was told. "The noise that you describe is totally normal, all the cars are the same, there are no problems with the car"

I was told that I could come and pick the car up...

I did quite well to not have a complete melt down, but very calmly explained that this was not under any circumstances acceptable as the problem with my car was not a "noise" my car vibrates. My car vibrates to a point that it feels as if the rear wheels are out of balance. I asked the guy who answered the phone what the engineer was sent out to investigate as it certainly wasn't a noise!

He said that he would call me back. He did, and the dealer are going to do some work.

So here is a thing. The garage was not able to do anything until the LR man had a look at the car. The LR man said that there is nothing wrong with it. The garage has now decided that they will swap the prop shaft off another car to see if that resolves this issue. Don't get me wrong, I am delighted that they are trying to resolve the issue, but for them to try to resolve the problem (that LR says doesn't exsist), they must accept that the car is not right. So when the guy from LR comes back and says "nothing wrong with the noise on any of those" did someone not say, "Noise, no that one vibrates like a Censored at about 1500-1900 rpm, That one has a vibration issue"

All very strange... Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #79675 1st Nov 2010 5:39 pm
druand

Sounds like same engineer who tested my FL2, or LR have info on problem and not willing to admit to it.
xtattsbox, I have sent a PM to you. All FL2's (3) Gone

Post #79678 1st Nov 2010 6:50 pm
xtattsbox

This is priceless. The Regional Technical Manager from Landrover has filed his report and said that the car is operating within "normal parameters". I drove the car to the dealership when it was shaking like a bloody leaf and went out with one of the Technicians who, without any prompting, said, "oh that isn't right, oh and the rear diff sounds a bit dodgy". When I booked the car in for service, I advised that it needed to be warm to and the hotter the car gets, the worse the problem gets.

So then, LR Customer Services have called the dealer. "No one in the dealer can replicate the problem", they have told me. The RTM has said there isn't a problem.

I am absolutely livid. The guy that came out with me and witnessed the problem is on holiday.

I was intending to keep this bloody car for a long time.

What an absolute crock of cack. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #79725 2nd Nov 2010 4:05 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Ok mines not an auto, but mine hasnt got the slightest vibration at any speed or revs, its as smooth as a babies bum so they arent ALL like it as they said. I actual fact for a fourwheel drive on the standard mud and snow tyres its better than I ever expected it to be and its as smooth as my previous Jag was. I was only wrong once and thats when I thought I was but wasnt.

2010 Freelander 2 XS Stornaway Grey
2010 Aston DBS Morning Frost
2010 Bentley Continental Brooklands Green

Post #79734 2nd Nov 2010 6:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>