« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Need to replace gearbox solenoid
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black
Need to replace gearbox solenoid

Having the problem where gear lever will go straight past 5th gear resulting in difficulty selecting 5th and 6 gear when driving. Apparently its the 'lock out' solenoid which has failed.

I would like to know either how much this will cost to replace at the stealers and 'B' were abouts it is and is it a job I could do myslef, I'm sure if i can access it then it cant be too difficult to just swap out a solenoid Question

Please help me if you can Bow down freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #71879 11th Jul 2010 9:44 pm
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Had a look at the manual gearbox but all I could find was about a electronic reverse inhibitor which could be a solenoid, but that only prevents reverase gear selected while car moving forward. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #71886 12th Jul 2010 8:12 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

have you tried greasing the linkage cables? especially under the bonnet, your fault may be different but greasing mine improved the gear change no end.
I greased the gear stick end first under the gaiter but that had little affect. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #71892 12th Jul 2010 10:24 am
s7gpt

thanks all, the problem I have is that sometimes ( intermitent ) i can move the gear stick all the way to the right while the car is moving forward, just like you can when the car is staitionary.

What should happen is that when the car is moving you can obnly go as far as selecting 5th/6th gear.

Hope the above makes sense and if not move your gear stick all the way to the right when stainary and then try again when moving, the only option you should have is to go into 5n or 6th whilst driving. I periodically get to go well past 5th gear and have to 'hunt for it'

having read other posts I'm led to believe there is some kind of solenoid that kicks in about 5mph to prevent you maoving the gearstick all the way and subsequently going into reverse but know idea where it is Big Cry freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #71920 12th Jul 2010 5:40 pm
s7gpt

Udash wrote:
Had a look at the manual gearbox but all I could find was about a electronic reverse inhibitor which could be a solenoid, but that only prevents reverase gear selected while car moving forward.

that could be it, any chance of letting me know where it is / how to access etc so i can try and fix / eliminate it Thumbs Up

i bet its somewhere in the centre console as it seems to be the route of evil since the main dealer took it apart to fix the recall heater thingy Evil or Very Mad freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #71932 12th Jul 2010 8:14 pm
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I had a look at again, I only have the info about manual gearbox and there's none I can inside the gearbox so it looks like it's in the gear lever mechanism but unfortunately I don't have (not saved any as I have an auto). One thing I could suggest is that you get a one days access to GTR site for £9 and you can then get all the instructions on how to take it apart and all the rest, also you get full access to all info for 24 hours and you can print. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #71995 13th Jul 2010 7:14 pm
s7gpt

Udash wrote:
I had a look at again, I only have the info about manual gearbox and there's none I can inside the gearbox so it looks like it's in the gear lever mechanism but unfortunately I don't have (not saved any as I have an auto). One thing I could suggest is that you get a one days access to GTR site for £9 and you can then get all the instructions on how to take it apart and all the rest, also you get full access to all info for 24 hours and you can print.

Thanks UDASH but found the answer here http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1qn9j-...-be-fitted cant believe how much of a mess these so called experts can make of my car whilst carrying out a 'recall'

Would prefer to do myself though and will be looking for this grey wire tommorrow before taking it back to the dealers to more damage Evil or Very Mad freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #71996 13th Jul 2010 7:33 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

I had this fault on my previous FL2 - the day before a long holiday drive - the dealer fixed it quickly once he had the part - access was from inside the car be removing trim around gear lever I believe. mine was a warranty repair so can't comment on cost etc

Richard

Post #72066 14th Jul 2010 6:31 pm
ou toppie

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Also had the same problem at around 43k klm. Fixed under warranty and it is a solonoid and it is under the gear lever gater. I think, from memory, it is down the right hand side of the hole after you have moved the gator. R/H as you sit in the seat.
Hope this helps.

Post #72129 15th Jul 2010 4:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1