Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Which 19" alloys to have?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
smellee

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Which 19" alloys to have?

18" HSE alloys have about 1-2mm tread left. Can buy either 19" chrome shadow, 19" Diamond Sport things(the 2 tone ones) or could just replace the 18" tyres all for the same money.
I have noticed a few small scratches on the 18" rims, probably due to stones, will these show up worse on the 19" chromes?
What does everyone else think of the 19" alloys? Tyre replacement won't be for another 4 years based on current mileage.

Post #71583 6th Jul 2010 8:05 am
tonka

United Kingdom 

What kind of miles did u get out of the 18" tyres ??? If I had all the money I spent on Beer!, I'd spend it on Beer!.

Post #71589 6th Jul 2010 9:37 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Morning smellee - well just a short while ago someone on here said anything over 17'' are fashion accessories but like us, seeing as you went for the HSE I doubt you will be mug plugging in it every weekend Laughing
Just been through the same dilemma as you and ended up with a brand new set of HSE's alloys + Scorpions for £500. As you suggested a set of tyres alone are about £500, or you could go for the wheel + tyre 10 spoke 18'' (check out Mr CG's gallery) affectionally called 'Iffy's' which are selling for £550. For the diamond turned 19'' look at ad210358 gallery on your colour car (Good colour choice Very Happy ). 19'' Triple sports which I do like are are going for £600 complete set, or for Shadow Chrome (£900 +/-) on your colour car look at MLEE's gallery from memory as with the colour coded body kit just looks brilliant (It was for sale) but once scraped/chipped they are a nightmare to get back to standard.
Lastly you could go for these but I don't want you to have them....because I want them and Mrs Strut says 'NO' Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry
A lot of dosh but yummy !
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FREELANDER-2-19-ALLO...255b6bb2e7
Edit: Don't forget with different styled rims you'll need new centre caps and if you go up a size tell your insurance company Thumbs Up

Post #71590 6th Jul 2010 9:38 am
smellee

Tonka - made 32k miles so far with about 4k to go, not bad I thought - Wranglers.

mcphersonstrut - you've now made it a harder choice....
Looking at ad210358 - damn near identical to mine, the diamonds look quite the part.
Are those ebay ones from the XS style pack? Is insurance likely to go up? And how many centre caps colours are there? I don't think mine at the moment quite match my HSE 18" anyway.
Are the Diamond turned alloys coated like the shadow chrome?
Any effect on "image"/boy racer appeal (I'm not one - accountancy is my life)?
Sorry, but as somone once said "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition"!

Post #71592 6th Jul 2010 10:14 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

AD's Diamond turned - initially not too sure but seen a few new 'FL sports' with them on and after viewing AD's car at a meet up (He makes nice coffee but limits you to one cup Whistle ) I do like them.
Those wheels I gave you the link for - yes they are off the XS style pack, but they arn't really for sale it's just an illusion Shocked (Repeat after me - I will not buy McP's wheels, I will not buy McP's wheels Laughing )
Centre caps - well you've got me on that one but as a guess the FL o.e range of 16's/17's & 18's + the triple sports, Iffy's and those wheels that arn't for sale on ebay will be one colour silver (Sparkle silver ?), and the shadows obviously another - I'd wait for another forum answer or you could always ring a dealer parts dept. CG got the Iffy's I'm sure he will comment later whether the caps are the same.
Insurance - Any change of wheel from factory standard is a 'modification' (Even staying with same size) so you should declare it. Don't know about an oncost, some will charge some won't but if a low life scum decides he's/she's having them or the complete car and your not quick enough to catch him/her with the heavy end of your baseball bat (Remember anything more than 20 hits is no longer self defence Laughing ) then it's most likely that you wouldn't get them replaced.
EDIT: Triple sports are not sparkle silver they are high gloss silver finish Embarassed

Post #71593 6th Jul 2010 10:47 am
redlabel

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Why not go for something special? Something that's not OEM.
Go crazy! We have 5x108 with 63,4 center. You can go 19x8,5 with as low as ET35 Smile
Ford\volvo\jag uses the same, 5x108. FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #71607 6th Jul 2010 3:03 pm
ad210358

England 

There is a set of new HSE wheels and tyres with the bidding at under £500 at the moment
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...K:MEWAX:IT
But One Bottle Strut has raised some good points but the cream of the bunch has to be the Shadow Chromes but you need to stay away from the kerbs though very expensive to repair as some members have had the misfortune to find out.

Note. No limit on the coffee Andy but I just thought you was in a hurry to get away to collect your cough RRS cough Whistle p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Last edited by ad210358 on 6th Jul 2010 7:29 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #71617 6th Jul 2010 7:21 pm
smellee

ad210358, how come you ended up with the Diamond turned? Insurance said that it won't cost a penny more for upgraded wheels (probably until renewal Whistle ). Are yours coated like shadow chromes?

Post #71618 6th Jul 2010 7:26 pm
ad210358

England 

smellee, I was in the right place at the right time that's how I come to have them, they are bare alloy spokes but laquered with the internals painted Lago I think as fitted to the Sport. Insurance company were not bothered which I didn't expect them to be, I did enqure in the past to see what difference a remap would make and they said no difference either nor do they put a limit on the size of trailer I can tow unlike some appear to.

I did get hold of a spare pair of 18" Iffeys but could not take stigma that they bring Whistle so never fitted them and more or less swopped them for the Diamonds. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #71620 6th Jul 2010 7:39 pm
smellee

Ta ad210358, is Lago slighlty darker than Stornoway? I can't see too much difference with yours.

Post #71621 6th Jul 2010 7:43 pm
ad210358

England 

Exactly, I cannot either but if you put the wheel against the Stornoway you can see the difference, Lago seems to have more depth to it. I like the wheels more it seems to toughen up the look a bit, still like the original HSE wheels though. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #71625 6th Jul 2010 7:51 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

(Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #71633 6th Jul 2010 10:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

These are not at a bad price (the staff are a great help) may be of help to any one in the North West !
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie..._500wt_928
All the best Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #71635 7th Jul 2010 8:15 am
Junior

England 

Mr Strut, found these maybe Mrs Strut willlet you stretch £595.99

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/19-2010-Model-Year-F...20b1d9baf5

Post #71685 7th Jul 2010 11:18 pm
andyr

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Izmir Blue

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...:MESELX:IT

Cheers,